The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 13, 2017, 12:12 PM   #51
Handgunner00

CZ 83 - a .380 Alternative

Mitch: If you are still assessing options for a .380, I recommend you take a good look at the CZ 83. It's an all steel semi-auto with a 12 round mag and enough weight to absorb a significant percentage of recoil, I believe, without putting undue wear on your lady's firing arm. See attached photo - looks akin to a Walther PP. This is a very accurate pistol that is easily field stripped for cleaning, and CZ-USA still sells mags. grips, and other parts (some on backorder) although production of new models ceased years ago.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CZ 83.jpg (88.8 KB, 18 views)
Old August 14, 2017, 09:09 AM   #52
Ibmikey

My experience with Berta is not favorable, the P 64 is a well made, small, relatively heavy pistol that will cause you to search for a new girlfriend with the first shot. They are "a bit more snappy" is the understatement of the year, I have two and they are the least fired pistols in the safes. Makarov was mentioned as well as CZ 82/83 which are somewhat inexpensive but good shooters, the P 238 is controllable but for a girl's first pistol perhaps a .32 Keltec would get her shooting without the pain.
Old August 14, 2017, 09:53 AM   #53
kmw1954

My wife who now at almost 50rs. old has just started shooting. Never did like guns. She now owns her own 9mm XD Mod2 4" and enjoys shooting it. We also just purchased an EAA Witness Pavona 380 which when side by side with the XD they are practically the same size. The perceived recoil between the 2 guns is practically nill and the 9mm ammo is much cheaper to purchase.

Just an observation.
Old August 15, 2017, 10:08 AM   #54
Laz

Quote:
the P 64 is a well made, small, relatively heavy pistol that will cause you to search for a new girlfriend with the first shot.
Uh, just a suggestion, but maybe you should shoot another direction with your first shot!

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old August 15, 2017, 11:20 AM   #55
ttarp

^That had me doubled over.

You know it just occurred to me, the op's situation fits pretty well with Brownings marketing for the 1911-380. Op's probably already made a purchase by now though?