The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 9, 2011, 03:59 PM   #1
rick35ovi

Merwin Hulbert, (hopkins Allen) Junior

I have a Merwin Hulbert, Hopkins Allen Junior .22 rifle, The firing pin was broken when i recieved it but i am having a new one made. Does anyone know if the part of the pin that actually strikes the shell is round or square,(rectangle) as in todays modern .22 rifles? The rifle is a falling block .22, When you remove the block the is a round hole fore the fing pin, just not sure i sould go with a round profile or a square rectangle profile. Any help would be appreciated!!
Old March 9, 2011, 04:05 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

It really doesn't matter as long as the firing pin doesn't reach the edge of the chamber when the rifle is not loaded. Since a larger firing pin contact surface spreads out the blow, I would start with a round pin, filling the hole in the block. If you get erratic ignition, you can always cut the pin to a rectangular shape by filing the sides at an angle and get better ignition.

Jim
Old March 9, 2011, 04:16 PM   #3
rick35ovi

Wow!

Man That was Fast!! thanks for the Help!!
Old March 10, 2011, 11:07 AM   #4
rick35ovi

Bullet Short, long, long rifle?

Okay next Question, This rifle is not marked s, l, or lr, The rifle was test fired last night with long rifle .22 but when fired it does'nt seem to have any pressure behind the bullet. It seems that there is no pressure behind it and when the shell was ejected it seemed to be bulged a little where the bullet was seated in the cartridge.
Old March 10, 2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Scorch

It is probably chambered for 22 Short. 22LR was introduced in 1887 but many rifles were chambered for 22 Short due to the lower pressures involved.
Old March 10, 2011, 04:53 PM   #6
Wasper

The Hopkins & Allen Junior No. 922 rifle was made from 1890 - 1915. It was chambered in .22 Long Rifle.