The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 17, 2020, 01:21 PM   #51
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
But you can reload rimfire ammo these days there 44AMP.
No, I can't.

And, I'm not going to try. First, I'm not going to make any investment in what ever tools and components are needed (even if they are cheap, which I suspect isn't the case), and second, if I ever have a use or need for a reloadable .22 at the WMR (or even the LR) power levels I already have it covered with downloading my .22 Hornet.
Old July 17, 2020, 06:01 PM   #52
jimku

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Different points of view, from different eras, I think. For me, the.22WMR was too expensive to shoot then $60 got you 500rnds. It just cost too much for what I got out of it, and this was from a 6" Ruger Single Six convertible.

I won't dispute the fact that the .22WMR is quite a bit more than the .22LR (even when "neutered" in a short barrel) but it simply wasn't enough more to justify the cost, to me.

I stopped buying .22WMR when it was $6 a box (50) at the same time, quality (not bulk) .22LR was still less than $1 a box (50). Costing 6x as much and nowhere near 6x as effective, I left the .22WMR cylinder in the box, I think its still there, 35+ years later.

the other big factor, for me was that I reload. At the time, I could make .38 Special, and even full power .357 handloads cheaper than I could buy the non-reloadable .22WMR and they were MUCH more effective.

SO, i would advise a light loaded .38 over a .22WMR Its cheaper, its more effective down range, its actually quieter, its reloadable, and the difference in recoil is small.

That being said, if the lady shoots .22LR well, and doesn't WANT to shoot anything bigger, DON'T PUSH it!!!

A person with a .22LR that they are comfortable and confident with (and not afraid of) will do better than they will with a bigger gun they aren't as skilled shooting.
I suppose all things are relative. I have 3 other 22LR handguns and a couple bins with 5,000 rounds of CCI mini mag if I want to shoot 22LR. My little snubby 22WMR revolver is the same size, frame, grip, make and weight as my 357 snubby that I often carry. The 22WMR snubby is a HECK of a lot cheaper to shoot than my 357 even with 38 Special ammo. I don't reload and have no inclination to get into that again. My 22WMR snubby serves for a great relatively inexpensive training / practice tool for my 357 and is a heck of a lot better general (non-bear country) woods gun than my 22LRs. For the lady in question, and the gun being considered which has nice heft, she probably wouldn't even notice the slightly increased recoil ... but for self-defense it would be somewhere around twice as effective as a 22LR. I guess how much you should "push' her depends on how much you value her life.

Last edited by jimku; July 17, 2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old July 18, 2020, 12:32 AM   #53
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I guess how much you should "push' her depends on how much you value her life.
wow...

The easiest way to destroy someone's interest in shooting is to have them shoot too much gun.

I'll leave the rest up to you.

Good Luck.
Old July 18, 2020, 04:44 PM   #54
jimku

[QUOTE=44 AMP;6808847]wow...
The easiest way to destroy someone's interest in shooting is to have them shoot too much gun.
I'll leave the rest up to you.
Good Luck.[
/QUOTE]
How would it be too much gun if the difference in recoil is barely even perceptible?
In this case, regarding the lady in question, it isn't really about her interest in shooting tin cans and targets, it's about her interest in a carry gun and protecting her life.
Just educate her on the terminal differences between 22LR and 22WMR, find a 22WMR for her to try, let her do some serious pondering and make up her own mind. I wouldn't call that "pushing".

Last edited by jimku; July 18, 2020 at 05:05 PM.
Old July 18, 2020, 08:14 PM   #55
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I wouldn't call that "pushing".
Doesn't matter what you call it, what matters is what she calls it, and how she feels about it.

And how she feels and what calibers she will or won't shoot is drifting off topic.
Old July 18, 2020, 08:32 PM   #56
USSR

Aw, you guys are so sensitive to the needs of the opposite sex.

Don
Old July 18, 2020, 10:13 PM   #57
jimku

Quote:
Doesn't matter what you call it, what matters is what she calls it, and how she feels about it.
And how she feels and what calibers she will or won't shoot is drifting off topic.
OK, back on topic.
Since she thinks she wants a 22LR and her brother thinks it would be a good idea to suggest a 22WMR, which 22WMR barrel length should her brother suggest that she get? 2" OR 3"?

Last edited by jimku; July 18, 2020 at 10:23 PM.
Old July 19, 2020, 01:24 AM   #58
silvermane_1

Quote:
No, I can't.

