The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 28, 2002, 03:01 PM   #1
Big Arm Hannigan

For those of you that participate in matches that require ...

a pistol caliber carbine and shotgun, what do you use and/or recommend and why?
Old October 28, 2002, 03:12 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Cowboy or modern?
I don't know of a modern event that requires a "pistol caliber" carbine, guess there might be some on tight ranges.
I shoot IDPA and IPSC three-gun with an AR15 and a Remington 1100. If I had to have a pistol caliber carbine, I would look for a 9mm upper for the AR.
Old October 28, 2002, 03:26 PM   #3
Big Arm Hannigan

Oops! Should have stated modern. This match requires a pistol caliber because the targets are up close and some are steel.
Old October 28, 2002, 10:11 PM   #4
Archie

The first choice would be ...

something in the same caliber as your handgun.

Ruger makes a carbine in 9x19 and 40 S&W. Marlin used to, there are some around. I don't know if Colt still makes the AR series carbine in 9x19. It was a bit spendy for a limited purpose gun, in my thought.

Don't count out a lever gun, if legal. They get wiped out if you have to do a thirty round burst, but if it's a shooter's match rather than an equipment match, they do well.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old October 28, 2002, 10:24 PM   #5

I have never shot in a match like that but I would probably go with the Ruger PC-9. It uses the same magazines as their P89, and standard capacity magazines are readily available at a reasonable price along with 30 round stick mags.
Another option might be the Kel-Tec carbine if you shoot a Glock since they use Glock mags.
The cream of the crop would be an upper for an AR, assuming you already own an AR. I don't know about pricing, but it might not be the most expensive route. The Ruger PC-9 is not cheap, I am pretty sure it is over $400.
A budget consideration might be a Hi-Point 9mm Carbine. Hi-Point firearms are butt ugly, but my carbine runs fine and exhibits accuracy comparable to my Ruger PC-9 at about half the price.
Then of course as suggested, there are the lever action rifles in pistol calibers. I don't know what kind of senario you are shooting, so it is difficult to know if the slow reloading time would be a factor.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old October 28, 2002, 11:13 PM   #6
Neil Casper

The ranges where I used to shoot 3-gun did not want anyone perforating their steel so limited it to pistol caliber.

I bought a Ruger PC9 just for this purpose. Good accuracy, cheap ammo, high cap mags available. I have 10, 15, 20, and 30 round mags for it.

I have used a Weaver 1-3x scope, red dot, or iron as required.
The trigger is not match quality, but better than any Marlin Camp Carbine I ever tried.
Old October 29, 2002, 07:00 AM   #7
braindead0

Hmm, as I'm shooting SSR in IDPA.. perhaps this would justify a .357mag lever gun... woopee!

Heck, might as well go hog wild and get a double barrel 12ga that'd sure make it fun!
Old October 29, 2002, 10:05 AM   #8
Big Arm Hannigan

Thanks for the replies! I am going to start out with our cowboy lever guns, but eventually will get something else. Anybody tried one of those conversion units that go on a 1911 frame?
Old October 29, 2002, 10:05 AM   #9
wakal

Those Mech-Tech uppers are getting to be pretty popular. I finally broke down and joined the herd with one for my Glock 22. With 30-round sticks, the full length rail, and a PDP3, it is pretty darn slick.

Alex
Old October 29, 2002, 03:27 PM   #10
9x45

If you are refering to USPSA 3-gun or SOF, the only rifles that are competitive are AR-15's of various makes. Shotguns are allways autoloaders. Steel is for the shotgun only.
Old October 31, 2002, 06:05 PM   #11
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

I've been seeing Remington 11-87's set up for "tactical" shooting ie rifle sights or ghost rings, short barrel, extended mag for under $300. If I wanted a NEW shotgun that's the one I'd buy.

If your rifle has to be in a "pistol" caliber, I'd opt for something that uses mags for a pistol you already have... unless an M-1 Carbine is legal?

Low Price:
Hi-Point: Cheap, reliable. Pistol gripped for on ehanded operation. (Downside: no hi-caps, ugly, was used in Columbine shootings, not as accurate as others)

Median Price Range:
Ruger PC rifles: Use Ruger Pistol Mags. Hi-Caps galore. (Downside: heavier than others, no pistol grip)
Marlin Camp Carbines: Use SW or 1911 pattern mags, again Hi-caps galore (Downside: discontinued, doesn't look "tactical" no pistol grip)

Higher price range:
M1 Carbine: Uses GI Mags, zillions of them around, hard hitting caliber (compared to many pistols), collectible, historical, light. (downside: more expensive to shoot, no pistol grip)

High price range:
Colt AR15 9mm/SW-94/HK-94: well made good looking rifles that accept hi-cap mags and have lots of "tactical" features (downside: expensive mags, may be "banned" in your locale, higher prices, taller sights compared to bore.