The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: What to do with guns with impending hurricane?
Leave them in the safe- they may get flooded though 0 0%
Put them in the attic- less secure but lesser chance of flooding 1 25.00%
Bring them someplace less "secure" but less likely to get damaged 3 75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 4, 2017, 07:58 PM   #1
stephen426

Hurricane is coming... Where do you store your guns?

For those in Texas this might be a bit late. Irma is still a few days away, but poses a serious threat to the Eastern Seaboard. Most of my guns are in my safe. It has an electronic lock and would most likely short out if flooded. I don't believe safes are water tight either, even though mine is a fire safe. I'm thinking about wrapping my pistols and shove them in a plastic tub to store in the attic. I can silicone the lid shut for extra water tightness and throw in a dessicant pack. The attic isn't secure, but people won't know where to look. Another option is to move them to our office building which has impact windows and is on the 3rd floor. I won't really have a very secure place to store them there though. I will keep my carry gun and an AR handy.

Please share your thoughts. Thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by Harvey and prayers for safety for those who may be in Irma's path.

I forgot to mention I have too much stuff to try and carry everything with me.
Old September 4, 2017, 09:53 PM   #2
B-Shot

I use the vacume seal garmt bags and put them back in the safe
Old September 4, 2017, 09:56 PM   #3
TXAZ

really good idea B-Shot.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 5, 2017, 11:18 AM   #4
Armybrat

Putting them up in the attic rafters may not be such a good idea:

https://www.facebook.com/mosbornejr/...0140276288322/
Old September 5, 2017, 12:18 PM   #5
ShootistPRS

I chose where I live and that excluded any big earthquakes, floods, tornadoes, and hurricanes. I get an occasional wind and thunder storm but built the house to withstand even an M8 earthquake, high snow loads, and fire. I have never understood why people live in areas where the weather and earth can cause mass destruction.

Living in Seattle was OK because the worst thing that we had to deal with was an M7 earthquake, Then they discovered the Cascadia subduction zone. Well, there was no way to store enough food and water for a disaster that was going to last for years so I moved. I can't talk my family into getting out so they may have to deal with it. I guess somebody has to go through the tragedy to teach others.
Old September 5, 2017, 12:46 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

There are three primary considerations:
1. Wind.
2. Water.
3. Looters.

The wind doesn't last long, but is very destructive.
The water generally doesn't rip buildings from their foundations or wash belongings away, but sticks around for much longer than the wind.
The looters are unpredictable, and the severity of the storm and time it takes for residents to return determines how much time they may or may not have to rifle through your house.

If you're in an area where the wind will be an issue, then putting stuff in the attic is not a solid option. If the roof goes, so do your precious items.
It's better to let firearms get flooded, than blown away.

If you're in an area where wind is not much of an issue, but flooding can be ... then protect and elevate. If you use a water-tight container, at least briefly consider securing it to the house or some other object that's not likely to float away. I have a friend that lost a 1911 and a Browning A-Bolt after Hurricane Ivan smashed Pensacola, because they were in a sealed Pelican case under a bed. The Pelican case and several totes of family pictures and 'important papers' floated away when the house flooded (windows already blown out).

Looters?... Depends upon your situation and circumstances.
Find a balance of wind, water, and theft abatement that you feel offers the least risk.
Old September 5, 2017, 02:54 PM   #7
Evan Thomas

There is already a thread here on the subject of Securing guns during a disaster. We don't need a duplicate -- even one with a poll.