The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 9, 2015, 02:39 PM   #1
ammo.crafter

444 brass

Anyone have an idea for 444 brass?

I have necked down to 358 Bellm but also have lots of 444 that are too short for this conversion.
Old March 9, 2015, 03:31 PM   #2
Doyle

Curious, is the .444 that is too short Hornady brass? The reason I ask is that some of their other stuff that originally came loaded with LeverEvolution bullets has been reported to be shorter than normal also (notably 45-70). Seems that the pointy tips make the COAL too long unless they shorten the brass - which makes it harder to use for reloading regular bullets.
Old March 9, 2015, 03:35 PM   #3
Blindstitch

410 shot shells.
Old March 9, 2015, 04:17 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

I generally use mine for .444 Marlin loads. Seems to be the most effective use of the case.
Second to that, would be .410 or .444-.410 shot shells.

.405 JES? (.444 Marlin necked down to ".41" caliber)
Nearly any of the JDJ cartridges.
Turn the rims down and use it as .308?

Doyle - Yes, the LeverEvolution cases are shorter for most cartridges. The difference is most notable with .357 Mag, .44 Mag, .444 Marlin, .45-70, and .450 Marlin.

But, it's only the LE brass. Standard, 'Light Magnum', and Superformance factory loads use full length brass. And all Hornady* and Remington** component brass is full length.
*(When they make it. The LE ammo is more profitable, so Hornady prefers to make FTX bullets and LE brass, rather than full length brass, 265 FPs, and the Superformance load)
**(If they ever sell it again. They've run it multiple times in the last few years, but reserve all brass for factory loaded ammunition, in order to maximize profit while the market is hot.)