The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 9, 2023, 04:12 PM   #26
taylorce1

Quote:
Additionally, your FFL dealer could choose not to charge you their fee. There is no law stating they must charge a fee. There are state laws limiting the amount of the fee, in some states, but not in every state.
Colorado charges a $10 fee for a second background check that they run through the same NICS system. There is no way a dealer is going to eat that fee. Nor do I expect them to process paperwork on a rifle I didn't originally buy from them for free.

I agree they are doing the right thing by replacing the rifle. I have the money, for the transfer. I guess I wasn't that impressed with the rifle to begin with, and that's my main complaint with having to pay again.
Old June 9, 2023, 05:38 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

Apologies, I did not realize CO charges a fee. They don't use the Fed system, do they? If they use their own system, then the state can charge whatever they feel they can get away with.
Old June 9, 2023, 07:03 PM   #28
taylorce1

ASFAIK, the State doesn't use a different system than the Federal NICS. They just decided to charge us a fee to run our background again. I'm not 100% up on it anymore,.