The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 17, 2013, 11:56 AM   #1
matt29375

problems chambering 5.56 reloaded brass in remington 700

Hi, I am having an issue with 5.56 lake city reloads that I am reoading to .223 specs for my new remington 700 ADL .223. I cannot get the rounds to chamber even after full length resize and trim. Is it possible for my chamber to just be too tight? Factory loaded .223 and 5.56 will fit fine. I do not shoot 5.56, I just want to use the brass for reloads because of the amount I have. Keep in mind that these are brand new resize dies and a brand new gun. Thanks for any help you could give
Old February 17, 2013, 12:05 PM   #2
Striker1

see any marks on the cartridge?

Have you tried using a case gauge?

You might post your question in the reloading forum too.
Old February 17, 2013, 12:20 PM   #3
matt29375

the only mark on the case or bullet or anything i have seen was a round mark about half way down the case that goes all the way around. however, I am using a digital caliper to measure and the diameter at that mark in the case is exactly the same as the factory remington .223 so I dont see the difference or reason for the mark. thanks
Old February 17, 2013, 01:36 PM   #4
hammie

Yes the chamber could be too tight. Sometimes you get a minimum tolerance chamber paired with a maximum tolerance die. If that's the problem, some suggestions are:
1. Contact the die maker. Usually, they will remedy the problem for free if you send them your full length resizing die and a fired case.
2. Buy a small base resizing die.
3. Grind about .005 inches off the face of the shell holder. Then adjust the sizing die down, until the resized case JUST chambers easily in the rifle. Remember that headspace will always have to be manually adjusted when you use that shell holder for other rifles or that rifle.
4. Buy another resizing die and hope you get lucky, and I'm not being snarky. Everyone has their favorite die maker, but I've always had the best luck with Redding dies.
Old February 17, 2013, 11:23 PM   #5
arizona98tj

Or by a case gauge and check your resized brass before doing all kinds of other things that may or may not be necessary.
Old February 17, 2013, 11:35 PM   #6
RC20

How does it do with 223 brass?

5.56 implies its been shot out of a semi auto?
Old February 18, 2013, 04:09 PM   #7
matt29375

It does fine with .223 brass and I even tried chamber(not shooting) 5.56 factory loads and they even chamber fine. Also all of the .223 ammo that I am reloading work fine. thanks for the help guys
Old February 19, 2013, 11:24 PM   #8
RC20

Try the re loaders. It sounds like the brass is getting blown out but not complete reset.

Are you checking length and or shoulder sizing?

Is the 5.56 raw brass? Sounds like picked up.

It might be a brass and die combo that does not work
Old February 20, 2013, 11:01 AM   #9
RKG

Remington 700s are not known for tight chambers or short leades.

My guess (and it is just that) is that your brass needs to be trimmed.
Old February 25, 2013, 09:55 AM   #10
gpjoe

Buy this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/456...-223-remington

It will tell you if your brass and loaded rounds fall within the maximum specs for the round.

The only time I have had a problem with reloaded 5.56 rounds chambering was when I made the mistake of trying to seat a few bullets a bit deeper after they were already seated and crimped at a longer OAL. When I did that the bullet did not push further into the case - the case bulged at the shoulder and the rounds would not chamber. If I had a case gage like the one above, I would have known immediately. I have a gage now and check every one of my reload rounds.
Old February 25, 2013, 11:05 PM   #11
RC20

We have had more than one die that was a bit dodgy and depended on the gun if it would work or not (and as we shoot a lot of different ones its got put aside).

The gauge is a good idea for that sort of cross purpose work.

I have one for 9mm, whats interesting is apparently its at the minimum spec and the pistol is at the maximum. The shells generally stick up a bit which would indicated an issue. Pull the barrel off the 9mm and they fit fine.

I have figured out how much they can stick up and still fit in the chamber (it tends to be about 1/4 inch or a lot worse). Easy enough to take the pistol down to check (not so much in a rifle of course). Whats funny is some mfg brass allows it to sit full depth. So, despite the same die re-size there is a variation there. While interesting, I really don't care as long as I am ok.

So, like all tools, they have their learning curve and not a slam dunk.

Tags
.223 , 5.56 , chamber issues , reload , rem 700