The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2017, 08:07 PM   #1
Prof Young

Really liking the turret press.

Posted recently about getting my first turret press from Lee. Have gotten better at getting the primer seated on the down stroke. What I really like the process finishes a bullet before I move on. Now I can set up a load do ten round or 37 or 82 . . . leave it and come back to it later picking up right where I left off. (I recheck the powder throw, but that's all I need to check.) Have done couple hundred rounds of 9mm. Ammo closet is looking good.

Life is good
Prof Young
Old August 17, 2017, 08:22 PM   #2
dds51968

I have the Classic Turret Press also and think it's an exceptional value and a darn good Press for handgun calibers. The Pro powder measure is good but not always consistent, so what I like to do, though a little time consuming is as follows. I seat the new primer weigh the case on my Frankford digital scale, tare to zero, drop powder and re weigh. That'll always get me the weight of powder I want, if not I dump it and re drop powder. Even with this mildly OCD step (beats a squib) you can still load a bunch of ammo in a reasonable time.

My two cents that you didn't ask for.

Have fun and be safe.

David
Old August 17, 2017, 08:33 PM   #3
Metal god

I like mine . I do not prime on the press but rather use a hand primer . I then remove the decapping rod from my hand gun dies and size the case with the new primer already seated on the first station , next flare & powder drop in the second station , next seat bullet on the third and crimp on the last station . Works well for me .

I size my rifle cases on my single stage and then prime with a hand primer . I have been want to try to use two powder measures and two seating dies in the four hole head . This should allow me to complete a round every two pulls of the handle . I just need to buy a second seating die to try it out . I already have a few powder measures that will work .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old August 17, 2017, 09:05 PM   #4
LAH

Quote:
Ammo closet is looking good.
Good stuff.
Old August 17, 2017, 09:15 PM   #5
kmw1954

Prof, that's good to hear and glad you are liking it. It really is a versatile press. I have an older 3 hole auto index that I use along with a Pro 1000 that's used for 9mm.
Old August 17, 2017, 09:22 PM   #6
Stats Shooter

I was thinking about one of these presses for myself. I already have a xl 650 and 550C, but I keep hearing how wonderful that these presses are and for the price they would be great to take to the long 1k/600 yard range
Old August 17, 2017, 10:39 PM   #7
std7mag

Prof,
Glad to hear. I load everything in my inventory with mine.
I did pop the $25 and got the upgraded powder dispenser with the adjustable disc. Love that disc!!
Old August 17, 2017, 11:17 PM   #8
kmw1954

Mississippi if you do a lot of different load work ups these things are great. As I've been working up loads for a new 380acp with 100gr plated bullets and 2 different powders. I can easily set the dies in the turret and then only have to adjust powder drop or bullet seating depth.
Old August 17, 2017, 11:44 PM   #9
Metal god

Yeah caliber change is like 15sec as well and the tool heads ( or what ever they're called ) only cost $12 . Leave the dies in the tool heads and just swap them out as needed along with the proper shell holder . The auto indexing is what sold me . I'm just not interested in any press I need to manually index . I have enough things to concentrate on and remember when reloading .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old August 18, 2017, 07:14 AM   #10
jetinteriorguy

Gotta love the turret. Only thing I still load on the Loadmaster is 9mm. But I also have a 9mm setup for the turret to work up loads before mass producing on the Loadmaster. One thing I did, I shortened the handle to make it easier on my arm, to compensate on the sizing stroke I use both arms. I just found in my particular case that having the arm at full length was aggravating an old injury but by shortening it I have no problem with it.
Old August 18, 2017, 09:44 AM   #11
Prof Young

Good idea!

Wow. I hadn't thought of shortening the handle to shorten the stroke. That's a great idea. I will play around with that and see if I can't save a bit of energy and become even more efficient.

Life is good.

Prof Young
Old August 18, 2017, 10:21 AM   #12
TailGator

I like my LCT, too. It's not for high-volume loading, but low and medium amounts it does fine. The easy caliber changes are nice, too.

Quote:
I seat the new primer weigh the case on my Frankford digital scale, tare to zero, drop powder and re weigh. That'll always get me the weight of powder I want, if not I dump it and re drop powder. Even with this mildly OCD step (beats a squib) you can still load a bunch of ammo in a reasonable time.
dds51968, I get pretty good consistency (generally +/- 0.1 grain) with my Pro disk unit mounted on the LCT. That is fine for practice ammo. If you mount a light so that you can see into the case and do a visual check you won't miss any powder drops low enough to be a squib. I check every tenth drop the way you do, and some people think that is excessive. By all means, though, do what you are comfortable with - I am the last person to advise someone to do something they don't think is safe.
Old August 18, 2017, 01:03 PM   #13
849ACSO

^^^^^this^^^^^
Old August 18, 2017, 02:06 PM   #14
LAH

Quote:
I check every tenth drop the way you do, and some people think that is excessive.
Don't throw anything but I load bulk handgun ammo on my Dillon & do a powder check each time the primer tube runs empty.
Old August 18, 2017, 08:51 PM   #15
dds51968

I know it's a bit much. I upgraded to a Dillon Square deal and its extremely accurate, it's also very fast at producing ammo which is what makes me mis using the LCT. I enjoy the therapeutic aspect of reloading much more on my Lee.
Old August 19, 2017, 02:14 AM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

I really liked my Spar-T turret press back in the 70s.

Until the first time I seated a bullet with the expander die....