The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 23, 2010, 12:49 AM   #1
escard

.300 WinMag w/ 150 grs TTSX - ok for deer?

Is there anyone out there who has some good (or bad) experience while hunting deer with the 150 grains Barnes TTSX ?
Old July 23, 2010, 07:30 AM   #2
hardluk1

It will be a bit of overkill with that bullet but if you happen to also be in elk country, hog or black bear then you are ready. Those bullets can go from front to rear of a big deer ,i know. I shot a mulley some years back and got 51" of messed up deer. All you need for deer is any oll soft point that shoots well in your gun and shoot the neck or heart lung area. BUT those barnes x bullets will work on the shoulders too and break both of them and keep going. Good bullets.
Old July 24, 2010, 03:55 PM   #3
b12alex

Personaly i would stay with the 180 grain because they dont move as much in the wind and they carry more energy. The 150 may not have as much drop but if you are using a .300 you want the power with the shot. In the end though yes your 150 will do the job no problem on deer for sure.
Old July 26, 2010, 02:37 PM   #4
my2cats

I have a Tikka 695 and use this load for deer hunting. You'll punch a hole right through em and they will hit the ground fast. I found that the GMX bullets are the best shooting in my rifle. A little over kill maybe, but accurate and fast.
Old July 26, 2010, 10:04 PM   #5
Hoskins

Not trying to be combative...but I don't think you can overkill a deer or any other animal unless it gets to a point to where you destroy meat. You cant kill a deer deader than dead...dead is dead.

Not saying to get a Barrett .50 cal BMG & hunt deer with it...yes that is way too much & would prob blow it nearly in half.:barf: I do think that what folks are meaning is that the .300 Win Mag is way more than is actually needed, but it isnt overkill. If you compare it, you can reliably take deer w/ a .243, 30/30,etc... The .300 Win Mag definately far exceeds thoses calibers in all ballistics.

I have a 7mm Rem Mag & it has ballistics that are very, very close to the .300 Win Mag. I don't typically deer hunt with it though. I reserve it for long range hunting, deer hunting near the reclaimed strip mines of my south eastern KY home (when I am on Military leave). Additionally, when I retire from the USMC in 6 years I will be getting into elk hunting...the 7mm Rem Mag will be my go to weapon for this quarry.

The 30.06 I own is my go to weapon 90% of the time. The recoil is lighter, the weapon is lighter, & it has more than adequate ballistics to drop a deer. Nothing wrong w/ the .300 & I know many people that use it for deer hunting. With that beast (.300)...I think any type/weight of round will work for deer, even Managed Recoil type rounds. Sorry for ranting on, I'm new on here & just really glad I found this forum!
Old July 26, 2010, 11:15 PM   #6
mitchell koster

Plenty big enough!!

Barnes 150grain is plenty big enough.

Barnes are a good stable bullet too!!.

Good Luck.

MK
Old July 27, 2010, 06:34 AM   #7
hardluk1

Hoskins Just ment that the barnes bullets might be a waist on deer sized game. They do work very well at breaking bone and do mushroom nicely but most any soft point or more disruptive bullet designs do work as well or better on deer if shooting to the larger center section of the body. And cost a bit less. But if hog, elk or moose was in your hunting area?? use the barnes x
Old July 27, 2010, 01:16 PM   #8
Hoskins

Hardluk1, brother for the longest time I just used plain old Remington express Core-Lokt 150gr 30.06 for the big bodied whitetail deer back where I am from & they worked just fine. The majority of the times it would drop them in their tracks.

Last edited by Hoskins; July 27, 2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old July 27, 2010, 01:35 PM   #9
BIG P

I've used ttsx 150's they tend to make large exit wounds if you get alittle bone. but they do fine job.I like 180gr.Sierra gameking over 75.5 of RL22 gives u 3150fps these do a good job on deer,bear,hogs alike good luck