The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 29, 2008, 09:14 AM   #1
summerman

value or age of Marlin 30-30 lever action.

I have a 30-30 marlin lever action which was given to me. It says "Marlin Safety on the top." Serial number 07xxx, serial number is under lever. Open sights, the steel looks like its case hardened. Anyone know value or age? Thanks. I've never shot it but it looks, feels, and sounds like a fine swiss watch when the action is run.

Since original post I found a site thanks to a fellow member that says the gun is 1884. That makes it almost 125 years old. Any one know where to qet a rough value on this? Thanks again.

Last edited by summerman; November 29, 2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: new info
Old November 30, 2008, 08:37 PM   #2
PetahW

Your DOM estimate is in error, as the earliest Marlin leverguns made in .30-30 were the Model 1893's - made from 1893 to 1936.

There were several models made, including Rifles, Carbines, Muskets, Lightweights & Takedowns - and condition has everything to do with value.

You should first determine which model you have (including barrel length, etc), get a profession estimate of it's original condition ( which would typically range from say, 10% to say, 95%), and then surf closed online auctions for like "sold" rifles, which should give you an indication of the value of yours.

Old November 30, 2008, 10:42 PM   #3
jmr40

I replied to your origional post in the rifle section. The codes used on the www.armscollectors.com website do show a serial number starting with 07 as being made in 1884. As others have said this is not possible in a 30-30. Without more information it is hard to say for sure, but your rifle may have been made in 1993.

The armscollectors website does not show anything after 1990 but Marlin has used a simple code to date "Most" rifles made since 1969. Simply subtract the first 2 numbers of the SN from 100 to get the date of manufacture. In your case 100-07=93. For guns made after 2000 the same code applies. For example a gun starting with 98 would have been made in 02.

This code does not apply to all guns because some limited runs had a different SN code. I have one of the 500 stainless guide guns in 35 Rem that was made in 2005 that has the SN of 336SS3XX. Marlin made a few modern guns that were reproductions of the old guns that had a finish that looked like case hardening a few years ago. You may have one of these.

More information, or a picture could help.