The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2014, 08:54 AM   #1
Bwell

Removing crimped primers

Removing crimped primer pockets..... PITA!!

I have a Hornady case prep trio, right now I have a chamfer bit, hornady primer reamer bit, and primer pocket cleaner.

I was just using the hornady reamer bit with the pocket cleaner. It seems to do a good job but its taking forever. The chamfer seems to clean it faster but doesnt leave that reamed edge like the reamer bit. Then I started using all three, reamer, chamfer, and pocket cleaner. Using the reamer for the edge, chamfer for the quick clean, and the pocket cleaner to make it nice and clean in there.

Am I ruining the brass by doing this? Is it possible to ream the primber pocket to much?
Old January 24, 2014, 11:24 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

You can ream it until it gets loose and primers fall out rather than staying in place. Working by hand, you can accidentally make it oval.

For speed, I dropped the money on the Dillon primer pocket swager years ago. Way faster, though you do need to run a deburring tool into the cases afterward as flash hole burrs tend to get bent flat in these tools, and can wind up over the flash hole.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 24, 2014, 01:24 PM   #3
snuffy

Quote:
Removing crimped primers. A decapper die punches them out, little to no effort.
Removing crimped primer pockets. Your primer pockets are crimped? The edge has a ridge on it, or a 3 stab crimp. The Hornady tool works just fine for me.
I NEVER clean rifle primer pockets, no advantage to it. You can eliminate that step. IF I do a primer pocket uniforming, it cleans the bottom of the pocket usually. It cuts the corners of the pocket square, and also the floor of the pocket, so the primer fouling is gone too.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?