The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 16, 2002, 09:44 PM   #1
OkieCruffler

Maybe its a woman thing

Been having trouble with Rattlesnakes wandering around and since my attempts at loading .357 shot shells have been rather disappointing, I dug my old Sears and Roebuck singleshot .410 out of the hall closet and paid $9.00 for a box of Winchester 6 shot. I took The Wife out to show her how the thing worked, and she asked to shoot at some clays. I tried to explain that the .410 was more of an "Expert" gun when it came to shooting clays. This only brought out The Look from The Wife. Now after much practice with her Ithica 16gauge she still only manages to hit about 1 in 10, but I still have to humor her. So I break out the thrower and a stack of clays and she proceeds to bust 12 out of 25. SO now I have to go buy more of those god awfully expensive shells, and The Wife is talking about using the gun money for a .410 pump. I don't know how I keep getting into these messes.
Old September 16, 2002, 11:15 PM   #2
Preacherman

Hi, Okiecruffler. Be careful, now - she might see one of those 4-round .410 revolvers on the Web, or in a print advertisement, and want one to go with the new pump-gun! Next thing you know, it'll be a 6-shot 37mm. grenade-launcher revolver...
Old September 17, 2002, 05:11 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Okie, maybe one of those 28 gauge 870 Expresses w/ fitted stock will float her boat.More effective than a 410, miniscule kick.

Also, reconcile yourself to the idea that the Gun Fund may be for her for a while. Believe me, there's worse things...
Old September 18, 2002, 09:35 PM   #4
Ron L

I think you're lucky the only thing you got was "the look".

Detroit Area Chapter
Terre-Haute Torque & Recoil Society
"If it rolls, floats, or shoots, runs on gunpowder or gasoline, goes fast, shoots a big bullet, or makes lots of noise thus producing torque and recoil - it's cool."