The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 2, 2013, 10:59 PM   #1
srfisher3

Replacement to re-blueing..finishing help

I recently acquired an older S&W revolver with a pretty significant amount of pitting and rust. I'm not in the market to have the gun re-blued but I've heard horror stories about people applying chemicals to their weapons and damaging the gun permanently. Is there a cleaning material / method I can use to remove the rust and lighten the pitting without ruining the gun's blueing and finishing? Thanks!
Old January 3, 2013, 01:13 AM   #2
Powderman

In a word....no.

Remember one thing--bluing IS rust, albeit controlled rusting. Rust remover WILL remove bluing.

As for pitting, that is work for a polisher for flaw removal.

Best bet--call Smith and Wesson directly, and ask how much it would cost for a bright blue finish and flaw removal.
Old January 3, 2013, 09:01 PM   #3
smoakingun

the rust can be safely removed, but the pitting can be permanent if it is deep enough.
to remove the rust, a little 0000 steel wool and a bit of oil is all you need. The bluing, what is left of it, will be fine
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.