The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 6, 2017, 09:49 AM   #1
Eod1

Col. Rex Applegate

Has anyone here ever trained in thr Rex Applegate techniques?
Old July 6, 2017, 12:26 PM   #2
Bartholomew Roberts

According to this, the OSS basic course during WW2 was 2-3 weeks long. The link also describes a nighttime exercise in a log shoothouse conducted with a 1911, two mags, seven targets and a two-shot per target requirement. I imagine you might as well point shoot given the old 1911 sights in a loghouse in the dark.

https://www.cia.gov/library/center-f...-web-19Jun.pdf

I might well go a different route if I had more time, better equipment or both.

ETA: I noticed the article above mentions that the Operational Groups, which received some of the longest training and fought as units in occupied countries, received a total of 4 hours instruction on the 1911, 4 hours on the rifle, and 4 hours on the subgun.

Last edited by Bartholomew Roberts; July 6, 2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old July 6, 2017, 12:50 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

At the Police Academy (College of the Redwoods '84) we were taught natural point shooting and aimed fired. I taught my kinfolk that technique too and they're good at it.

I had the honor of meeting Col. Applegate at Trexpo. Paladin Press was nearby and I bought his book, Kill or Get Killed, tore off the plastic wrapper, went up to him, introduced myself and offered my hand, and then got him to autograph that book for me.
Old July 7, 2017, 04:35 PM   #4
Eod1

In doing some more research, I located this guy through another man, who directed to Bob Harvey who runs the south florida gun school. Mr. Harvey was apparently trained by Rex Applegate, who was trained by William Fairbairn during ww2. His website is here http://www.sflagunschool.com/index.html. He doesn't list his point shooting course on the website, but I learned from the same gentleman that turned me onto him that he does indeed offer that training and was certified by Rex Applegate in instructing Applegates method/s.

His backgrounds seems very impressive, starting with the fact he was a Vietnam Marine, later a PMI for the US Marine Corps, former Marine embassy guard, former US Marine firearms instructor, along with a boat load of NRA certifications. He's been in the business about 30 years and seems to have some excellent credentials.

Anyone know anything about Mr. Harvey or the South Florida gun school? Taken any of his courses, etc?

Thanks in advance, I plan on speaking to him sometime next week, just thought I'd get some feedback here if there's any to be offered in the form of first hand experience.
Old July 12, 2017, 10:13 PM   #5
Eod1

Just found my instructor for point shooting. His name Is Robin Brown AKA Brownie . Has anyone ever herd of this guy. Is he good etc. I found him throw a shooting school in Florida. They say he is the best there is that's still alive.
Old July 13, 2017, 01:37 PM   #6
spacemanspiff

If you already have testimony that he is the best around, why is more validation needed as to his skills?
Old July 13, 2017, 02:47 PM   #7
Eod1

I want to know what you think spacemanspiff??
Old July 13, 2017, 05:51 PM   #8
Glenn E. Meyer

Robin Brown is quite controversial and we don't need to replay that here. Also, point shooting is one of the most discussed gun forum topics and the OP can search those numerous points of view through Google.

Thus, I'm calling it as we just don't need it. It is due diligence for the OP to research the issue.

Closed