The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 10, 2017, 09:02 PM   #51
FITASC

Quote:
and of course, all the pro's started jockeying for dominance in the game and there ya have it....another formal clay game just like skeet or trap with just more angles and machines.
Yep, but with very few perfect scores, it is all about trying to hit as many as you can; as opposed to running perfect with 35 other folks and getting into the shootoff.

Always amazed how many trap and skeet shooters won't try sporting clays because their egos about needing a perfect score gets in the way.....
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 11, 2017, 02:03 PM   #52
eastbank

i agree, my best at sporting clays is 42 and that what i try to beat. and i am a trap and skeet shooter. eastbank.
Old March 11, 2017, 08:44 PM   #53
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC
Always amazed how many trap and skeet shooters won't try sporting clays because their egos about needing a perfect score gets in the way..
Perfect scores? I'm happy with pretty good scores.

I shot a lot of sporting clays many years ago, mostly because it was easier to get on a sporting clays squad than it was to get a squad interested in a round of skeet or trap.
The trap field, however, now has a voice activated trap and I can practice by myself. No need to get a trapper to pull for you.
For skeet at my club, you either have to find a squad, or use the delayed pull feature of the field, unless of course, you own a Clay Delay voice control.
Old March 14, 2017, 08:57 PM   #54
stuckinthe60s

its not ego, its about a desire for perfection. in clays, perfection is hoped for.
skeet and trap, its expected to be all 25 or none.
take bowling. most dream of a 300.
im happy with a 100.
clays is like bowling. you go and give it your best and go home satisfied with what you did.
skeet and trap is.....you go there to hit 25. if you miss, you fail.
its 2 whole different sports.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old March 17, 2017, 03:28 PM   #55
Rob228

I've ran a handfull of 25's and one 50 in trap, and I agree with all the assessments about trap and skeet. Also, I've shot a lot more 23's than 24's, after the first miss the second one is almost inevitable for me.
Old February 1, 2018, 08:01 AM   #56
stuckinthe60s

heading to conn with my Winchesters to do my annual tour of clubs. anyone shooting winter leagues up there?
Old February 1, 2018, 12:45 PM   #57
dreaming

I try to get to the skeet field once a week and used to do a lot more 16 yard trap.
Old February 1, 2018, 06:52 PM   #58
stuckinthe60s

what state?
Old February 1, 2018, 07:46 PM   #59
bobn

shoot some 5 stand if you really want to get humbled. local sporting clay field has a semi trailer with a wood stove in one end and 5 hatches to shoot out of. 8 throwers in a horseshoe shape in front of you. great fun. bob
Old February 1, 2018, 08:08 PM   #60
FITASC

Quote:
shoot some 5 stand if you really want to get humbled.
Shoot some ZZs or box pigeons.............
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 1, 2018, 09:07 PM   #61
stuckinthe60s

I don't need humbling. purpose of my tour is to meet and visit old and new friends. shooting is just an excuse to socialize. ya know...the way it was meant to be, before organized sports took it all over.
Old February 1, 2018, 11:30 PM   #62
bobn

fs....quick explanation of zz and box pigeons please....
.....stuck in 60, ya we do that in wisc/mn border area.....ps stuck in the 70s, (usn 72.76) bobn
Old February 2, 2018, 07:52 AM   #63
stuckinthe60s

zz is a machine/array that delivers targets in a wild way.
box pigeons are illegal now. sometimes known as (live bird) where a live dove is under a box and is let loose. it must be shot and fall within a circle to win.
Old February 2, 2018, 07:53 AM   #64
stuckinthe60s

I was Westpac in the 70's. I went to a' school in Lakehurst nj. then, mirimar nas.
Old February 2, 2018, 08:32 AM   #65
darkgael

Trap

Did I miss it? There is no mention of International Trap.
Five computer controlled machines for each station. Every shooter gets the same combination. Smaller, harder, faster target birds than ATA trap. Two shots at each allowed. Any time I have seen it...shooters always take the two shots. Gun up and bang-bang. Shot load limited to 24 grams (25 is 7/8ths oz.)
“In ATA Trap (16 yard Trap) you cuss when you miss one. In International (Olympic) trap, you are happy when you hit one.”
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; February 2, 2018 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Adding an idea
Old February 2, 2018, 10:03 AM   #66
stuckinthe60s

its sorta like asking if someone rides a vicker in japan.
Old February 2, 2018, 04:30 PM   #67
darkgael

Huh?