And, I'm not going to try. First, I'm not going to make any investment in what ever tools and components are needed (even if they are cheap, which I suspect isn't the case), and second, if I ever have a use or need for a reloadable .22 at the WMR (or even the LR) power levels I already have it covered with downloading my .22 Hornet.
Less than $75(not including taxes and S&H) for everything to reload 22LR(tools wise):
https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.m...2-reloader-kit
and 22 WMR too:
https://www.brassworldeshop.com/shar...greloader.aspx
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c

Last edited by silvermane_1; July 19, 2020 at 01:31 AM.
Old July 19, 2020, 02:29 AM   #59
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
, which 22WMR barrel length should her brother suggest that she get? 2" OR 3"?
Brother should suggest she handle BOTH if at all possible, shoot examples of both and see which one she thinks feels best.

In some ways, its like trying on clothes, you may want a certain style or size, but if it doesn't FIT, you shouldn't buy it.

What you or I think will fit her, MIGHT fit her. What she thinks fits her, WILL fit her.

Each one of us has a different set of wants, desires and practical needs. I've got no use for a short barrel .22LR or .22WMR. I do have a use for a 2" .38 SPL though I never thought I would, until I got one. I don't see the point in a 3" might as well go to 4", BUT, its possible someday I might change my mind.
Old July 19, 2020, 05:01 AM   #60
jimku

Well, geez, I think the Taurus 942 her brother is looking at is only made in 2" and 4", and since the topic of this thread is only 2" or 3" I guess it's gonna be a 2" because 4" would be off-topic. Right? Right.

Last edited by jimku; July 19, 2020 at 07:01 AM.
Old July 19, 2020, 05:17 AM   #61
artoo

I've seen the 2" barrel Taurus 942 in .22lrf, but Taurus USA has 3" barrel versions advertised. Have not seen those anywhere. Anyone seen them yet?

And yes, What fits the lady and her needs is the way to go. I was going to say more but 44 AMP covered things well.
Old July 19, 2020, 07:12 AM   #62
jimku

Quote:
Originally Posted by artoo View Post
I've seen the 2" barrel Taurus 942 in .22lrf, but Taurus USA has 3" barrel versions advertised. Have not seen those anywhere. Anyone seen them yet?
So it does. My bad. It shows 2" and 3" but no 4". So I guess a 3" is on-topic. And yes, it should be the lady's choice. And it is her brother's choice whether or not he wants to try to overcome her "big sister 22LR stuborness" and educate her about the 22WMR advantage.

I have one of these in 22WMR and it has VERY low recoil, so a much heavier Taurus 942 would be a piece of cake..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p-778-22ms_2.jpg (36.2 KB, 270 views)

Last edited by jimku; July 19, 2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old July 20, 2020, 04:26 PM   #63
Deja vu

My CCW is a 2 inch barrel and I’m happy with it.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old July 21, 2020, 02:09 AM   #64
Grizzly2

On the .22 wmr, make sure she tries one at an indoor range before buying her one. Maybe it's just me, but those things are ear piercing load even with muffs. Because of that, I decided years ago that I wasn't interested.

When I was shopping for a snub for the wife way back when, the shop I loved also catered to the needs of the local PD. I was looking at Det Specials, model 36s and the cheaper Rossi 3". They told me that the police that had trouble qualifying with snubs would use the 3" model 36s. So that is what I bought her and I enjoyed it as much or more then she did. I even used it one time at a bowling pin match and was amazed how well it handled pins rapidly. I also like how the extra inch seems to stabilize better iwb and helps keep the butt in tighter. They are just "comfortable" guns to shoot compared to the 2" version. Now, when I was looking at the new Colt Cobra and Kimber, I was able to compare 2" and 3" in both models. I was very surprised that in my hands, the 2" Cobra balanced and pointed the best for me, in the store.

The issue for the op seems to be which is best for AIWB. I can't help you there since I don't care for that carry method but like you, the few times I tried it with a 3" I wasn't comfortable. I have an older CA 3" Bulldog .44 special that I do often pocket carry. I simply check the new pants, making sure they have deeper pockets. It puts the butt just below the pocket opening which makes for an easy draw with no searching in a deep pocket for the grip on a smaller, shorter 2". The 19 ounces also seems to be the cut-off weight for me when it comes to sagging the pockets like some all steel snubs do at 22-23 ounces.
Old July 22, 2020, 06:47 AM   #65
OhioGuy

Well this thread took some interesting twists.

BTW, I think I've decided to get the K6s DA/SA with the 3" barrel. It will be more fun to shoot more often, and it won't be a primary carry gun -- that will remain my 9mm subcompact mostly, or my S&W 442 when I need something lighter. I may at some point get a K6s snubbie also and replace the 442, but these things are just so expensive!