The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 29, 2005, 11:38 AM   #51
shureshot0471

So all in all lets say this if you are going to hunt moose then get something bigger that the .270. Because long Path has let me relize something who's to say that all moose are going to be standing at 100 yards broad side go with a bigger gun that would be your safe bet.
- Ted Nugent
Old December 31, 2005, 01:48 AM   #52
Pointer

Shureshot

I think you've got something there...

LongPath

+1

Great post! Bless your heart!
Old January 5, 2006, 10:50 PM   #53
mdbuckle

Here in Newfoundland the most common caliber's for are the .270 and .303. They have taken more then their share of moose. I personally know of many people who also swear by the mighty .243 and 30-30 to bring home the meat. I have witnessed a moose shot at 400 yards with a .243. Took two steps and dropped dead. On inspection, there was a small hole in the heart. Not an ounce of meat ruined at all!

It doesn't matter what you bring in the woods, just learn to shoot the thing! The big calibers ruin too much meat for most people....I personally use a .308 using 150 grain factory hornady ammo. Never had any problems at all. The .270 will be fine!!!
Old January 14, 2006, 02:36 PM   #54
Pointer

Quote:
World Record Bull Moose

Size: 15 Feet Tall at the tines!
Weight: 2300 Pounds !!
Weapon: .338 Winchester Magnum @ 350 Yards
Cost: $20,000 Plus Trophy Shipment and Taxidermy

I would post the photos...
But I don't know how...

Is .270 OK for moose?
Decide for yourself...

EDIT

Capt Charlie said he would post the pictures for me.

Last edited by Pointer; January 17, 2006 at 02:22 AM.
Old January 14, 2006, 07:46 PM   #55
FirstFreedom

For that RANGE at which it was taken, the .338 is the preferred weapon. But under 200 yards (the more typical shot), that moose would be just as dead with a .270. I was just reading yesterday about the second biggest typical whitetail rack buck ever scored (and for many years it was the record holder), taken by a .25-20 win, neck shot.
Old January 14, 2006, 08:44 PM   #56
Pointer

excuses, excuses...

IF you can shoot at only 10 yards... even a .243 could be used as could a spear...

That argument would also apply to the 22-250, or for that matter, the .22LR...

The fact remains... it is not "OK for moose" as this thread has asked.

Yet, there are those who will let their emotions rule their minds...
Old January 15, 2006, 11:31 AM   #57
FirstFreedom

Quote:
That argument would also apply to the 22-250, or for that matter, the .22LR...
No, it wouldn't at all. World of difference. Apples vs. radiators.

Quote:
The fact remains... it is not "OK for moose" as this thread has asked.
I just think you're flat out mistaken:

Quote:
With regards to moose and calibers, well, I would be very, very comfortable stating that the majority of moose taken between NH, VT and probably ME as well during our annual hunts are more than likely taken by: .30-06, .308, .270, .30-30 and .35 Remington.
Quote:
Here in Newfoundland the most common caliber's for are the .270 and .303. They have taken more then their share of moose. I personally know of many people who also swear by the mighty .243 and 30-30 to bring home the meat.
Did you see everything the guys wrote above, that actually live there? A 160 gr .277 bullet like a nosler partition will penetrate BETTER than the same weight, or even a slightly heavier .30 cal bullet. Jack O'Connor sure was convinced that it was fine, and he knew a thing or two about hunting very large game.
Old January 15, 2006, 01:33 PM   #58
Pointer

I do not doubt, for a minute, that the .270 is "OK" for specific shots on moose.

Someone in an earlier post said it was good for this 98% of the time...

Someone else posted a very good set of moose pictures and added a very good set of reasons NOT to use a .270 on moose.

It is important to "agree" on what defines "OK"...

A complement to the people who "live there" and take moose all the time with .270...

A curse on those who wound moose and elk and never find them...
These, last, are not likely to call attention to themselves and post here that they have merely damaged a few moose in their lifetime.