Quote:
its sorta like asking if someone rides a vicker in japan.
Huh?
Old February 2, 2018, 06:23 PM   #68
FITASC

Quote:
fs....quick explanation of zz and box pigeons please....
.....stuck in 60, ya we do that in wisc/mn border area.....ps stuck in the 70s, (usn 72.76) bobn
Here's a video showing ZZs (aka Helice)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L4k9R1pAyc

Watch out for the background techno-music, it can be a little loud

This game originated in the 60s as an alternative to shooting flyers, aka "box pigeons" - live pigeons launched from box traps in competition with a lot of money involved.

Helice is the French term for propeller (you'll see why in the video) ZZ came from the first ones which were made of zinc and were to be similar to the Mexican Zurrito breed of pigeon which was the fastest and hardest live pigeon to shoot.

Basic premise- 5, 7, or 9 machines fanned out 27 meters from the shooting position. They can spin anywhere from 2500 to 10000 rpm; most run about 7500. You, as the shooter, have no idea which machine will launch or which way the target will travel. You have to separate the white "witness cap" from the propeller AND it has to land inside the outer fence, otherwise it is a lost target. Since a "race" is typically 20 birds, missing 1 or 2 can mean losing.
Old February 2, 2018, 07:46 PM   #69
bobn

my reflexes are way too slow for that. thanks for reply. bobn
Old February 3, 2018, 07:46 AM   #70
darkgael

Thanks for the video link. That looks like a lot of fun.
Are there any circumstances where the bird is out of play and the shooter does not have to take the shot. Some of those birds appeared to fly behind the machines upon launch.
One shot per bird?
Old February 3, 2018, 09:18 AM   #71
FITASC

Two shots per bird; any question on legality would be up to the ref.

This is the governing body in the US; they are aligned with the French FITASC governing body (as opposed to the rival Spanish FEDECAT group)

http://ushelice.com/

darkgael - Keystone in PA has helice

Keystone Shooting Park
www.keystoneshootingpark.com
610 Game Farm Road,
Dalmatia, PA 17017
Google Maps: Keystone Shooting Park
Phone: 717-903-9009 or 717-362-1966
E-Mail: [email protected]

Quote:
ARTICLE 3.14.1

If a target strikes the ground but resumes flight with no noticeable change in speed and direction, it shall be considered a legal target. Such a call remains the case even when the target remains in light contact with the ground.

If a ground strike results in a partial loss of flight (i.e., a noticeable change in speed) before the shooter has a reasonable opportunity to make an attempt to shoot, a “NO BIRD” shall be called. If such a strike occurs in between shots, the shooter is entitled to shoot another helice but only using one cartridge.

If a ground strike results in total loss of flight before the shooter has a reasonable opportunity to make an attempt, a “NO BIRD” shall be called. If such a strike occurs in between shots, the shooter is entitled to shoot another helice but only using one cartridge.

Last edited by FITASC; February 3, 2018 at 09:32 AM. Reason: added
Old February 3, 2018, 09:40 AM   #72
B.L.E.

What does it cost to shoot a round of Helice? I looked up target prices and it looks like those targets cost around $.80 each.

Trap and skeet with reloaded ammo is quite expensive enough for me and as far as trap being "easy", no matter how good you get at this sport, there's always someone who can do it even better. Getting on the podium at the Grand American is anything but easy.
Old February 3, 2018, 10:55 AM   #73
FITASC

Most places, targets can run closer to $1.50-$2.00 each. A race is typically 20 birds. Serious competition with serious prizes and costs can go up (along with side bets). Unless you have a ot of money, this is not something you typically go out and shoot 200 at a time.
Old February 3, 2018, 03:10 PM   #74
B.L.E.

I guess that $.80 figure I saw was the club's wholesale prices.

Our trap league had an end of the season luncheon and informal trap shoot today, non-registered.
We decided to shoot a round or two of skrap. Shoot 'till you hit from each skeet station at the trap birds, five shot maximum. The last shooter to run out of ammo wins. That was humbling. I think some folks call this game "Doc Adams" or "Chinese trap"
Old February 7, 2018, 01:15 AM   #75
jmstr

I plan to get into trap/skeet/sporting clays shooting. I've begun collecting the tools for it, but haven't had the time yet.

I do have a "HD-Shotgun", just for fun, but feel more comfortable with my handgun.

I have a hammer coach SxS, and 3 other SxS 12g, as well as an O/U 12, an 870 SuperMag [duck duck goose], and 2 semi-autos [Turkish- made 12 for S&W, and Browning Auto-5].

I like the older stuff more, but don't claim to be particularly good. I am much better with handguns- especially old steel: 1911, BHP, pre-# S&W, Pre 1960 Colt revolvers.

However, shotgun practice will be fun and I plan on getting better.

Tempermentally, I prefer the lines of my LC Smith Field [1947], but won't dismiss any modern shotguns either.

I may not like the 'tactical' approach, but have one or two just for fun.