The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 22, 2021, 02:45 PM   #1
Rhodester

GSG 1911-22 problems, need help

I have a GSG 1911-22 that shoots great with CCI Mini mags. I read that the plastic guide rods tend to break. So, I purchased the “Ultimate Package” from ZR tactical to help improve the accuracy and dependability of the pistol. The parts included a full length guide rod made of stainless steel, a slide alignment cone, bushing, guide rod plug and new guide rod spring.

After installing the parts I went to the outdoor range and this is when the problems began.

When I racked the slide to chamber the first round everything appeared fine. When I pulled the trigger the gun went bang as expected. The slide cycled, the empty casing ejected and the next round was chambered. Then when I pulled a trigger the hammer fell forward and all there was was a click. After thumb cocking the hammer I pulled the trigger again and bang as expected. Once again the slide cycled ejecting the old casing and chambering the next round and the hammer again is in the fully cocked position. When I pulled the trigger again the hammer fell forward and click. I thumb cocked the hammer again pulled the trigger and bang as expected. The same sequence happened on every round.

After getting home from the range I replaced all the old parts. I went back to the range and again shot CCI Mini mags very consistently with no problems.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Denny
Old March 22, 2021, 03:32 PM   #2
ballardw

Sounds like a classic case of the spring is not strong enough to completely seat the round.
Do you see a very slight imprint from the firing pin on the rim of the case before re-cock and fire? The first impact could be seating the case the rest of the way and the second trigger pull now has the rim supported enough to set off the priming compound.

Are this the same Mini-mags that you had been using or different ammo? Different ammo may not have as much "oomph" to compress the spring so there isn't as much energy to put everything back in battery correctly. Or the rounds might just be tight in the chamber.
Old March 22, 2021, 04:42 PM   #3
RickB

If the new parts can be installed individually, try swapping them in one at a time.
Old March 22, 2021, 09:37 PM   #4
AzShooter

I had the same problem when I bought the kit from Tandemkross. I sent it back and got a refund.

I bought a new setup form CWA and it works 100%.
Old March 23, 2021, 07:34 AM   #5
Rhodester

Thanks for the replies. Yes, ballardw, there is a slight indentation on the chambered round after the first strike so maybe it is a spring issue. I will contact ZR Tactical and see what they say. Perhaps returning the kit is the best option.
Old March 23, 2021, 10:21 AM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Have you tried running the kit with the original recoil spring?
Jeepaholic
Old March 23, 2021, 11:21 AM   #7
Don P

^^^^Bingo^^^^^^
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 23, 2021, 09:08 PM   #8
Shadow9mm

I have been guilty of this on several occasions. trying to mod a gun that was working fine. Personally, I would just buy some extra factory plastic guide rods.....
Old March 24, 2021, 09:49 AM   #9
Carriertxv

I tried the kit as well when I first got mine. It worked but not what I expected. Put factory parts back in and that was over 15,000 plus rounds ago. I’ve lost count a long time ago and could be much higher as it gets shot by others. The only thing that has broken in mine was the firing pin and I changed recoil spring once The guide rod has never broken in mine. I really suggest buying a GSG parts kit.
It has been a very reliable 22 pistol. The slide lock notch started to peen, wear or whatever you call it but got so far then stopped. I have always ran this gun wet and after initial break in with a 1000 or so rounds of mini mags it will shoot everything I’ve tried in it.