The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 12, 2020, 01:04 PM   #1
jimku

Taurus warranty work

Does anyone know what Taurus does if you send in a defective gun and it is beyond repair ... and that particular model is no longer made so they can't simply replace it?
Old July 12, 2020, 02:18 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

What they would have to do is:
Pay you for it or replace it.
They can't send a defective gun back to you, and they can't keep your property without coming to some agreement with you.
Old July 12, 2020, 02:30 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Good luck.
Old July 12, 2020, 03:28 PM   #4
jimku

I sent my model 941 22 magnum in for warranty. When I got it, it shot WAY to the left. It has adjustable sights. I moved the rear sight to the right as far as it will go and it STILL shoots left. I don't know why I didn't send it in back when I got it, but I didn't, I just never shot the thing. Just yesterday I finally sent it in for warranty work. They have affirmed that it is covered by their warranty. The 941 is no longer made, now they have the model 942. It is beyond me how they could fix my original gun ... the barrel has to be set in the frame slightly off-kilter, and it is beyond me how they could fix that. I will be happy if they offer to replace it with a 942, which actually isn't as nice of a gun as the 941.

The 941 is highly polished stainless and has a fully adjustable rear sight for both windage and elevation. The 942 is matt stainless and the rear sight is only adustable for windage.

Last edited by jimku; July 12, 2020 at 03:36 PM.
Old July 12, 2020, 05:30 PM   #5
jetinteriorguy

I had a Rossi 3” with a 6 shot cylinder (forget the actual model) that wouldn’t function and was part of the safety recall. It couldn’t be repaired, so they offered a replacement of a Model 605, no other choice for recourse such as a credit or any other possible model. Just to get to this point took a year. Then three months later I still hadn’t received my replacement revolver. Upon calling they said they were out of stock but I could take a Poly Protector instead so I figured what the heck. Three weeks later it arrived, definitely not my favorite gun. Heaviest trigger by far of any gun I’ve ever owned or shot, like crazy heavy. As part of the recall I was supposed to receive a check for $50.00 to help cover the cost of the FFL who received the replacement for me. Six months later I got the check. So after almost two years of messing around I have a new plastic gun I don’t like. But hey, it beats a stick in the eye.
Old July 12, 2020, 05:51 PM   #6
jimku

Well, that wasn't exactly uplifting.

I might run into a bit of that because the Taurus 942 22 mag is brand new for 2020 and I don't even see them for sale anywhere yet.

Last edited by jimku; July 12, 2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old July 13, 2020, 12:03 AM   #7
Bill DeShivs

Jimku- they will probably just bend your existing barrel.
Old July 13, 2020, 01:32 AM   #8
jimku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
Jimku- they will probably just bend your existing barrel.
I don't really care what they do so long as it shoots to point of aim for windage from 7 yards clear out to 100 yards. And it damn straight better be pretty darned accurate in all respects. If it doesn't or isn't they will be getting it sent right back again. I don't think doing something stupid like bending the barrel can accomplish that. If they bend the barrel, the bore can't even be consistently round, and there goes accuracy. But I doubt if they will try bending the barrel because it would take one hell of a press to bend a 2" snubby barrel and not mar it up to the point of not being acceptable.

Last edited by jimku; July 13, 2020 at 01:41 AM.
Old July 13, 2020, 02:15 AM   #9
veprdude

They were offering G2Cs in exchange for the recalled striker-fired 24/7s and other models under recall. Pretty poor deal if you had an OSS DS or something. Taurus really is a garbage company. My buddy has a OSS DS in 40. If you cock it, put the safety on and smack the side of it, it will release the safety and dry fire. Good stuff.
Old July 13, 2020, 10:36 AM   #10
kymasabe

I had the misfortune of having to deal with Taurus's abysmal customer service. Once was enough. I won't buy another Taurus.
Old July 13, 2020, 10:46 AM   #11
buck460XVR

I would think it may vary by how Taurus' warranty was written at the time of manufacture. While many manufacturures will do warranty type repairs on their guns no longer covered by warranty outta good faith. Not all have or not all do. Sometimes depends on the mood they are in. If you have a gun with a lifetime warranty, you probably will get satisfaction. If your gun had the standard "one year warranty" so popular years ago, you might be SOL.

