The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 24, 2016, 08:19 PM   #1
Tinbucket

New Over Unders

I've read some advertisements on the net for over unders, of just plain sttel barrels and some chromed bores and even chromed exterior, that is black chrome.
Some advertise oiled Turkish Walnut stocks and loo nice and white metal but not nickel or chrome receivers.
The prices are generally in the 500 -600 range which suits me me fine for right now, if they are good quality.
Been a very long time since I shot skeet.
Joining a shooting club that has skeet, trap, pistol and rifle ranges.
Any reports on the search for the affordable over/under?
Old August 24, 2016, 08:48 PM   #2
FITASC

You are missing a digit, maybe a 1 or 2 in front of your amount if you want a decent one that will actually last and shoot where it is supposed to.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 24, 2016, 09:33 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

I bought a Tri Star 28 gauge O/U last Fall. I'm not a big scatter gunner. Not someone who goes through thousands of rounds per year. So I thought the $500 price tag was quite good for just another whim. I have never had an O/U, nor a 28. It's turned out to be a lot of fun, and I have been doing surprisingly good at busting a few clays with it. Might even challenge myself in a few weeks trying to drop a few doves with these tiny shells.
The gun seems quite solid, and well built. Just not a beautifully finished work of art to show off. Not that the finish is bad, it's not. Actually to me it looks quite nice. Just as I would expect in a $500 gun.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 24, 2016, 11:10 PM   #4
Boogershooter

Best advice I can give on this subject is to borrow one for a Lil while and see how much you enjoy shooting the course. If it's something you enjoy and plan to do often go ahead and spend the coins for a good one. The $500 to $800 range isn't going to last. 5000 rounds will beat these guns up pretty bad and the resale value on these even when new are horrible. If you buy quality the value will not go down. I have a old browning from my serious shooting days that has atleast 300,000 rounds thru it and it still ejects every round and tighter than any of the cheap guns. Yes cheap guns are getting a little better these days but they are still a far cry from a good one.
Old August 25, 2016, 12:31 AM   #5
BigJimP

There are just too many issues with a lot of these over unders .....too many of them don't regulate the barrels properly to hit to same point of impact ( some I've seen vary by 8" or more between barrels....and that won't work....

Some have trigger issues - doubling, spring problems, etc. / barrel to receiver connection can be weak or with poor steel..... i've seen for ends and stocks Crack from bad fitting / I even saw a rib come completely off a new ruger...after half a box of ammo....

You will always find a few guys that have good luck with 2 or 3 out of 10 for a few thousand shells....but you can't tell by looking at them which guns are good or bad.....when the reality is Browning and Beretta both give you a lot of gun for the money....

Every skeet range i've ever visited.....has lots of decent used guns for sale....and 99% of skeet shooters have good guns in their safe ( old citori models, etc ) that they will sell if someone is looking for an affordable gun...

There are also a lot of affordable semi-auto's out there as well that are good skeet or sporting clay guns on a budget....don't overlook them...
Old August 25, 2016, 01:44 AM   #6
TxGun

Rarely is the old saw, "you get what you pay for" more appropriate than when considering an O/U or Double shotgun.

Last edited by TxGun; August 25, 2016 at 01:57 AM.
Old August 25, 2016, 01:27 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...affordable..." Means different things to different people. Don't think you get high end kit for $500 to $600 though. You get entry level. Mind you, entry level with a changeable choke will do.
Don't discount buying used either. $400 will buy you a Mossberg M500 with Accu-Chokes on Gunbroker. $600, a Mossberg International Silver Reserve II Field with changeable chokes.
The Pardus O/U stuff at $570ish USD, might be ok, but there also may be a parts issue should you ever need any. Limited choke options too.
"...nickel or chrome receivers..." Are decorative.
Old August 25, 2016, 01:38 PM   #8
Blindstitch

You could look around for a Charles Daly. I know I've seen some for as low as $500 in good condition.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/93215435...Grade-Trap.htm
Old August 25, 2016, 01:55 PM   #9
FITASC

Quote:
Don't think you get high end kit for $500 to $600 though. You get entry level.
I won't even say you get entry level - you get disposable, throw-away-when-it-breaks level......................

Used decent O/Us will be around double the 5-600 level, and in that range are older, well-made guns from Browning, Beretta and SKB - the three brands most considered as entry level for a decent O/U.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 25, 2016, 08:39 PM   #10
upstate81

Ill second the charles daley guns. I had an older one made in miroku and is of great quality. We all know the quality that comes out of the miroku plant such as Winchester and brownings.
Old August 25, 2016, 08:41 PM   #11
pete2

Gonna spend 5 or 600, try to find a good used 1100 gun.
Old August 26, 2016, 04:34 PM   #12
bn12gg

Older fixed choke Browning Citoris can be purchased $800ish. Great guns that last forever. -- built tough like you are shooting a 2 x 4. Base models with Invector tubes well over a grand so probably out of OP's range. Citori is a fine shotgun -- quality !

.02. David.
Old August 26, 2016, 08:50 PM   #13
Ridgerunner665

I like my Winchester 101... The new FN built version.

It's been out a while now, reviews are all good on it.... Mine has already fired a little over 1,000 rounds.

May be a little light compared to a Citori, but with proper ammo recoil is not a problem.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old August 27, 2016, 03:14 PM   #14
Ricklin

I shot one recently

Not impressed. The new Win 101 is the best choice in an inexpensive, new O/U however that 101 is about double the money vs. the turkish guns.

For a field gun if you luck out and get one that is properly regulated you are good to go. The Turk guns will not hold up to high volume shooting. Good for a few hundred rounds per year clay shooters can easily burn through 500 rounds in a weekend. Hunters do not.

The turk guns are a very poor choice for breaking clays on a regular basis. The older Charles Daly guns are great. The newer ones are not. If CD gun is marked KBI Harrisburg PA run don't walk away.
The only CD O/U of recent manufacture that is any good is the NRA diamond guns. I owned one and put many thousands of rounds through it with no issues. Good gun, however they were made in Italy, not Turkey.

Buy once, buy quality. You will thank me when resale time comes around. Clay shooters tend to change guns often. Check the local clay clubs ask around.
JMHO
Old August 27, 2016, 03:56 PM   #15
75218ron

Lanber
Old August 27, 2016, 09:53 PM   #16
Ridgerunner665

My 101 is regulated pretty good for skeet or hunting.

It's not exactly flat... But not very high either.... Both barrels hit 4" high at 40 yards, windage is on the spot.

I've been around 3 others that are the same.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old August 28, 2016, 07:34 AM   #17
Ricklin

To be clear what I shot recently was a CZ, made in Turkey. I would be happy to add a new Win 101 to my safe.

Not an old 101, however.....had one of those.