The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 17, 2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Gebirg

1938 9x25 mm Mauser with swastika

In my hunting for loading klips for my 9mm C96, i came over this original box marked m34(ö) of 9x25 Mauser from 1938 with klips in original package...
In the bottom of the shell the German eagle or swastika is pressed - never seen this before...

(ö) for ostria or austria?
In the 1930s a handful of Austrian, Hungarian and Swiss submachine guns and machine carbines were chambered for this caliber.
Maybe this box is for The MP34 (Maschinenpistole 34, literally "Machine Pistol 34")?

In the same time i got hold of two original klips made by and marked DWM for my commercial pre WWI C96, reworked for WWII by Simson...

I`m happy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kopi av IMG_7296.jpg (128.6 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Kopi av IMG_7298.jpg (84.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Kopi av IMG_7303.jpg (71.3 KB, 65 views)
Old March 17, 2013, 01:48 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

You'll see the Nazi eagle impressed in ammo from Germany and Austria during this period.

Mostly I've seen it in rifle ammo, 8x56R Stery ammo.

I agree with you that the ammo was destined for the Austrian MP34 submachine gun.

The fact that it is in clips is logical, because what a lot of people don't know is that the magazine housing on these guns doubled as a magazine loader for use with the stripper clips.

Many years ago I worked for the Pennsylvania State Museum, and one of the guns in the collection was an absolutely gorgeous MP34 that had been captured by the 28th Division in World War II.

It didn't look as if it had ever been issued or used.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 17, 2013, 02:17 PM   #3
Gebirg

Used guns in WWII

I belive that - i got several guns from WWII, not reblued og refinish but still they dont seems to be used, just like the commercial Mauser HSc ive just posted...
Old March 17, 2013, 04:09 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, the German name for Austria is Österreich (literally, "East nation"), which is where the umlaut O comes in.

Jim