Odds are, the only way to get a legitimate answer is to call their customer service. I had one item repaired by Taurus.....a Model R92 lever action .357 carbine that didn't feed quite right. I had to pay to ship it there, they returned it to my door repaired for free and it has worked very well since.
Old July 13, 2020, 10:55 AM   #12
jetinteriorguy

Oh yeah, they did offer to return my Rossi but if I accepted it back no more warranty. I almost wished I had just taken it back and taken it to a good gunsmith to see if it could be fixed. I really liked the Rossi when it would work, fit my hand and I shot it pretty accurately. But I just didn’t want to take the chance and wind up with zilch.
Old July 13, 2020, 11:10 AM   #13
pete2

In the past Taurus has had their problems, the guns were pretty nice but didn't always work. I have seen good things about them lately but after reading this thread, I don't want another one(bought one several years ago, not reliable).
Old July 13, 2020, 11:29 AM   #14
jimku

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymasabe View Post
I won't buy another Taurus.
I have a Taurus .41 mag Tracker that is flawless and that I really love.
But I have a 605 357 that I sent in for warranty work the day I brought it home, and now the 941 is in for warranty work.
There is a 12-week turn-around, a long wait, and once your gun is received, it goes into a black hole with zero information on what is going on, until it is actually being worked on ... 12 weeks down the road.
Supposedly their new CEO is fully aware of their problems, especially the lousy warranty reputation, and is committed to turning things around. We shall see.
If I get either of those guns back in unsatisfactory condition, I too will never buy another Taurus.
Old July 13, 2020, 02:29 PM   #15
Bill DeShivs

Bending barrels to change point of impact is a common gunsmithing procedure that is entirely acceptable.
Old July 13, 2020, 02:38 PM   #16
marvin02

I have a Taurus TX-22 that has a bad barrel. Took 12 1/2 minutes on 6/22/20 on the phone for Taurus to agree to send me a new Barrel (the barrel is a known problem with the TX-22) and according to tracking it will arrive today 7/13/20. Hope it's better than the first one, but so far their customer service has been fine for me. This is my first experience with Taurus.
Old July 13, 2020, 02:47 PM   #17
jimku

Quote:
Bending barrels to change point of impact is a common gunsmithing procedure that is entirely acceptable.
I am the one who will determine "acceptable". The gun shoots so far left, and the barrel is so short that bending it enough to correct POI will screw up the locking of the crane and if that is the case it will not be acceptable. And if the polished barrel shows mars or scratches it will not be acceptable. And if it shoots to POA at 7 yards but not at 50 yards it will not be acceptable. All of that is a very tall order for trying to fix the problem by bending that stubby little barrel as well as the ejector shroud. I don't think any COMPETENT gunsmith would even attempt it. Maybe with a 4" or 6" barrel but not with a stubby little 1 7/8" barrel.

I doubt if they are going to bend my barrel. I had never heard of such a thing. So I went googling. As near as I can tell it only applies to shotguns, requires a large machine and an expert with that machine and is not common at all. What does appear to be fairly common are lamebrain idiot skeet shooters propping the barrel between two bags of shot and whacking it in the middle with another bag of shot and hoping they get it right ... 'cause if they don't it's a new barrel. I can find no such references for rifle barrels let alone a 2" snubby barrel and no references of it being a common gunsmithing practice.

Last edited by jimku; July 13, 2020 at 08:45 PM.
Old July 17, 2020, 01:47 PM   #18
Bill DeShivs

I already gave you the best advice you will get.
Send the gun to Taurus-and let us know what they say.
Old July 17, 2020, 02:52 PM   #19
artoo

There are 4 things one can do. Send the gun back to Taurus. This is the best idea and agree with Bill De Shivs.

Have a local accredited gunsmith take care of the problem.

Or sell the gun with the caveat that the purchaser be told of the problem.

Last is eat the cost of the gun and keep it.

With the first three ideas things go forward to a conclusion.

