The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 9, 2017, 09:09 AM   #1
Doc Holliday 1950

HELP need advice on LASER sight

I have a Glock 43 and wish to buy a Laser sight, preferably in green but will get it in Red if that's my only option.

My question is the Guide ROD LASER the best or what else is recommended??

I've been thinking this out for a long time and I think that there Guide Rod seems to be the easiest to activate. If not, then what??

Everyone, you all have been a font of info for me since I joined. Please jump in and give me your best answer.

Thanks Doc

Doc
Old August 9, 2017, 09:59 AM   #2
Cheapshooter

Doc, without going into the long answer I started to give, why?
As a training aid, fine. But don't fall for the hype that a lazer is the do all, end all answer to civilian SD shooting.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 9, 2017, 11:41 AM   #3
Doc Holliday 1950

I was thinking about night time defense. I have front and rear factory installed night sights but was thinking about in the darkness. I agree with your thoughts

Thanks.

Doc
Old August 9, 2017, 02:50 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I was thinking about night time defense. I have front and rear factory installed night sights but was thinking about in the darkness
Not sure if it is so dark you can't see the sights, and your presumed attacker is far enough away that you need them that shooting at an unidentified target is the wisest decision.
If an attacker is close enough in the dark to be sure, sights or even a wonder gadget like a laser are pretty useless. That's point, and shoot instinct distance. All assuming you are talking about being out, and away from your residence.
For home defense a bright flashlight is much more important than a laser. In my opinion, not mounted under the gun either.
Old August 9, 2017, 03:08 PM   #5
FITASC

Quote:
Not sure if it is so dark you can't see the sights, and your presumed attacker is far enough away that you need them that shooting at an unidentified target is the wisest decision.
If an attacker is close enough in the dark to be sure, sights or even a wonder gadget like a laser are pretty useless. That's point, and shoot instinct distance. All assuming you are talking about being out, and away from your residence.
For home defense a bright flashlight is much more important than a laser. In my opinion, not mounted under the gun either.
+1

In my home the longest uninterrupted distance from one end to the other is about 45'. I have enough ambient light from appliance clocks and street lights coming in that visibility is good enough, especially with my night sights. Besides, there's only one other person who SHOULD be in the house and she's next to me, so anyone else would be an intruder....
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 9, 2017, 04:08 PM   #6
Doc Holliday 1950

Same here. It's just Mrs. & myself. I'm trying to say if it's night time, in my home, yes there is ambient light but I was wondering if under those circumstances would the laser help to be more accurate. After one shoots in that circumstance wouldn't they be slightly blinded by the flash for a few seconds?
That would be a good time that I'd want that one extra advantage.

Doc
Old August 9, 2017, 04:23 PM   #7
FITASC

The last few times I have been to my local indoor gun range there's been two guys there as well. Both older like me, one trying to help his buddy learn to shoot. The less experienced guy has a laser on his small handgun and that thing is bouncing EVERYWHERE and not always on the target as he shoots. I imagine he is doing everything wrong one sees on those charts about why the shot is hitting here and there. Even if one is decently proficient from a HD/SD standpoint, I would wonder in a darkened room if that light bouncing all over would be a distraction and therefore a hindrance to someone (like me) who is trying to basically point and shoot. IDK and have no data, just thinking out loud.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 9, 2017, 06:32 PM   #8
2damnold4this

I really like the idea of a good handheld flashlight. After taking a night pistol class, I'd put a good flashlight way above a laser as a priority.
Old August 9, 2017, 06:43 PM   #9
tony pasley

Laser will tell bad guy exactly where you are.
Old August 9, 2017, 07:05 PM   #10
Doc Holliday 1950

I understand using the flashlight but the G43 has to be gripped like you're trying to crush it so the idea of the Fl probably will not work for me. I don't need a laser to be accurate. My thoughts were that in my home, at night, that split second targeting would be an advantage. As to the BG would be able to use it to ID where I am, I think that the BG would be neutralized by then. MAYBE?? I could be mistaken. The laser is just another tool and anyone who needs it to try to be accurate is in for a big surprise. When I shoot my wife's LCR 357, she has a laser on it. I never use it when at the range.

Doc
Old August 9, 2017, 08:01 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I understand using the flashlight but the G43 has to be gripped like you're trying to crush it so the idea of the Fl probably will not work for me.
The flashlight shouldn't effect how you grip the gun. I doubt you are getting much of a two hand hold on a G43. I just use the wrist of the weak hand, holding the flashlight, as a "rest" for my strong arm holding the gun. I hold the light with the front (light emitting end) out the pinky end of my fist clinched around the light. The switch end (my Streamlight has the on-off button in the butt end of the light) is thus right under my thumb.
Another advantage of the high output light is if you shine it in the intruder's face he will be blinded for ling enough time to subdue him in whatever way necessary. That is if he doesn't turn tail, and head out where he came in.
Old August 9, 2017, 08:35 PM   #12
lunger

Since you did not ask for opinions of usefulness of lasers, let me respond to your question.

