The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 27, 2017, 09:53 PM   #1
DavidABQ

Favorite Die Manufacturer?

I am just getting into reloading. I have a RCBS Rockchucker beginners kit and I need to start acquiring some reloading dies.

Any particular brand to buy or to stay away from?
Old April 27, 2017, 10:33 PM   #2
tangolima

Lee has good value. I used them a lot when I first started. But not anymore. I like hornady better. After their free bullet rebate, it is actually better value than Lee.

-TL
Old April 27, 2017, 10:55 PM   #3
disseminator

I have RCBS Carbide Pistol Dies, Redding Premium Rifle Dies, and recently picked up a set of Lyman Carbide Pistol Dies and so far I really like them.

The RCBS are my least favorite of the three but are widely available.

The different manufacturers all seem to have their pro and cons. They all will get the job done, and if you start with the less expensive dies now, you can get nicer ones later if you want.
Old April 27, 2017, 11:15 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Your title and question don't necessarily align. But...

My favorite major brand is probably Redding. I can't really quantify why other than never having a problem with a die, unless I caused it, and their dies always having a superior finish inside and out.

Brands to stay away from?
Lee.
They don't believe in quality control. Instead, they favor the Chinese mass production approach of, "sell everything that comes off the line, and make the customer pay for replacement if it's out of spec."
Lee reloading dies I have owned: ...Just shy of 50.
Lee reloading dies I have been satisfied with and worked as intended: 5. (And I had to modify one of them.)

If you take a look at what I actually own and use, you'll see primarily RCBS and Hornady, followed by Redding, backed up with Lyman specialty dies, with CH-4D and a little bit of Lee, Forster, Pacific, and Bair mixed in. (Pacific and Bair being "vintage" and no longer on the market ... but what evolved into Hornady dies.)
Old April 27, 2017, 11:17 PM   #5
Stats Shooter

It depends. If you are new, some of what I'm about to say may not mean much but if you are curious you can look it up.

As far as dies, Redding, RCBS, and Forster make quality dies and have great customer service. I personally use different brands for different purposes. In 2 die sets I use RCBS because their expander ball type FL dies have low run out for that die type and their seating dies have low run-out for that type of bullet seater.

For my precision seating dies with micrometer I use Forster Ultimate micrometer dies. They are easy to setup and they can handle VLD bullets without modification and they can also handle compressed loads which other brands cannot.

For my shoulder setback dies I use the Redding body die in one of my rifles now, but I have also used the Redding S type bushing die for the same purpose. Forster makes a good bushing bump die too.

For a neck sizing die, the Lee has zero run-out and it's cheaper than most others.

I run three rock chucker supreme presses for my precision loads so I can setup and do several operations without swapping dies.

Finally, to set your dies up use a set of feeler gauges.

Just make sure that whatever you choose to do, don't change dies after you develop a load. Always use the same die for each operation, not just the same brand but the exact same die.

Have fun and be safe
Old April 28, 2017, 06:12 AM   #6
DavidABQ

Thank you gentlemen for the information.
Old April 28, 2017, 08:45 AM   #7
stevelyn

Redding is my favorite. They tend to cost a little more, but they seem to be worth the extra cost.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old April 28, 2017, 09:28 AM   #8
bedlamite

For bottleneck dies, I like Redding or Forster. Hornady's sliding bullet seater seems like a good idea, but it leaves a ring on the bullets. I've had too many issues with RCBS decap pins over the years, and the finish on Lee is horrible.
Old April 28, 2017, 10:12 AM   #9
briandg

Lee will never happen again.

Lyman are acceptable, but still my last choice.

Rcbs equipment is what I buy almost exclusively, all of their equipment is precisely built and well designed.

The two sets of Redding dies that I own are the best I have.

The very last piece of Lee equipment I bought was .221 fireball dies, I didn't like them, but they were the only set that I could find. When I found Redding dies I replaced the Lee.
Old April 28, 2017, 12:58 PM   #10
condor bravo

I'll go along with the RCBS crowd for both rifle and handgun, having at least 30 or more with a splattering of others. I recall having to replace one RCBS sizer however with a Redding. Have some Lees handgun dies which are fine it seems but don't care about the lock rings either, having replaced about all of them with the real thing. The handiest rings when tight spacing is an issue are the one inch rings from Dillon.
Old April 28, 2017, 03:41 PM   #11
tangolima

Lee's "floating lock ring" is one of the reasons I have moved to the other brands. I use the lock ring as a depth setting index. I can't do floating.