I had to send a Ruger SR-9 back to Ruger ( it was one of the first production models) and the trigger was unsafe. I was not happy, but sucked it up and sent it in. It took a couple of months, but the gun came back and has worked ever since.

Anything else is just sour grapes.
Old July 17, 2020, 03:30 PM   #20
jimku

Quote:
I already gave you the best advice you will get.
Send the gun to Taurus-and let us know what they say.
Best advice I've gotten and exactly what I have done. It arrived there yesterday. Now I wait 12 weeks to find out what they intend to do with it.
The 12-week wait is worth it to me. The gun has just sat there on the shelf unused for two years or so because it is so inaccurate, so if they manage to fix it ... or replace it with a newer model I will be happy, like getting a new gun for nothing.
I can't sell it because I would never pass a gun this inaccurate off to anyone else.
My original intent was to just eat the cost of the gun and keep it. Sending it in for warranty work is miles better than that.

You can bet that I will let this forum know the outcome!!!
Old July 19, 2020, 06:58 PM   #21
Henry400

Following to see what happens. I have a PT-145 Millenium (not Pro) that needs a new polymer frame.
Old July 19, 2020, 09:37 PM   #22
kenny53

I have two Taurus, Model 85, 38 spl. and a TX 22. Both guns have been flawless.
Old July 20, 2020, 06:33 AM   #23
stagpanther

I had an old taurus revolver that worked well. All my Rossis shoot great but only after I did invasive surgery--and woe be to you if you lose even a small screw--the entire firearm will need to be packed and shipped to Brazil for more than a 3 hour tour (Gilligan's Island).

These days, a registered piece of mail or package will take several weeks just to make it between the shipper and destination. There has been a stress breakdown in shipping services as they are getting overloaded. About 50% of my packages arrive damaged and/or often go missing for weeks as they are rerouted and not checked in/out during the pandemic.

I've decided that I can no longer support any firearms importer/manufacturer that dos not have factory-level maintenance support in the country. Taurus is one of these, as is Rock Island Armory. They are otherwise just glorified importers/distributers, their profit model is not going to fit well with quality reliable service and warranty work IMO.
Old July 20, 2020, 09:40 AM   #24
44caliberkid

My oldest Taurus is a PT-99 (Beretta 92) that is over 30 years old, has thousands of rounds through it, including a lot of my favorite Blue Dot maximum load (115 gr. JHP@1380fps), and never a problem. I've had a Raging Bull 44 Magnum for 25 years, that has been my primary handgun hunting pistol, taking many deer and an elk. Never a problem. Bought a Taurus 1911 when they first came out and it is a great pistol, as good as any of my Colts or clones. Just got a Taurus 1911 Commander this spring because it was on clearance and I just couldn't resist the price. Only have about 300 rounds through it so far, works great, except I can feel the connection between the trigger stirrup and the grip safety when I squeeze the trigger. I can fix that someday and it doesn't interfere with the operation of the pistol. I also have a Rossi Model 92 replica in 44 WCF that has always worked well. Bought it from a cowboy action shooter who used it in competition. Since it's a strong locked breech and the same gun is chambered in 44 Magnum, I've made some 44-40 reloads that are 44 Magnum level for use only in that rifle, with no problems. These reloads are clearly marked as I have toggle link 44-40's too, that I would never fire them in. So far, I can't complain about my personal experience with Taurus.
Old July 20, 2020, 05:15 PM   #25
jimku

44caliberkid, I think that is by far the majority of Taurus buyers' experience. I think the "bad rep" is just that negative things get plastered all over the place and the good stuff doesn't. Just like the news. And some poor slobs like me are just "lemon magnets". But even I have a Taurus that has been flawless since day-1, that I dearly love and prefer over any S&W I have picked up ... it is my Tracker .41 magnum. All makers have lemons ... I have two original Ruger .44 mag Vaqueros that are so inaccurate that all they are good for is paper weights ... not one, but two. On the other hand my Ruger MKIII Competition is one of the two most accurate handguns I have ever shot ... the other was my old Dan Wesson 357 that was stolen in a burglary.

Last edited by jimku; July 20, 2020 at 05:26 PM.