The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 17, 2012, 04:53 PM   #1
newshooter1992

Mossberg 464 - Sights/Scope Add On Questions

My first gun that I purchased was a mossberg 464 lever action rifle that I got a couple of years ago. I love the firearm in every way..... except for the factory sights! I could never get a hold of the semi-buckhorn sight with the front bead sight, so I have decided that I need to move onto something new. I know for sure that I want new iron sights but I am debating on getting a scope mounted on as well.

I will be using my rifle mainly to shoot paper targets and rarely to hunt small varmints or hogs at a friends ranch. Ghost rings seem favorable so I wanted everyone's opinion on what's best to buy. I have done several weeks of research and still have some questions.

For my firearm, I am pretty sure (but not certain) that I need a dovetail style sight for the front and either a dovetail or drill and tap style sight for the rear. The question I have is: Is a scope worth buying to be put on a lever action, or should I stick to cheaper sights? I can buy cheaper dovetail style rear sights that I can put in the slot that is in the middle of the barrel and not mount a scope, or buy a more expensive drill and tap sight to fit on the rear behind the action to allow a scope. If I do get a scope mounted I want to either be able to detach it, or have the see through/raised scope rings.

Keep in mind that I am new to altering a firearm in anyway so details are necessary if I am wrong about anything!

Thank you for your time and effort for helping a new shooter!

Here are some things I have been looking at:

(Start at 1:55) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9szECox3YDo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p_579000163_1.jpg (16.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg p_780001222_1.jpg (19.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 702930.jpg (68.9 KB, 22 views)

Tags
dovetail site , iron sights , lever action , mossberg 464 , scope help