The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2011, 07:21 PM   #1
Yellowfin

Light loading a .264 Mag

My buddy Jim brought up something interesting the other day. He runs a .264-06 for 1000 yard shooting and gets REALLY nice results with it. I'm interested in getting into precision shooting at some point and have a really nice .264 Winchester that I love and would love to shoot more if I could. I currently don't shoot it much at all because it's a pre-64 M70 family heirloom and I don't want to wear it out which I'm told running lots of ammo through would do in quick order, which makes me very sad. So I had a thought creep into my mind: could I run light loads in it, like say to .30-06 levels, which would give it a lot more normal useful life with the original barrel? Would this potentially yield good results and save me the expense of having to get a whole new rifle when I have one I'd rather use instead if I could?
Old March 6, 2011, 08:56 PM   #2
crowbeaner

The man that taught me how to cast and reload (now deceased) had a pre-64 M70 in 264WM that his son-in-law used as a rice paddy rifle in "Nam. He glass bedded the action, installed a good trigger, and lapped the muzzle crown. He also shot a buck with it as I watched at about 120 yards with a 120 grain handload. The deer was DRT and the bullet blew a 6 inch hole in the off side, with bloodshot meat all the way back into the hindquarters.
I suggest that you use a 140 grain Hornady Interlock for deer and antelope. It will satisfy your thirst for power and give great accuracy in your Winny. It also flat hammers anything it hits and won't tear up as much of the eating portion as say a Sierra or Speer.
Old March 6, 2011, 09:13 PM   #3
Doyle

Standard velocity for a .260 (which uses the same bullet as a .264WM) with a 140grn bullet is about 2750fps. It is a very mild and pleasant shooting round. Standard velocity for that same bullet out of a .264WM is 3030fps. If you handloaded it down to about 2800 - 2900 fps, you would be out performing a .260 but yet be still pleasant to shoot and safer for your barrel.
Old March 6, 2011, 09:40 PM   #4
GeauxTide

I've gotten the best accuracy and velocity with H-4831 in my 6.5-06, pushing 140 Hornadys. Think of medium burn powders like RL-15, 4064, or Varget to get the 2700-2800fps with moderate pressures.