The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 2, 2000, 03:51 PM   #1
Bob S

I'm in the process of looking for a short hammerless sxs 12 gauge. I've looked at the Stoeger Coach Gun, the Russian Bakail Bounty Hunter II, and a Turkish gun (Tri Arms??). I have also considered trying to find a used Stevens sxs and having it cut down to 18 - 20 inches. So far, the Stoeger seems preatty appealing, but I'd really like to hear all of your thoughts on this issue. Also, are there any downsides to having an old gun cut down, and is it a difficult process? I want to be sure the gun looks good and shoots good after the chop job! Thanks for your help.
Old March 2, 2000, 04:09 PM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Bob,

The downside of having a shotgun chopped is that the chokes go with it,and you're left with a cylinder bore. Some folks think that it doesn't hurt,but I prefer a little tighter choke for knockdowns and those targets that are set a little far away. I shoot a Stoeger Coachgun,and it's a good shotgun. These guns,like a lot of CAS guns,benefit from some judicious gunsmithing to make the guns easier to open and to make the shells easier to flip out of the chambers. The Stoeger is a good choice for CAS.

Bellicose Bill
Old March 2, 2000, 05:08 PM   #3
Gunslinger

I think Ned had the right idea here. His post placed one of these close to the top of my wish list and I wasn't looking for a scattergun when I clicked on the thread. http://www.thefiringline.com/NonCGI/...ML/000191.html

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.
Old March 2, 2000, 06:14 PM   #4
Hal

I have a Stoeger SxS in 12 ga. I was a bit worried about how it would hold up in the long run, and asked in here about it. I was assured through a few replies, and a few off-line e-mails that the Stoegers do indeed hold up very well. Anyone that wishes to try one out, and is close to Northeast, Ohio, is more than welcome to give mine a try. Mine is the 20 in barrel, and patterns as tight as my Rem 870 w/ modified choke at 50 feet. I tried some 00 buck throught it right before New Years and was disappointed with the results. Lotsa recoil, and dismal patterns, so I went back to the field loads. Good gun as far as I can tell, and a lot of fun to shoot. If I don't get too many sideways looks, I may give it a try in a round of Sporting Clays this summer.
Old March 3, 2000, 03:53 PM   #5
Joe West

My opinion, based on what comes in for repairs, is avoid the Bakail and Tri-Star. The Stoeger or an old Savage/Stevens 311 is your best bet. If you cut all the choke out, you can experiment with clay buster TM wads for the times you need tighter patterns. Open chokes work fine on the targets at my club but some clubs have tougher targets.
Joe West