If I was going to mount a green one, I would consider this one http://viridianweapontech.com/reacto...t-for-glock-43
Old August 9, 2017, 08:40 PM   #13
Vulcannut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunger View Post
Since you did not ask for opinions of usefulness of lasers, let me respond to your question.

If I was going to mount a green one, I would consider this one http://viridianweapontech.com/reacto...t-for-glock-43
I second that or a Crimson Trace.
Old August 9, 2017, 09:38 PM   #14
Onward Allusion

I have 2 of them guide rod lasers. A green one for my G22 and a red for my G27. Biggest benefit is that these types of lasers allow one to use whatever holster they want. The downside is that Lasermax guide rod lasers are a little more expensive. Also the switch to turn them on requires a little tweaking one carries IWB or back pocket. Pressure can inadvertently turn the laser on.

Lasers are just tools. Don't only depend on it for target acquisition. Use the laser and practice with it for point-shooting.
Old August 9, 2017, 10:27 PM   #15
MislMan

I have a Crimson Trace rail mounted on my Glock 34, wife uses Crimson Trace grips on her Springfield EMP. Love the laser sights. Gives a little comfort and confidence when checking around the house looking outside for noises in the night. A flashlight may scare off most smash and grab guys but a laser dot has adds just a little more emphasis on who is looking around. Her EMP is a CCW gun for her and draw & point with it is pretty easy (maybe just point shooting works for some folks but not most from what I see at the range). Of course her EMP grip laser is instant on, grip the gun and the laser comes on.
Old August 9, 2017, 10:49 PM   #16
Doc Holliday 1950

The guide rod laser was the main laser that I was inquiring
about in my original post. Has anyone had any problems
with them?

Doc
Old August 10, 2017, 10:40 AM   #17
Onward Allusion

Aside from the soft on/off switch that I had mentioned in my earlier post, my guide rod lasers have functioned 100%. Unless you carry IWB with a really thin holster, back pocket carry, or use a VersaCarry retention clip, you will probably never run into having the laser turn on inadvertently. I'd even replaced the recoil spring with a higher weighted one from Wolff Springs.

If you do carry in one of the methods I'd mentioned above, then the fix is relatively simple. Take a file to the on/off switch (which is Lasermax's version of the Glock slide take down) and deepen the tiny notch just a tad. Doing this will require additional force to engage the on/off switch.

The laser is activated with the trigger finger (ambi design) and is a natural movement. Aside from being slightly more expensive, I would definitely purchase additional ones if the need arises.
Old August 10, 2017, 11:01 AM   #18
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC:
....The less experienced guy has a laser on his small handgun and that thing is bouncing EVERYWHERE and not always on the target as he shoots.
I also see these folks with the lasers at the range and it's like I'm at a laser light show from the '70's. If you're shooting with a laser and the targets still look like swiss cheese you need to practice so that there is a ragged hole on the target where the meatball used to be. IMHO, the best accessories for any handgun are a few extra magazines and extra ammo and rangetime
Old August 10, 2017, 01:10 PM   #19
UncleEd

I absolutely adore lasers for their entertainment value.

As JDBerg wrote, it's like being at a 1970s light show.

And what movie with lots of guns be complete without seeing
the red lines darting out and being trained on some poor
fellow's chest?
Old August 10, 2017, 02:31 PM   #20
Bill DeShivs

Try to look down at your chest.
Think you would see a red dot there?
And, why would you be looking at your chest, anyway?
Old August 10, 2017, 03:56 PM   #21
Scoits

Guess I would not argue with the Seals. As they seem to prefer lasers!
Old August 10, 2017, 04:24 PM   #22
Doc Holliday 1950

Guys. My interest in the guide rod laser for my G43 is NOT to be used as a GIMMICK or for an aid to help me shoot better. I have practised enough with the 43 that I am quite accurate up to about 25 feet. This is strictly a secondary aid to help make sure that at night, in my home, I can keep from getting into the Gunfight at The OK Corral. Just like you have those special front and rear night sights that glow in low or no light, this just one more layer of safety and protection.

Doc
Old August 10, 2017, 05:10 PM   #23
JDBerg

IMHO, A good tactical LED flashlight (see below link for a good one) held in your weak hand, and away from your body but angled to illuminate both your gunsights and your assailant / target is a much better approach than a laser (note that I began with "IMHO")

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0106...ob_neva_mobile
Old August 10, 2017, 05:15 PM   #24
Cheapshooter

Just so you understand that it is just an additional feature for a very rare possibility. Like carrying a fire extinguisher in your vehicle. That's good to have "in case", but it's not the first thing you grab for if your breaks go out. Your first, and foremost defense is your ability to shoot without any add on gadgets.
Old August 10, 2017, 06:41 PM   #25
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday 1950 View Post
The guide rod laser was the main laser that I was inquiring
about in my original post. Has anyone had any problems
with them?
I've never had a guide rod laser but I think they are much more expensive than the others.

There's nothing wrong with having a laser on your gun. With my old eyes I appreciate lasers and red dots.