The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 19, 2004, 07:26 PM   #1
jekla

When can someone be considered a "decent" shot?

what does one need to be capable of doing with his pistol before he can be called a "decent" shot?
Old July 19, 2004, 10:28 PM   #2
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

It depends on what your definition of "decent" is...

de·cent (adj.) Meeting accepted standards; adequate.

Why would one aspire to mere adequacy?

I could make the case that if a person doesn't have a Negligent Discharge (ND) while shooting, he's a decent shot.

Another could argue that more than half his shots would have to be hits to be decent.

Still another may only accept hitting the target with *every* shot as decent.
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old July 19, 2004, 11:39 PM   #3
Ben Swenson

If they shoot as well as me, they're a decent shot.
If they shoot better than me, they're a low-down dirty scoundrel who probably cheated.

Old July 20, 2004, 06:01 AM   #4
jekla

dececnt shot- as in putting on target a specific number of shots and measure of the grouping of the hits.

like is a person capable of hitting a 4" ten ring at 15 yards with a 5shot string with group of no more than 2" grouping ,can he be called a "decent" shot? also factor in the time he takes to pull off those 5rds.

forgive the wordings having a hard time trying to find correct terms.
Old July 20, 2004, 07:54 AM   #5
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekla
forgive the wordings having a hard time trying to find correct terms.
That's quite all right! I'm just trying to be sure that we're discussing the same thing.

I would say that your example would be of someone who is better than just a decent shot, if he is using a pistol. If he is using a scoped rifle, he's probably not.

If a person carries a gun for self defense, and can't even draw from concealment when under stress, then being an expert shot isn't worth anything.

At the very least, I think you have to be proficient in every aspect of shooting except safety. In safety, EVERYONE needs to be an expert.
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old July 20, 2004, 09:10 AM   #6
Bandit01

When the SOB that tried to rob me is lying down on his back and there are 3 golf ball size holes in his chest.
Old July 20, 2004, 06:23 PM   #7
Double Naught Spy

When is one a decent shot?

It is when one is able to consistently hit intended targets. This is a statement loaded with implied levels of relativity. One can be a decent shot with a pistol at 20 yards on a silhouette and a poor shot on the same target with the same gun at 100 yards.
Old July 21, 2004, 01:23 PM   #8
38SnubFan

Depends on personal needs I guess

This is how I practice with my .38 "snubby":

B-27 silouhette target
7 yds. distance
20 rounds per target

I use the standard scoring system listed for the B-27 target: 5 points for 8, 9, 10, and X rings; 4 points for 7 ring; 3 points for anything else on the silouhette. Maximum score possible is 100.

I try to keep the shots repetitive, allowing no more time between shots than it takes me to bring my gun level from recoil and place my front sight in line with the target (maximum 1 to 1.5 seconds).

I just went out to the local range yesterday, scoring a 94 on my first drill and a 99 on my second drill.

I received many compliments from people there, younger and older alike, including a US Marines Sgt. and a US Army Lt.

I guess according to their standards I'm a good shot, but I'm curious to try a defensive pistol range (if I can find one locally) that allows more realistic scenarios, and see how I really hold out there.

Sincerely,
Matthew Webb
Franklintown, PA

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -A token of appreciation for the good cops.

"Good cheer and steady aim are always fashionable."

"Will...if need be!"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΑΛΒΕ!
Old July 22, 2004, 11:49 AM   #9
Arc Angel

Quote:
dececnt shot- as in putting on target a specific number of shots and measure of the grouping of the hits.

like is a person capable of hitting a 4" ten ring at 15 yards with a 5shot string with group of no more than 2" grouping ,can he be called a "decent" shot? also factor in the time he takes to pull off those 5rds.
How about; 'When all of your opponents are dead!' Seriously though, as has already been pointed out, this is a highly relative question. What can be done with a 38 special is not necessarily the same thing that can be done with a 357 magnum. What can be done shooting reloads is, again, not necessarily the same as shooting full power loads.

In order to be a decent shot, you need to have: the right weapon, the right ammunition, the right experience, and the proper mental attitude. Lacking any of these critical elements quickly turns you into a, 'gun owner' - Something none of us, really, wants to be!
Old July 22, 2004, 12:17 PM   #10
pax

After talking about distances and gun types, don't forget to consider time frames, consistency, and stress levels.

Getting A-zones on an IPSC target at 7 yards is nothing to brag about.

But that same feat is durn good if you're talking hitting three targets in a row, in under 3.5 seconds, drawing from concealment and doing it consistently on demand, under stress.

Someone who could do that is a decent shot in the defensive-handgun world -- but plunk them into a slowfire or bullseye competition and see what happens.

pax

I've interviewed a lot of people after gunfights, both police and private citizens. Not one has ever said to me, "You know, I wish I hadn't shot quite so well." -- Tom Givens
Old July 22, 2004, 12:23 PM   #11
Sleuth

If you are looking for a more qualitative measure, I suggest shooting a variety of qualification courses from various agencies. This week, for example, I found the USMC SOCOM pistol & rifle courses. They showed me certain particular elements that I need to work on. They are not absolute measures, but they do set times, distances, and practical problems to be solved.

I can still max my old agency course, so differeing courses test differing skills.

I also shoot IPSC to test my development.

But, this is a journey, not a destination.