The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 23, 2015, 04:21 PM   #1
M1ke10191

Saving brass from Greek HXP M2 Ball

Hey guys, I did a quick search and really couldn't find an answer so I figured I'd ask here. Might be a dumb question but I'm looking to buy my first Garand from the CMP. I was going to buy 2 cans of Greek HXP ammo with it as well. My question is can I save that brass and use it to reload more rounds for the Garand? I have the right load data for safe reloads from my Hornady manual; I just wanted to make sure I could salvage that HXP brass after I shoot it. The site says it's brass and that it's boxer primed but I just wanted to make sure I could reuse the brass. Oh, do they have crimped primer pockets? I don't have a de-crimper so that might be an issue.
Old November 23, 2015, 04:31 PM   #2
emcon5

Yes. It is perfectly serviceable reloadable brass.

On edit: I do believe the primers are crimped, but not heavily, and I never had to do anything special to reload them. Spent primper pops out fine with a Lee die on a Rock Chucker, and new primer seats fine with a RCBS hand priming tool.
Old November 23, 2015, 05:52 PM   #3
P5 Guy

HXP M2

All the M2 Ball I have that is head stamped HXP has three stake marks around the primer pocket. Very easy to swag back for future handloading.
Old November 23, 2015, 06:52 PM   #4
mikld

I got my CMP Garand 2 years ago and since, I've purchased 400 rounds of the Greek surplus, HXP. I've been reloading the HXP brass right along and have as many as 5 reloadings on some. FL size, trim, a load of IMR 4064 and a 150-155 gr, HPBT. I use a simple sixty degree counter sink to remove the stake crimps from the primer pockets; one twist and it's gone...
Old November 23, 2015, 07:22 PM   #5
M1ke10191

Awesome! Thanks you guys very much.
Old November 25, 2015, 09:13 PM   #6
flashhole

I don't own a 30-06 but HXP brass is my favorite brass for reforming 30-06 to 25-06. I wish I had more of it. Primer removal has not been an issue for me.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old November 25, 2015, 11:14 PM   #7
RC20

Only downside is it does not fit some chambers.

Or its real tight in said chambers. One we have it does not like the others (all mil surplus) it is fine with. Good odds you are ok or a heavy re-size, i.e. just a bit of set back does not do it for sure.

I use the RCBS case prep inside case to grind off the 3 crimps. Once or twice and you don't need to do it again.
Old November 25, 2015, 11:52 PM   #8
rg1

Great brass for reloading. The stab crimps I remove with just a couple turns of my case mouth deburr tool by hand. I reload HXP brass with the same charges as RP and Win brass. It's weight is comparable to commercial brass and not a heavier military case. My HXP fired cases have been long after firing and requires quite a bit of trimming. Like all fired brass check inside for signs of case stretching. I recommend a case gauge when sizing to measure the amount you push the shoulders back. Lots of Garands have near maximum length chambers and pushing the shoulder back to "zero" overworks the brass and could lead to case separations.
Old November 26, 2015, 04:17 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle