The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 2, 2017, 10:43 AM   #1
stuckinthe60s

who shoots clays with shotguns?

I see a lot of sd/riot/tactical going on here. just wondering who still shoots clays in formal and non-formal ways?
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old February 2, 2017, 11:19 AM   #2
dmoserwy

I shot ATA trap for a few years. A shoulder injury put me out and now money keeps me out. If I could justify the expense I would shoot again. To me it was relaxing and very fun.
Old February 2, 2017, 11:53 AM   #3
Kvon2

I go out and shoot either skeet or trap as often as I can get enough of my friends to go. Unfortunately that's only a handful of times per year.
Old February 2, 2017, 12:14 PM   #4
FITASC

You can click on the link in my sig line. That will explain the rules of the game I like to shoot the most - FITASC (as we call it here in the US). Just shot two registered tournaments yesterday; was shooting practice at the local club Tuesday and today. I don't use a shotgun for "tactical" purposes.....

I'll run ~15,000 rounds a year on clays
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 2, 2017, 12:27 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

"Tactical" shotguns seem to be purchased almost exclusively by people that plink, like punishing unsuspecting girlfriends with excessive recoil, and like to play GI Joe on the weekends. ...But only actually take the shotgun out of the closet (what's a safe?) once a year, if that.

My shotguns are used for grouse, ground squirrels, and clays (informal); and, theoretically, rabbits and hares (though I never hunt said bunnies with the scatter guns).

...And the occasional muddy ditch bank.
Nothing says 'thank you for coming' like showering your friends, relatives, and guests with stinky, slimy mud, courtesy of a 90 year-old 12 ga.
Old February 2, 2017, 01:22 PM   #6
bamaranger

well.........

Who doesn't? They are just too danged hard to hit with a rifle it their still moving!!!
Old February 2, 2017, 01:32 PM   #7
BigJimP

Yes, I primarily shoot Skeet and Sporting clays....and in all 4 gagues.....12ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410.....( mostly with Browning Citori over unders with 30" barrels )....

I'm not into Defensive or Tactical shotguns .....I rely on my handguns for Tactical issues...
Old February 2, 2017, 02:49 PM   #8
Blindstitch

I shoot clays right before pheasant season starts. Then I move on to flying birds.
Old February 2, 2017, 04:26 PM   #9
pete2

I shoot regularly, Skeet, Trap, a little 5 Stand and we now have Sporting Clays at our club. Shot 100 birds at sporting and 50 at 5 stand yesterday. I should say shot AT. It's a lot of fun but can get expensive.
Old February 2, 2017, 04:35 PM   #10
Jimbo-Indy

Shoot trap on a regulation field as frequently as possible. Currently in a winter trap league at my local club. We shoot no matter the weather. Last Sunday it was snowing, a couple of weeks ago it was 20°. Sort of like golf, "play it where it lies". I find it relaxing to shoot and spend time with friends. Club membership has all types of people: doctors, lawyers, engineers to guys that do car repair, roofing, machinists and of course retired people. Friendliest group you could hope to meet. Gun rack has everything for Kolars & Parrazis to Stogers, Mossburgs and Remington 870s.
Old February 3, 2017, 04:48 AM   #11
dreaming

I try to shoot formal (but unregistered) skeet at least one day a week and used to shoot 16 yard American trap with a 12 gauge Browning XS Skeet, but for a while I shot American trap with a Remington 870 and on occasion have took it to the skeet field. It works for singles but not so well for doubles.

Most of the time the 870 sports a security barrel and no other tactical frills, but I mount the 28 inch vent rib barrel when my boy uses it for trap. Like BigJimP, my primary defense weapon is a handgun.

Last edited by dreaming; February 3, 2017 at 04:56 AM.
Old February 3, 2017, 10:21 AM   #12
MarkCO

With my small fleet of shotguns...

I shoot Sporting Clays, 5-Stand, a little trap, 3Gun and Tactical Shotgun matches. I also hunt with them, birds and some for predators.
Old February 3, 2017, 10:53 AM   #13
krimmie

Besides ducks and geese, sporting, 5-stand, and skeet.
Old February 3, 2017, 11:28 AM   #14
Ricklin

Agree

Seems the focus of the posters here is on SD black shotguns.
I love to shoot trap, SD shotguns just don't trip my trigger.

The downside to shooting clays??......it's expensive.
Old February 3, 2017, 11:42 AM   #15
FITASC

Cheaper than owning a boat, motor home or airplane though!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 3, 2017, 12:07 PM   #16
bobn

all the talk about hd with shotguns is or will be your worst nightmare. pray to GOD it never happens.
...that said, I am a beginning shotgunner. at 62. lol. too broken and not fast or limber enough to shoot a lot of other shooting disciples. learning trap, 5 stand. tried skeet, not sure. I love sporting clays. bob
Old February 3, 2017, 12:48 PM   #17
FITASC

https://support.remington.com/Genera...ntals_Handbook

https://support.remington.com/Genera...ntals_Handbook

Those two oldie-but-goodies will help with the basics of trap and skeet.
Old February 3, 2017, 06:10 PM   #18
Rifletom

I do. A bit of trap now and again. Especially just before upland bird season.
No tactical SG's here, just field use guns. Handgun for HD.
Old February 3, 2017, 07:08 PM   #19
GarandTd

I shoot very informal clays sometimes thrown by friends, family, or mechanically, and once in a while, myself. I use a Maverick 88 20 gauge pump or an NEF 20 gauge single shot. $25 for 100 shells and almost as many clays makes for an inexpensive good time that is also great practice.
Old February 4, 2017, 09:33 AM   #20
g.willikers

Since you asked,
I used to do both trap and skeet at the local club level.
When our action pistol matches began including steel challenge type side matches for shotgun, along with action shotgun stages, that was for me.
Never did go back to the traditional games very often.
But they are all enjoyable and useful shotgun skill builders.
Old February 4, 2017, 10:53 AM   #21
jaguarxk120

I have a public range 10 minutes away, a season pass is $30.
Generally I will load up the car and shoot at least once a week.

I have a electric trap and a clay-delay release for it, makes life sooo much easier.

On a average 2 to 4 guns will come out with me, sometimes a friend will come along and we shoot together.
Old February 5, 2017, 05:14 PM   #22
stuckinthe60s

maybe I should start an official skeet/trap/s.clays thread for the clay shooters to post in!
maybe itll fly?!
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old February 5, 2017, 05:53 PM   #23
FITASC

As long as you include ZZs too!
Old February 5, 2017, 07:56 PM   #24
Kreyzhorse

Some trap but I try to shoot sporting clays every weekend.
Old February 6, 2017, 01:04 PM   #25
The Rattler

I Shoot Clays

My goal is to shoot trap once a week, but weather and other reasons prevent doing it every week. Occasionally, I shoot skeet for diversity. I am not that good, but I enjoy both and am trying to improve. I use this Forum to learn more about traditional shotguns and their uses, including the clay sports.

I am not interested in tactical personal defense shotgun subjects, but of course, I recognize those are legitimate subjects for those interested in them. I simply do not read or open posts about those subjects. Should any forum become overwhelmingly dominated by personal defense subjects, I will simply not frequent them very often.

Last edited by The Rattler; February 7, 2017 at 04:33 PM.