The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 11, 2016, 10:18 AM   #26
Glenn Dee

hearing

The post on auditory exclusion is in my experience absoloutly true. Your body does protect itself in dangerous situations.... providing the person percieve the actual threat.

The noise still happens and the damage can still be done. Speaking strictly from my own personal experience.... having experienced shots fired indoors under normal conditions resulted in ringing ears, and probably some temporary hearing loss... during a period of whats called auditory exclusion I experienced no ringing or noticable hearing loss.
Old September 11, 2016, 08:47 PM   #27
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Someone already mentioned it but if God forbid if you had to defend yourself, home, family your hearing is the last thing you will be concerned about.
I doubt you'll be worried about it while you're actually shooting, but if it goes on for more than just a few shots, the ability to hear after the first few shots might be very important. Said another way, the inability to hear after the first few shots could be a cause for severe concern depending on what's going on.

After touching off a single round of .357Mag indoors without hearing protection I was nearly completely deaf for quite an extended period, maybe a minute or longer. And then after that I was badly impaired for perhaps half an hour.
Quote:
...during a period of whats called auditory exclusion I experienced no ringing or noticable hearing loss.
All I can say to that is that it doesn't work for everyone. I never heard the shot, in my case, but that certainly didn't protect my hearing in the least.
Old September 11, 2016, 09:37 PM   #28
James K
Member In Memoriam

The period of impaired hearing after shots are fired by or at you varies, but it is serious. One seldom mentioned problem is what you don't hear, like "Police! Drop your gun." If you don't hear that, you could have some really serious problems.

Jim
Old September 12, 2016, 12:01 PM   #29
T. O'Heir

"...and concussed..." You won't get a concussion. As mentioned, the last thing you'll be worrying about is the noise.
Probably the only way you can get an idea of what you hear is by volunteering for the 'Butts Party" of a High Power match. You won't get the muzzle blast, but you'll hear the sonic boom(a sharp crack) of the bullet passing overhead. And if a bullet bounces back to where you're standing, don't touch it. Friggin' things get really hot.
"...a single round of .357Mag indoors without hearing protection..." Means your hearing is permanently damaged already.
Old September 14, 2016, 01:06 AM   #30
44 AMP
Staff

Take a look at all the cop shows where guns are fired very often indoors, NONE of the people has hearing protection. After the shooting ends, they all talk in normal voices, and hear just fine.

IT's HOLLYWOOD BS!

DO not ever forget that!

Auditory exclusion only means your brain does not recognize (excludes) it AT THE TIME. The damage still happens, and afterwards, after the crisis is over, THEN your brain will recognize the damage, and you will realize it, then.
Old September 14, 2016, 06:52 AM   #31
Mobuck

"how do you prepare for the extreme noise difference of multiple rounds being fired, without being overwhelmed and concussed?"

"overwhelmed and concussed"?????????????????????

While I fully agree that hearing protection is important, I also feel that far too many shooters have this sort of idea of the effects of NOT using ear protection.
YOU WILL NOT FALL TO THE FLOOR UNCONSCIOUS AND CONVULSING IF YOU FIRE A GUN W/O HEARING PROTECTION(most likely you won't even notice the sound or even think about it until later when your ears are ringing)

I have approx 60% hearing loss(not all of it from gunfire BTW) and I do make an effort to preserve what I have left but I certainly know I'm not going to worry about firing my gun in self defense(or hunting or the occasional target of opportunity) w/o the plugs.
Old September 14, 2016, 12:42 PM   #32
849ACSO

Look up AUDITORY EXCLUSION. It will explain what you asked.
Old September 14, 2016, 12:52 PM   #33
Slopemeno

I fired a a .45 auto in a concrete indoor range without my hearing protection on, and while painful- it wasn't debilitating. Afterward everyone's voice sounded like "Waaa wa wa? Wah wa!" for 12 hours or so. It was a stupid thing to do, as I'm starting to really notice my hearing loss these days.

Let's keep in mind auditory exclusion- which I've experienced when hunting- doesn't protect you from the hearing damage. I recall shooting at a pheasant with my Lefever Nitro Special and I didn't hear the report at all- but I can still remember letting the bird get a little further away from me and using the rear trigger, and the feel of the trigger as I fired.
Old September 14, 2016, 04:46 PM   #34
agtman

Quote:
I fired a a .45 auto in a concrete indoor range without my hearing protection on, and while painful- it wasn't debilitating. Afterward everyone's voice sounded like "Waaa wa wa? Wah wa!" for 12 hours or so. It was a stupid thing to do, as I'm starting to really notice my hearing loss these days. * * *
The blast of the relatively mild and low-pressure .45 acp isn't in the same galaxy as the decibel level of an unsuppressed rifle cartridge fired indoors, such as the 5.56mm/.223.

If you think the .45's report had a lingering affect on your hearing, it would've been infinitely worse had you fired an unsurpressed AR in the same concrete indoor range, especially something short-barrelled, like a 10" SBR.
Old September 14, 2016, 06:14 PM   #35
K_Mac

Quote:
The blast of the relatively mild and low-pressure .45 acp isn't in the same galaxy as the decibel level of an unsuppressed rifle cartridge fired indoors, such as the 5.56mm/.223.
I've never fired an AR indoors, but even fired under an open, covered structure, a 5.56/223 will hurt without plugs and muffs. That is a 16" barrel. An unsuppressed short barrel would be no fun.

Tags
live fire , noise