The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 22, 2020, 02:24 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Any hands-on experience with any of these Pedersoli replicas?

I've reached a point where I'm interested in trying to reconnect with BP, particularly as I think they'll get more expensive soon.

Please note, if there is a BP event at a local gun club, I may be able to shoot them so shooting is an option, but mostly it will for just looking damn fine in my hand or on the wall!

NB: if a gun is a replica of a 1870 or older design, I can buy it, unfettered EXCEPT if it actually fires a proper firearms cartridge ie rim- or centrefire.

I'd like to acquire one long arm and I'm looking at the following examples.

The Pedersoli Rolling Block Musket in .50 cal (Actually a muzzle-loader despite being originally a single shot cartridge gun and has FO sights!)

The Pedersoli Frontier Percussion Rifle in .50.

The Pedersoli 1859 Sharps Carbine in .54.

The Pedersoli Enfield 1858 in .577

If you have owned or used any of the above, please give me your opinions on them and any user advice you may have!

Thank you!
Old March 22, 2020, 06:58 PM   #2
JT-AR-MG42

Hey James,
First wanted to compliment your posts in the General section concerning Armageddon 2.0.

My experience with all the models listed has been with mostly either custom made (for me) guns or originals.

First advice when looking at any of those is how they fit you. It is the only way to know which to get.
Enfield stocks do not fit me at all.
The .50 cal cap gun would be the most economical (if you do not cast your own), but again, proper fit (eyes closed, put the gun on your upper arm and head to the stock.
Open your eyes. If the sights do not line up clean for you,
either keep looking or learn to live with making it work.) is crucial for trouble free shooting and good scores.

Rolling Blocks have a ton of drop in the stock. Strongly recommend you shoulder one before buying.

The Sharps carbine would look the best on the wall, but the reality of shooting (do you cast your own?) store bought 54 cal ringtail or tie base bullets is not cheap.
You will learn to wear long sleeve shirts with gauntlets (gas leakage)for safety when shooting.

Totally my opinion based on my experiences and not knowing yours.
My order of choice for occasional shooting. If they fit you.
1. the Frontier cap gun
2. the Enfield
3. The Sharps carbine

Good luck with decisions and shopping!
JT
Old March 23, 2020, 12:26 AM   #3
Pond, James Pond

Great overview! Thanks!

First off, the likely situation is that I buy these off-screen and never really get to try them before delivery.

This may not be the case for the Enfield, the Sharps and I could shoulder a Missouri or Rocky Mountain Hawken, the latter two being in .54

This is because all of those are sold in an online shop in Estonia.

I see the shop sells both the 2- and 3-band Enfields.

The Rolling Block would be from a Polish online shop so no trying that first.

Shame as I really like the look in a "steam-punk" way with its FO sights. It also has a means of using regular primers which are cheaper here than percussion caps. Finally, it's the cheapest, being on offer.

Buying bullets is a case of either buying from this local shop (they sell the Enfield .577 Minies and they sell .490 and .528 roundballs, so I guess that would suit the .50 and .54 cals), buying from the Polish shop or investing in a stack of molding equipment and buy whatever they have and use that.

But it's worth remembering that, as BP shooting events are few and far between, it not something that will see much live action...

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; March 23, 2020 at 12:43 AM.
Old March 23, 2020, 10:08 AM   #4
Pahoo

Excellent NON-Replicas

To date, I only have experience with the Rolling Block, .45 Scout, .50 Scout, Mountain Hawken, Frontier Percussion Rifle in .50.Kentucky pistol, 20/20 Howdah, 12Ga SXS. I no longer own a Frontier Percussion/flint Rifle.
As you know, Pedersoli makes a wide variety of BP Non-Replicas and I hope they never stop. Currently, I do not shoot competitively but can attest to the quality and performance. However, I did not care for The Pedersoli Frontier Percussion/Flint. Just not my style. …..

Be Safe !!!
Old March 23, 2020, 10:23 AM   #5
arcticap

Cabela's also sold the Pedersoli Rolling Block under their label and information about it can be searched by Googling "Cabela's Rolling Block Muzzleloader".

Maybe you can find a used one for sale in the USA by using that search name.
I think that over its production period that model was offered for sale with slightly different features such as which type of caps can be used with it.

Here's 2 videos that provide a glimpse of its performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_2uSvEdgSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHHwVaslEIQ
Old March 23, 2020, 10:32 AM   #6
Jim Watson

If I were going to shoot a muzzleloader, I would want it to be a traditional style. A breechloader faked up into a muzzleloader like that Rolling Block does not appeal to me at all.

A friend has a .50 Kentucky/Pennsylvania rifle that is very nice and I would make the similar Pedersoli Frontier my first choice of your list.

Nothing wrong with an Enfield, built to be "soldier proof" it would serve well.

The Sharps is the only "capping breechloader" seen very often now. It is much different to manage than a muzzleloader. There is discussion on the Shiloh board:
https://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewf...de730997d6789d

Pedersoli makes a conversion for their percussion guns to take #209 shotgun primers.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Davi...it/1608590.uts

There is a maker of little bushings to let you use rifle or pistol primers in a #209 device.
http://www.prbullet.com/lrvf.htm
Look for reviews, it is not always the way to go.
Old March 27, 2020, 01:31 AM   #7
Pond, James Pond

In case contributors haven’t seen the other thread on the subject, I wanted to say thanks.

I eventually decided upon the Sharps.

It was much more expensive but it was the one I wanted deep down.

The others were very nice, of course, and had their advantages but not like the Sharps in my eyes.

It’s been a long time reaching this point actually. The next will be to shoot.
Old March 27, 2020, 03:23 AM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Pretty soon I expect you'll be changing your screen name to "Quigley, Matthew Quigley."
Jeepaholic
Old March 27, 2020, 04:06 AM   #9
Pond, James Pond

Tempting!

Although not a username that rolls off the tongue after that 3rd scotch!