The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 28, 2012, 09:11 AM   #1
BoogieMan

RIO shells coming apart

Shot a 3-gun last week with my BPS using RIO #8 bird shot. I have used these in the past for sporting clay etc.. Oddest thing happened. on 3 ocasions I shot the plastic shell out of the barrel. I literaly ejected a brass cup with no plastic. Has anyone ever experienced this with any shell?
Out of 15 or so guys no one else had ever seen this happen.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old June 28, 2012, 09:58 AM   #2
oneounceload

Never with RIOs or their cousin Kemen. BE CAREFUL. If you don't clear that obstruction before the next shot, you can have a major KABOOM
Old June 28, 2012, 11:12 AM   #3
zippy13

My friend, 1-oz, is spot on about the major KABOOM. Sounds like RIO had a quality control melt down. Three occasions is three too many and represents a significant hazard. Have you contacted RIO and given them the ammo's lot number? This is the kind of thing that can result in a safety recall. Do you know, was this fresh ammo?
Old June 28, 2012, 12:20 PM   #4
BoogieMan

I will contact RIO. I bough the case a while back but just opened it. Never crossed my mind. I was lucky they flew out of the barrel all together.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old June 28, 2012, 12:29 PM   #5
BoogieMan

Just talked to RIO. Sending them back and they will send me out a fresh case.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old June 28, 2012, 12:45 PM   #6
zippy13

Quote:
I was lucky they flew out of the barrel all together.
Amen!
Old June 28, 2012, 03:06 PM   #7
BigJimP

Yes, I have had the same issue with Remington STS shells ...in 28ga only !

Its a pretty well known issue among a lot of skeet shooters...at least up and down the west coast.../ and its happened to me on new factory shells once in a while ....and its a big time issue on reloaded Rem STS hulls in 28ga.

I did write a letter to Remington...did some testing, etc..../ I provided lot numbers, photos, etc ... to Remington and many of the shotgun magazines ( to reloading columns, etc ) ...most of the responses I got were from guys calling me out for picking on Remington / when all I was doing is trying to find out how big an issue this was ...and get some dialogue going to make sure noone got hurt..../ Remingtons respone to me, was a nice brief letter in response...thanks, they knew of the problem - were taking some steps to correct it ( I hope its true )...and they sent me 25 once fired hulls ..to add to my collection for reloading... ...

You were lucky - you did not have an issue / its another reason to primarily shoot O/U's....and check the barrels after each shot...
Old June 28, 2012, 04:42 PM   #8
TheKlawMan

25 once fired shells for BigJim. Might generous of Remington. The problem sounds as if the hulls turn into cut shell slugs.
Old June 28, 2012, 06:15 PM   #9
zippy13

Quote:
The problem sounds as if the hulls turn into cut shell slugs.
They might be dynamite on pumpkins or paper, but not so good on clays. With cut shell slugs, you're aware of the potential for an obstructed barrel; however, with new shells, it's not something you typically anticipate.