The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 23, 2017, 07:52 PM   #1
Bluecthomas

Remington 31

Just picked up an older Remington 31 pump action 12 guages. Took it for a testing today.

Fully functional. Except getting a shell to come out for feeding requires you to slam it back.
Pull back nice and slow, no load.

Shotguns I've fired, my win 1200, they loaded on a slow pull.
Not hating this if it's normal. Can clear chamber with it loaded. Can drop 4 in the bottom and fifth in breech to use a full 5 pack.
So, is the slam it back action normal for a rem 31? Or do I need to see a gunsmith?

Also, it only hold four 2 3/4s. This is a home defense gun. Feeder part spring pushes is about 1.5" long. Can it be shortened for a 5 pack load with empty chamber?
Only need 3/4" of an inch, just enough for the brass.
Old April 24, 2017, 12:42 AM   #2
Kilrain

No, you shouldn't need to "slam" it open to get a round released from the magazine.

Initial thought would be dirty/rusty gun. Completely disassemble, thoroughly clean and oil, reassemble and test it. If that doesn't work, weak magazine spring and/or damaged/worn shell stop and/or damaged/worn cartridge carrier would be my next things to check.

On the 31, the left side shell stop(looking top down, so when you turn it over it will be on the right) is primary, moves in and out and is acuated by the cartridge carrier. The right side shell stop is secondary, moves up and down and is actuated by the bolt slide.

Most likely, if a good cleaning doesn't help, it's one or a combination of the above parts causing the problem, most likely cartridge carrier and/or primary cartridge stop. Luckily, they aren't very expensive and are available from gunpartscorp.com(Numrich).

Regarding the magazine capacity and follower, you might be able to shorten one and squeeze in an extra round, but I wouldn't recommend it, but it's your gun so... I'd say buy one from Numrich($6.25), cut and try that one, keep the original in case things don't work out.

Good luck, the 31 is a GREAT gun, one of the most underrated pump guns there is.

Last edited by Kilrain; April 24, 2017 at 12:55 AM.
Old April 24, 2017, 09:58 PM   #3
Bluecthomas

It is an older gun, not fresh out of a box. Handling does get your hands dirty. So I'll start with a good cleaning.

Do like how it handles all in all. With the 18.5" cut down barrel, it's got a real nice balance.

I definitely prefer a pump to semi auto. Seen to many semis fail to function after just a few rounds.

Need to part shop in general for it. A nice new stock with PG. And a spare follower...
That low capacity sucks for a home defense gun. My 1200 can extend the mag tube easily...

Lucky me, I got a gunsmith literally with stones throw. Let him cut down the follower. Way it's shaped, I expect to need to cut out middle and rejoin the ends.
Old April 24, 2017, 10:50 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Saw a trapshooter having a lot of failures to load the second shell at doubles with a Model 31. I was watching because even in the 1980s, shooting a pump at doubles was a rare sight.

I always figured he was "short-shucking" it, but maybe it was mechanical.
Old April 25, 2017, 01:26 AM   #5
Kilrain

Quote:
It is an older gun, not fresh out of a box. Handling does get your hands dirty. So I'll start with a good cleaning.
Yeah, they(Model 31s) are all "older" guns considering they stopped making them right around 1950 or so.

Quote:
Need to part shop in general for it. A nice new stock with PG. And a spare follower...
PG stock? As in pistol grip stock? Like this:

Yeah, you won't find one of those, these guns pre-date that style of stock for shotguns. I suppose you could have an existing one modified perhaps. Strange choice, but it's your gun so...

Quote:
That low capacity sucks for a home defense gun. My 1200 can extend the mag tube easily...
Not sure why 4 + 1 bothers you but that was pretty close to standard(5+1 was also common) at the time the Model 31 was built. My shotgun instructor told me that if I couldn't solve the problems with 4 to 5 rounds of 12 gauge buckshot, I was in over my head and the problem was more likely to solve me. The alternative school of thought, I never want to die for lack of shooting back, is also valid.

This is mine, it's an old Kansas City PD patrol gun:

Old April 25, 2017, 03:11 AM   #6
Bluecthomas

If mine looked as clean, I wouldn't want to restock it...
By pg that's exactly what I meant. Sucks I can't just order one, but good gunsmith.

4+1 will certainly stop any 1 or 2 ppl. But I've heard of 7 "person" home invasions before.
And I dislike having a chambered round. Especially without a hammer to release in not a .22.

Pulled it all apart. Cleaned oiled. More than a little dust. But no joy.
Seems to be carrier is failing to full stroke down, not pushing stop far enough out to let it pop free of tube.
Slow pump, pull carrier down manually, it feeds.
Didn't see any physical wear on parts.
Good gunsmith is who I bought it from. I'll discuss it tomorrow when dropping off win 1200 for cerrakote

Shell holder, know anybody selling such a nice one for a left shoulder shooter?
I see generic ones and righties everywhere.

Btw, serial 124xxx, can you date it?
Old April 25, 2017, 03:51 AM   #7
Kilrain

Quote:
If mine looked as clean, I wouldn't want to restock it...
By pg that's exactly what I meant. Sucks I can't just order one, but good gunsmith.
A Mossberg 500/590 pistol grip stock would probably be a better starting point than one for an 870, FYI. The 500/590 is essentially a product improved, Remington 31 after the patents expired. I'd personally search for a replacement wooden stock...they are around.

Quote:
4+1 will certainly stop any 1 or 2 ppl. But I've heard of 7 "person" home invasions before.
And I dislike having a chambered round. Especially without a hammer to release in not a .22.
I hear you and agree to a certain extent. Reality is, if there are 7 people invading your home, armed or unarmed, intent and determined to do you harm, and you are a single armed combatant, odds are still against you regardless of mag capacity. Life is a crap shoot and we got to play the odds. Or, conversely, you could buy something belt fed and crew served and be prepared for bonzai waves. It's your decision, I respect it either way.

Quote:
Pulled it all apart. Cleaned oiled. More than a little dust. But no joy.
Seems to be carrier is failing to full stroke down, not pushing stop far enough out to let it pop free of tube.
Slow pump, pull carrier down manually, it feeds.
Didn't see any physical wear on parts.
Good gunsmith is who I bought it from. I'll discuss it tomorrow when dropping off win 1200 for cerrakote
Carrier would be my guess. There are "pads" on the primary cartridge stop that the carrier "pushes" when it comes down to disengage it. With use, the carrier, which is a stamped and welded piece, can wear significantly not just where it contacts the cartridge stop. It can also wear at the pivot points, inside the reciever, which can cause the entire carreir to shift/pivot to one side, just enough, to not engage the cartridge stop correctly.

Quote:
Shell holder, know anybody selling such a nice one for a left shoulder shooter?
I see generic ones and righties everywhere.
I suggest Ebay. I bought the one on my 31 from a guy off there who was making and selling them although I looked and couldn't find him anymore. Plenty of folks out there who will make one for you if you want, left or right handed.

Quote:
Btw, serial 124xxx, can you date it?
You need the barrel code, not the serial number to date the gun. Google Remington date of manufacture and you should be able to figure it out.
Old April 25, 2017, 09:35 PM   #8
Bluecthomas

Belt fed and crewed. Lmao.
Wish I could get and afford something like that.

Got the mag tube extension for my win 1200, now holds 10.
But 28" barrel, not a great home gun.

The 1911 loaded with a mix of civil defense and r.i.p. not a bad choice. And snail drums legal here, but those seem unreliable.

And while it's only .22, the pps has 50 round drums and a 99% reliability with rem golden bullets. But round nose .22, not much stopping power there.

Whether it's zombies or the long overdue revolution, I'm getting ready.