The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 30, 1998, 12:20 AM   #1
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

I have some experience loading for handguns but none for rifles. That will change soon. I am considering buying a progressive loader and would like to hear some pros and cons as well as tips on specific models. I will be reloading in 9mm, 10mm, .357 Mag, .44 Rem Mag, .223 Rem, .308 Win, .300 Win Mag, and maybe 7.62 x 39. The 9mm ammo will be used in a Class III Uzi as well as a FN Highpower.
Old December 30, 1998, 12:36 PM   #2
Contender

Spartacus, The only problem I can see with the progressive is resizing the rifle cartridges fast.You will have to lube them. Quite a difference from running straight wall cases into a carbide die if you are used to moving that fast. I use a single stage for rifle because I don't use alot of shells at one time. If your a blaster though, a progressive may be the way to go.
Old December 30, 1998, 10:54 PM   #3
JA

Lee pro 1000 loads all pistol and rifle up to 7.62x39mm. I bought one it worked so well I got another. One for large primers other small. This cut down on time to change calibers. The loadmaster will load all rifle and pistol calibers. If it works as well as 1000 it would be the way to go for about half the price of dillion. The advantage over dillion besides price is the case feeder its automatic,comes with press and works great. LEE also makes automatic bullet feeder.
Old December 30, 1998, 11:14 PM   #4
Contender

JA, Have you had any experience with the loadmaster? It looks like a pretty well built press.
Old December 31, 1998, 06:41 PM   #5
JA

negative on loadmaster 85% of my shooting is pistol,ar-15 and ak-47. So the 1000 handles my needs. But i have vepr 308 so i might need to look into loadmaster. I use spray lub from midway. dump cases in plastic bowl spray,shake,spray,shake and dump in press and go to town. LEE RULES!!!!!
Old December 31, 1998, 11:09 PM   #6
dundee

I reload my pistol calibers on a Dillon 550 and 2 of the rifle calibers on the Dillon.
To reload 308 or 223, I tumble the cases, spray lube the cases on an old cookie sheet-I had to by the wife a new cookie sheet- resize the cases in a single stage press, tumble to get the lube off, then proceed normally to reload in the Dillon. This reduces the amount of pressure I put on the press and gives me a better feel of seating the bullet.