The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 25, 2006, 03:15 PM   #1
AdamGrier_atc

Going Duck hunting!!!

Hi guys. I am going on my first duck hunting trip in a couple of weeks. I have no experience with it, and i am very excited. I do have a couple of questions. I am planning on taking my Remington 870. First off, what types of loads should I look at, and secondly what type of choke configuraion should I use?

Thanks in Advance,

Adam
Old January 25, 2006, 08:46 PM   #2
12-34hom

Depends on what type of shooting you would be doing.

Over decoys - Improved cylinder - # 2 steel - 3 inch shells.

Jump shooting - modified - 2 steel - 3 inch shells

Pass shooting - full or modified choke - #1 or 2 steel shot. 3 inch shells

I prefer to have more pellets in the air as compared to larger shot size. #2 steel will kill large ducks at modest ranges - out to 45 yards. Large shot sizes are required for large waterfowl = geese.

Good luck & hunting!

12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old January 25, 2006, 08:57 PM   #3
iudoug

Be careful Adam...it is very

addictive!!! I have duck hunted back in the old days when you could use lead Too bad you can't!!! My favorite is the Remington Hevi Shot.....I assume you are hunting over decoys....if so I would use 4 shot with a modified choke...maybe 2 shot with a full choke if you are pass shooting the ducks and your shots are much longer. The hevi shot is expensive but I feel worth the money as I feel it has far better range and stopping power than steel......I have also had better luck with bismuth over steel also....Going in a couple of weeks??? are you going for ducks or geese and where....cuz there is a big difference in what I would tell you....also if by chance you are going to Mexico you can shoot lead there....let me know if you have more questions....good luck and have fun, Doug
Old January 25, 2006, 10:28 PM   #4
Cmu_Sniper

#4 steel, modified choke! Cant go wrong
Old January 26, 2006, 07:16 AM   #5
youp

Duck hunting is loads of fun. Ask your host what their recommendation is for shot size. Take your shotgun and choke tubes and chosen shells to the range and get busy with a patten board. Let your gun dictate to you which choke it likes with the shot sizes.
Old January 26, 2006, 08:01 AM   #6
Gary Conner

Shoot them in the head. The rest of the bird will come down with it!
Old January 26, 2006, 12:56 PM   #7
Wild Bill Bucks

Went ONE TIME.

What I learned was: Choke and Shot size was really un-important since we did not see any ducks close enough to shoot. Take plenty of things to eat as it is a LONG DAY, Be sure to take extra diapers as your butt stays wet ALL DAY. Don't compromise on warm clothing, as it was freezing ALL DAY.

Conclusion: It was not going to be MY favorite form of hunting.

Seriously, guys that like it, LOVE IT, Hope you have more luck than I did.
Old January 26, 2006, 01:58 PM   #8
bgoldhunter

Have to say, I am one of the addicted ones!

Maybe give it one more shot, but stay dry! Being wet is miserable no matter what kind of hunting you are doing.
Old January 26, 2006, 02:45 PM   #9
AdamGrier_atc

Thanks for all the great info. I am getting excited about the trip. I am going to go to the range and get some shot patterns with different shells.

As a first timer, are there any additional items (besides a gun and ammo) that I should take into the field to make my experience more enjoyable?

Thanks for all the advice!!!

Adam
Old January 26, 2006, 04:54 PM   #10
siotwo

We've had the best luck with 3"mag #4 steel .... when using #2 steel, we had several wounded ducks that we had to chase down. We used modified choke. #2 looked better on the pattern board because it has more pellets, but in the field, #4 was the ticket for Mallards to Woodies.

Take some coffee and snacks. Bring pleanty of shells, you will be missing a lot. You can save some shells by not shooting the 3rd round. Chances are by the 3rd shot, they are out of range anyway. I read an article saying something like this also. I usually shot until empty.

Pick A DUCK to aim and shoot at. Don't shoot at the WHOLE GROUP that may be comming at you.

Resiste temptation to rubber-neck at the incomming/ circling ducks, they will see you and since it is late season, they will be hunter-shy. Get a head net and that will give you a little room for error and let you look around w/out spooking them too much.

Have lots of fun!!
Old January 28, 2006, 04:23 PM   #11
shureshot0471

I am a Duck Killer lol do it quite a bit and have been for years the best shell to use is a 3 inch winchester HV #4 this is the best all around duck load then I would use a improved cylnder over decs or not this is the best all around now it you can shoot a 3 1/2 in shell a TTT shot is crazy awsome waders are nice face cover they will bust you up if you are not careful they are very smart and very fast
- Ted Nugent
Old January 29, 2006, 06:03 PM   #12
Hello123

Side note, #2 is larger than 4. Thus, less pellets per cartridge.