The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old November 28, 2014, 02:58 PM   #1
johnelmore

What if the 1980s Hulk Hogan came after you?

There is a popular story in the media about an officer involved shooting of a 6 foot 4 male weighing at 295 lbs. I looked up Hulk Hogans height and weight in the 1980s which was 295 6 foot 7. If you are not familiar there are plenty of Youtube videos to watch on Hogan. Hogan would pick up men weighing over 200 and throw them several feet. He had 24 inch biceps.

So Im wondering if Hogan from the 80s were to come at you forcefully what would you do? Do you think drawing a pistol would be most appropriate? Would you try to talk Hogan down or try hand to hand? Would you try to squirt him in the eye with the pepper? Maybr try to get Hogan into a choke hold? Do you think myself, an average built man, could subdue Hulk Hogan with a command voice and some holding techniques I learned at the local martial arts house?

In that regard, I do wonder how the courts have addressed this type of situation...
Old November 28, 2014, 03:36 PM   #2
Evan Thomas

The general issue of disparity of force in self-defense cases has been well discussed here. I don't think we need to revisit it in this context.

Here are the results of a Google search on:
disparity of force site:http://thefiringline.com/forums
Old November 28, 2014, 03:54 PM   #3
Frank Ettin
Staff

Vanya,

Thank you for the link. As you point out, this is a well discussed, and should be a well understood, topic.

I'll add to our "source book" on the issue the following links:

"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread