The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 18, 2018, 01:29 PM   #26
Don Fischer

Funny thing about scope's, everyone seem's to know what is just right. That used to be, more time's than not, a 3-9x. I've been there with 3-9x, still have a couple of them on rifles. The only magnums I ever had were two 338 mag's and a 7mm Rem mag, On the 7mm I had a fixed 4x Denver Redfield, never ever felt I didn't have enough scope. Of course back then POI could change simply adjusting the power of a variable scope. My first 338 had a new 2 3/4x Redfield, Denver of course. The second had a 2-7x Leupold. Of the three rifles and scope's what I still have today is the two Denver Redfields. The 2 3/4xand a 1-4x I don't recall what I had it on. Today the 2 3/4x is on my 30-06 and is super. the 1-4x is on a 308, wouldn't trade it. Now I hate to admit it but todays scopes have a lot of good over my old Redfield's. New scope's have 1/4 min click adjustment's and my old Redfield's have pressure adjustment's a 1" per graduation. But that can change to 1/2" by using a different power! I still use them without problem's. Old and outdated but still working well.
Old February 18, 2018, 06:32 PM   #27
Wyosmith

I agree with agtman
Old February 18, 2018, 09:23 PM   #28
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyosmith
I agree with agtman
I didn't say I disagreed with him, there just wasn't a lot of specifics. In his post agtman only quantified quality with price.

Scopes, I agree buy a good scope. What might be a quality scope to some people, might be considered scraping the bottom for others. To me a quality hunting scope is one that maintains zero time after time being beat around, that adjustments move when I make clicks when I need to, has good eye relief, generous eyebox, and has decent glass.

Low rings, I don't wholly disagree with that but as some of us know low rings don't always work best. Stock comb height, scope eye pieces, and people are different requiring different height rings to accommodate one or many of these things. I like to keep my scopes low as well, but sometimes low rings simply don't work.

Now on to scope rings and bases, what's quality again? Do I need Nightforce, Badger Ordinance, or Seekins Precision that'll cost me close to $200 if not more to have quality? Or will Talley mounts or Warne, Leupold, Burris, and yes Weaver provide me with a quality mounting system that is both durable and reliable at $40-75?
Old February 18, 2018, 10:30 PM   #29
1MoreFord

Depending on your intended use for the rifle I can envision a 1-4, 2-7, or 3-9 recommendation. What's your game and terrain intentions?