There is no telling how many wounded or "slow kills" were directly caused by not using enough gun...
The ONLY thing that consoles me... is that modern bullet construction has, theoretically, diminished that "imaginary number".

ONLY, as I have said before, the most disciplined and finest marksmen, in the best of conditions, should consider using a .270 on moose.

I stated in another thread that I saw a good shot, in the chest, at 100 yards, on a bull elk... the bull ran over 300 yards and it took a search party of about 50 hunters to locate it! That was shot with a .308 Win using a Nosler Partition bullet... and looking at the hit on the dead animal proved it to be well-placed!

If you wound, or slow-kill, any game animal due to not enough gun...
It is unacceptable.

I simply do not trust the average forum reader to excercise restraint when the conditions aren't right.

If you are reading this post, please take another look at the whole thread...

Last edited by Pointer; January 17, 2006 at 10:03 AM.
Old January 15, 2006, 01:47 PM   #59
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Pointer

I think we'd all like to see the photos of that world record moose. If you'll e-mail them to me, I'll post them for you .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old January 15, 2006, 07:34 PM   #60
Pointer

Capt

I'll try...

But, I'm not sure I know how to do that either...

I'll attempt it right now...

EDIT

I just forwarded it to you.

Thank you

Last edited by Pointer; January 17, 2006 at 10:06 AM.
Old January 15, 2006, 09:33 PM   #61
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Pointer's world record moose pics

Posting these for Pointer

Two more to come.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jaymoose01.jpg (99.6 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg jaymoose02.jpg (112.1 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg jaymoose03.jpg (113.1 KB, 172 views)

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old January 15, 2006, 09:35 PM   #62
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Pointer's Pics part II

Attached Images
File Type: jpg jaymoose04.jpg (112.1 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg jaymoose05.jpg (114.4 KB, 167 views)

--Capt. Charlie
Old January 15, 2006, 09:44 PM   #63
rapier144

Wow!
Old January 15, 2006, 11:47 PM   #64
FirstFreedom

Alright, now I believe!

Pointer's right - .270 is not enough!
Old January 16, 2006, 01:21 AM   #65
yorec

Great pics - now the telling part - measurements?
Old January 16, 2006, 11:16 AM   #66
High Planes Drifter

Now thats one big Bullwinkle!! How in the heck did they get him out?
Old January 16, 2006, 11:33 AM   #67
mdbuckle

There are rumours that there is a moose here in Newfoundland that is close to that size. Problem is...he lives in the park. Many people have witnessed it, but there are no pics to prove it. Wow! What a size of a moose!

A .270 would kill that no problem. I have taken 8 and 9 hundred pound moose with a 30-30 at 150yds with ease. Moose go down pretty easy if you can put a bullet in the vitals.
Old January 16, 2006, 11:37 AM   #68
Fremmer

Wow! Awesome moose. I'm impressed! Please give us some details about the hunt.

Oh, I just realized that these are the pics you were speaking of on the other thread. Well, it is a nice moose just the same!

Last edited by Fremmer; January 16, 2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old January 16, 2006, 11:45 AM   #69
mdbuckle

.270 is pleanty for moose. In fact, the majority of moose here where I come from are killed with old british .303's. Apart from the .303, the .270 is the most popular round for hunting moose in Newfoundland. Moose can go down quite easily if you can put a shot in the vitals. I hunt with a 30-30, and sometimes a .243. I have no troubles dispatching a moose quickly. The smallest caliaber legally alowed to hunt moose is the .243 in Newfoundland. I shoot about 3 or 4 moose a year. I am positive that a .270 will kill a moose with ease. Trust me, I have done it, and hundreds of people do it every year.
Old January 16, 2006, 12:42 PM   #70
FirstFreedom

I take it that is a free range moose, right? Any more details known? Yeah, how many horses/snowmobiles did it take to get it out - one for each quarter (4)?
Old January 16, 2006, 11:30 PM   #71
taylorce1

I've been wanting to put my 0.02 in for a while. I've seen plenty of shows on OLN, Mens Channels, and Outdoor network where they have taken Moose and other large animals with the .270. Granted these people were guided in and they were close range shots with the .270 when they took their Moose.

I've hunted with the .270 and I love this rifle cartridge, in fact I took a very nice cow elk at 250 yds with federal 150gn cartridge with one shot. I think that we see too much of the hunting shows where the hunter shoots the animal in the neck or spine and it dumps the animal on the spot. I think this is done for dramatic effect, but that is my opinion again.

I personally have never hunted moose but I want to, so much so I had a .338-06 built just for the occasion. I'm just waiting to win a draw, so it might be a couple of more years yet. Had I drawn an year ago I would have hunted with my .270 because that is the largest caliber rifle I had at that time. Again the Shiras moose is defiantly not the largest in the species and the .270 would have worked great.

I just have a problem with people suggesting a 7mm, .300, or .338 magnum rifle to young shooters. These are great cartridges, but most young hunters can't handle the recoil to shoot effectively. I applaud those of you who recommended the .30-06 to this young man because it is a rifle he can grow with until he is ready for the magnums.

I just wish that some of these threads wouldn't degrade into p---ing contest over whose is bigger. I also know some of the readers of my post will be saying that I'm a hypocrite for having the .338-06. My reason for that rifle was that I wanted something that not everyone owned, and because I hand load I could build the cartridge to its full potential.
Old January 17, 2006, 01:04 AM   #72
shiningpathb4me

An awful lot of large african game has . . .

been taken with the 7x57 (7mm Mauser). I got a pretty good sized one with a 55# Bear Hunter Kodiak recurve. Bigger may be better if you have your choice of what rifle to carry, but most of us hunt with what we have. One of the best hunters I've ever known owns one rifle. A Winchester 30-30. It's the same rifle he's used for 30 years. I don't think he's ever shot a moose with it, but if he did my bet would be on him, not the moose. Another friend/Co-worker hnts with the same Ruger MkI.300 Savage he's used for 30 years, and he has killed moose with his. Comapred to these old cartridges, the .270 Winchester is a pretty hot.
Old January 17, 2006, 01:34 AM   #73
andersencs

A little light

I would think a .270 would be pretty weak and inadaquate for the job. I shot a 800-pound elk with a .270 and it took a lung shot followed by a neck shot and I did a heck of a lot of bushwhacking to find him. I'd think a 7mm mag or a .300 mag of .300 WSM would be a better choice; especially with all of the cover in your part of the country.

Lady liberty is too fine a lady to be had cheaply.
Old January 17, 2006, 09:54 AM   #74
Pointer

Shiningpath

Quote:
An awful lot of large African game has been taken with the 7x57 (7mm Mauser)
I don't believe this argument "holds water"...

The same African, North American, South American, European and Asian game, has been taken with slings and spears...

Hungry tribesmen would wound an animal and then wait for it to succomb. Ethics played no roll when "starvation was at the door".

Keeping things in perspective... this is not an argument which answers the original question...

Is the .270 "OK" for moose?

The magic word, here, is "OK".

My definition of "OK" is; Will it make good clean kills EVERYTIME the shot is well placed?

In this, ethics should play a very important roll... and kills with the minimum amount of suffering to the quarry should be tantamount in the decision to shoot or not and with what you shoot.

The 30-06 has killed every game animal in the world...
But, that doesn't make it "OK" for elephants.

See the entry #73 by Andersencs just following your post...

Edited I originally stated that andersencs post was a different number... sorry.

Last edited by Pointer; January 17, 2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old January 17, 2006, 12:25 PM   #75
Pointer

See photos merged above by Capt Charlie

OK here 'tis... It's seems very hard to believe... but

Quote:
World Record Bull Moose

Size: 15 Feet Tall at the tines!
Weight: 2300 Pounds !!
Weapon: .338 Winchester Magnum @ 350 Yards
Cost: $20,000 Plus Trophy Shipment and Taxidermy
I'm sorry I don't know how they got him out...
Maybe, with a whole lot of native help??