The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 19, 2017, 02:17 PM   #1
FalconMacAllister

Help ~ Installing UTG bipod / Ruger 556

Hello. First off, I'm blind, so I can't see diagrams, and this makes installations or assembling things difficult if I can't figure it out on my own. I have a Ruger 556, and a UTG collapsible, folding bipod. The bipod comes with an adapter, to mount the bipod on a swivel stud. Under my gas block/front sight, there is a socket for a sling attachment. Could someone tell me what part, or parts, I need to attach my bipod to this socket? I currently have the bipod attached to a small rail section at the front of my handguard, but I need it to be further out, because my arm needs to extend a bit more for a comfortable hold, and it seems like the pivot point of a bipod should be further out on a rifle.
Old May 19, 2017, 08:45 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Folks, legally blind isn't totally blind. I have a friend who's legally blind. He can read large print up very close. He can play golf--sorta--but his friends concede the puts.
Old May 19, 2017, 08:51 PM   #3
Mobuck

My younger Son is a legally blind hunter/shooter. I'd be happy to help but have neither a UTG bipod or Ruger 556.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:17 PM   #4
Koda94

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconMacAllister
I have a Ruger 556, and a UTG collapsible, folding bipod. The bipod comes with an adapter, to mount the bipod on a swivel stud. Under my gas block/front sight, there is a socket for a sling attachment. Could someone tell me what part, or parts, I need to attach my bipod to this socket?
I'll go out on a limb and offer my opinion on this, being as I dont own either items the OP is trying to assemble, but....

I think you are out of luck. My guess is that the socket on the Ruger is for a Quick Detach sling mount, not a swivel sling mount. The UTG adapter is to adapt a swivel sling mount to the adapter so the bipod can attach to the adapter with its picatanny mount.

some links for reference:
http://www.ruger.com/products/ar556/models.html
http://leapers.com/index.php?act=pro...temno=TL-BP88Q

photo of the UTG adapter... http://leapers.com/images/600X381/TL_BP_STL1.gif

you might be able to find a bolt on picatanny rail that mounts on the Ruger handguard and extends out to the gas block, mount the UTG bipod...
Old May 20, 2017, 12:35 PM   #5
FalconMacAllister

Sounds good. I guess that I was hoping there would be a swivel stud that plugged into a QD socket. I will try to find a rail section to extend forward, like you mentioned. That might be just what I need. Thanks much.
Old May 20, 2017, 12:38 PM   #6
FalconMacAllister

Thanks Mobuck.
Old May 21, 2017, 09:51 PM   #7
MagnumWill

Yeah, I wasn't that lucky as well. I had to mount a picatinny rail - with a sling swivel mount - to the bipod itself on my AR.
Old May 27, 2017, 08:12 AM   #8
flashhole

Take a look at this thread and see if it helps.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger...g-my-mini.html

Are you ready for civil war?
Old May 28, 2017, 07:18 PM   #9
pblanc

I have a Ruger AR 556 with a folding UTG bipod attached. I looked around for some type of adapter that would attach to the quick release sling socket of the carbine and make it a swivel mount that could work with the UTG adapter. I did not find anything.

I have a Magpul M-LOK MOE fore-end on my carbine with a Magpul angled foregrip attached. I bought a short aluminum Picatinny rail segment and mounted it just in front of the angled foregrip to attach the bipod to, and this works pretty well for me.

Tags
ar15 bipod , installation , ruger , utg