The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 7, 2020, 11:33 PM   #1
dvdcrr

Remington Custom shop?

Hello, is the Remington Custom Shop still a thing? Can you still order a nice 700 from them? Thanks in advance.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old January 8, 2020, 10:41 AM   #2
thallub

Quote:
Hello, is the Remington Custom Shop still a thing?
Yes:

https://www.remington.com/custom-sho...-series-rifles

Quote:
Can you still order a nice 700 from them?
Yes.
Old January 8, 2020, 10:59 PM   #3
dvdcrr

thanks!
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old January 9, 2020, 11:11 AM   #4
FrankenMauser

I can't remember the name of the place, but last I heard, the Remington "custom shop" was a gunsmithing / custom rifle company in Montana. Remington wasn't doing any 'custom' work in-house. ...Which is probably a good thing.
Old January 9, 2020, 01:15 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Remington's site indicates there are several "custom shops" according to the type of firearm. Contact info is for Sturgis, South Dakota. Which is down the road from Montana, but on the west end of SD.
Old January 11, 2020, 05:57 PM   #6
dvdcrr

I would like to find a nice Remington 25-06 but may have them build one for me.
Old January 12, 2020, 09:25 AM   #7
jmr40

Define "nice".

You can still get a pretty decent factory rifle from Remington but you may have to order it or go to one of the bigger stores. You almost never see one of their top tier rifles on shelves anymore. But they still make them.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...4%22+1%3a10%22

Unless you want custom features there is no need to go custom shop.

Winston Churchill
Old January 13, 2020, 06:59 PM   #8
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdcrr View Post
I would like to find a nice Remington 25-06 but may have them build one for me.
I don't know what your criteria for "nice" is. I am quite confident that for the money spent in the custom shop, you could get a whole lot nicer elsewhere.
Old January 15, 2020, 08:39 AM   #9
dvdcrr

OK, please elaborate
Listed Custom shop features:
Blueprinted 700 action
Match grade barrel.
Bedded to a Bell Carlson stock.
3 lb. Tuned X Marks-the-spot trigger.

Last edited by dvdcrr; January 15, 2020 at 08:46 AM.
Old January 15, 2020, 11:34 AM   #10
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdcrr View Post
OK, please elaborate
Listed Custom shop features:
Blueprinted 700 action
Match grade barrel.
Bedded to a Bell Carlson stock.
3 lb. Tuned X Marks-the-spot trigger.
Ok. Blueprinted action. Thats worth $75. Match grade barrel is a very broad statement. It might be a $75 blank or a $500 blank. 3 lb trigger? About everything made today is adjustable down to 3lbs. The Bell and Carlson stock is nice.
Old January 15, 2020, 01:02 PM   #11
jmr40

By "nice" I was thinking you wanted something with nicer wood, better bluing and possibly some engraving.

For what you want to do you're better off buying a used donor rifle, or simply an action if you can find one, with the proper breech face and sending it to a gunsmith for the work. You'll get better performance, a better barrel and probably less cost.

You can do a lot better than a B&C stock on a "nice" rifle and if you're looking for performance there are a LOT better options than 25-06. The 25-06 is an acceptable deer hunting cartridge and would be a good match in a classy looking walnut stocked hunting rifle. Sounds like you want a precision rifle and there are much better options for that.

Winston Churchill
Old January 15, 2020, 01:51 PM   #12
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
By "nice" I was thinking you wanted something with nicer wood, better bluing and possibly some engraving.

For what you want to do you're better off buying a used donor rifle, or simply an action if you can find one, with the proper breech face and sending it to a gunsmith for the work. You'll get better performance, a better barrel and probably less cost.

You can do a lot better than a B&C stock on a "nice" rifle and if you're looking for performance there are a LOT better options than 25-06. The 25-06 is an acceptable deer hunting cartridge and would be a good match in a classy looking walnut stocked hunting rifle. Sounds like you want a precision rifle and there are much better options for that.
Bell and Carlson is a nice hunting stock.
Old January 15, 2020, 03:57 PM   #13
schotzfyred

But then, you could buy a CZ 557 American

John "Duke" Wayne
Old January 15, 2020, 06:51 PM   #14
hooligan1

Bell and Carlson isnt terrible, like their Customer Service, but theres many better options to be had for a 700.
If I were to build on a 700, Id pick cartridge, action and Gunsmith in that order.
Then barrel maker, trigger, bases rings, scope, then stock.
If synthetic, Manners first, whoever next, because theres three stock makers that run behind the best, and their cheaper.
P. S. Have no idea who Id trust for a 75.00 blueprint, just throwing that out there.... ������
Old January 15, 2020, 09:39 PM   #15
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan1 View Post
Bell and Carlson isnt terrible, like their Customer Service, but theres many better options to be had for a 700.
If I were to build on a 700, Id pick cartridge, action and Gunsmith in that order.
Then barrel maker, trigger, bases rings, scope, then stock.
If synthetic, Manners first, whoever next, because theres three stock makers that run behind the best, and their cheaper.
P. S. Have no idea who Id trust for a 75.00 blueprint, just throwing that out there.... ������
My buddy blueprints for $75. I personally wont do them for that, so he does all mine for me. If I had his setup, I probably would. When he does them, they are right. He keeps one lathe set up just for blueprinting 700.
Old January 28, 2020, 06:36 AM   #16
bill460

If I'm not mistaken Remington purchased the old Dakota Rifle Company in Sturgis, South Dakota. And they now run their "Custom Shop" from under that very roof. Dakota made some beautiful rifles.

If you are looking for a really nice 700, have you looked at the 200th Anniversary Edition 700's? They are beautiful. And there are still some around at good prices. I purchased a Remington 7600 Pump 200th Anniversary Edition in .30-06 last year for just $799.00. It's a beautiful rifle.

Old January 28, 2020, 12:30 PM   #17
kilotanker22

Here is an option for you. A Remington 700 action, 40x trigger and a 5R rifled barrel. They also have options with different stocks and what not.

https://www.eurooptic.com/86498-Remi...-Barreled.aspx
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old January 29, 2020, 04:23 PM   #18
Scorch

Quote:
Define "nice".
Aye, there's the rub! I get customers who say "nice" and mean "cheap". Others who say "nice" and mean "I just have to figure out how to hide the bill from my wife".
Quote:
Ok. Blueprinted action. Thats worth $75
Not even close. I charge $175 for blueprinting, takes about 2 hours to go through an action and true it up. And your friend who keeps a lathe set up for it is doing you a huge favor by charging you so little. Or, of course, he's just in it as a hobby, in which case it doesn't matter what he charges anyway.
Quote:
Bell and Carlson is a nice hunting stock.
Again, we are getting into definitions of "nice". B&C does not make a nice stock, IMO. "Nice" to me involves a wood stock with a century of growth in a windy environment and lots of figure. To others it means polyester resin and an aluminum bedding block. Either way, B&C makes stocks from junk to jewels, so choose wisely.

Hooligan1's list of how to build a custom rifle is pretty good. First decide what you want, then put it together in your mind, then find the best smith to put it together in real life.

But back on topic, if you want a nice rifle, the Remington Custom Shop can make it happen, but it won't be any nicer than another skilled craftsman would turn out. But, it does come with the Custom Shop name on it, so if you were to decide to sell it you can get an extra few $. I used to have a Remington 700 from the Custom Shop, and it was very nice.
Old January 29, 2020, 06:59 PM   #19
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Aye, there's the rub! I get customers who say "nice" and mean "cheap". Others who say "nice" and mean "I just have to figure out how to hide the bill from my wife".

Not even close. I charge $175 for blueprinting, takes about 2 hours to go through an action and true it up. And your friend who keeps a lathe set up for it is doing you a huge favor by charging you so little. Or, of course, he's just in it as a hobby, in which case it doesn't matter what he charges anyway.

Again, we are getting into definitions of "nice". B&C does not make a nice stock, IMO. "Nice" to me involves a wood stock with a century of growth in a windy environment and lots of figure. To others it means polyester resin and an aluminum bedding block. Either way, B&C makes stocks from junk to jewels, so choose wisely.

Hooligan1's list of how to build a custom rifle is pretty good. First decide what you want, then put it together in your mind, then find the best smith to put it together in real life.

But back on topic, if you want a nice rifle, the Remington Custom Shop can make it happen, but it won't be any nicer than another skilled craftsman would turn out. But, it does come with the Custom Shop name on it, so if you were to decide to sell it you can get an extra few $. I used to have a Remington 700 from the Custom Shop, and it was very nice.
What are you doing to a Remington action that takes 2 hours? Align the threads to the centerline, square the face oo the action to the centerline, lap lugs, square bolt face. Takes me about hour and a half and he is way faster than I am because he stays set up and he has done hundreds as opposed to my 7 or 8.
Old January 29, 2020, 08:03 PM   #20
Scorch

Quote:
takes about 2 hours to go through an action and true it up
Quote:
Takes me about hour and a half
Close enough. Actually, the most stressful part is putting the extractor back in and making sure it works.