The expander collet is another reason. It can become a pita in the most inconvenient moment.

-TL
Old April 28, 2017, 03:41 PM   #12
std7mag

Unlike Franken, my go to dies are Lee.
Have never had an issue with any.

That being said, when i am forming i don't use Lee.
Found some old Pacific dies that i use for forming.
If i was buying new dies for forming, it would prob be Hornady.
Old April 28, 2017, 05:08 PM   #13
rg1

For major calibers I load such as .223 Rem, 30-06, 9MM, and 45 ACP, I have two sets for each. One set RCBS and the other Hornady. l use them both together. I like Hornady seater dies and the RCBS roll and taper crimp die. I would recommend either RCBS or Hornady dies. The couple Redding die sets I have are premium dies nicely machined. They are a little more expensive. If I could only pick one brand it would be RCBS. No Lee die sets.
Old April 28, 2017, 08:43 PM   #14
Reloadron

RCBS, Lyman, Redding, Hornady and or Lee as to basic dies they will get the job done. Then we can get into the "custom" or specialty "match" type dies with each manufacturer tryig to up one on the next manufacturer. As to basic dies? Each manufacturer has their good and bad points or features. One common feature of frequent discussion is the lock nut or lock ring. People may like a die but not like the lock ring. The solution here is since all new dies for common calibers are a 7/8-14 thread just about anyone's lock ring system will work with the next guys dies. A good number of people like the Lyman designed lock ring or the Hornady design, both are steel rather than aluminum like Lee. So you can buy lock rings in six packs reasonable enough on Amazon which are to your liking and will work with any other die.

Basic loading dies are relatively inexpensive, for example a RCBS Two Die Set for loading .308 Winchester runs about $35 RCBS 2-Die Set 307, 308 Winchester. However, if we want to get fancy we can get RCBS Competition 2-Die Set 308 Winchester which now has us up to $105.00. As I mentioned, just about every manufacturer makes a die and then they make a super duper magnificent die for more money, When starting out the average hand loader really only needs the basic rifle or handgun dies. Ask questions if the large numbers of loading dies gets confusing, like what are small base dies and why do I need them?

Me? I like RCBS but have many different brands and I confess I buy Hornady Lock Rings because I like them and buying six at a time they are not very expensive.

Ron

Ron
Old April 29, 2017, 11:41 AM   #15
briandg

The reason I always buy rcbs/redding is that they are, simply put, better. The price difference is so small that buying cheaper equipment makes no difference and saves no significant money.
Old April 29, 2017, 08:04 PM   #16
DavidABQ

Thank you everyone. I went down today and picked up a set of
RCBS dies. I also picked up the shell holder as well. I guess I need to start accumulate the components. I have saved the factory brass I have been shooting. I guess primers are next.

Last edited by DavidABQ; April 30, 2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old April 29, 2017, 09:28 PM   #17
RC20

Sizer does not seem to make much difference.

I have some of Lee, Forster, RCBS, have to look if more.

I like the Forster seater, RCBS seems good as well, not sure which is better if either (the completion, sleeve one).

Lee has been fine for pistol, I don't have any in rifle.

I like the Lyman M die, nice solid good quality.

I like the Lee rings, I don't get others issues, they set the same each time and are easy to get on and off as I mostly use a single press.

Just used the last one I had, my dies all get that Lee ring when I get them.

Have to buy another 10 or so.
Old April 29, 2017, 10:06 PM   #18
50 shooter

As for lock rings, I prefer Hornady's as they're a split ring design, fast and easy to use. The reason people like them over others is the fact that they don't tighten into the threads of the dies and Hornady's provide more clamping force.

As was said, all dies will get the job done, some are just made better/tighter tolerances. The only time I've bought Lee was because I couldn't get or find other companies dies available at when I needed them. After finding the others I sold the Lee dies off, like I said, they get the job done but have always felt cheap.

Nowadays I look for Redding dies first, if I can't find them then I look for RCBS or Hornady. CH4D makes some nice dies and tools that other companies don't, for large caliber dies they're hard to beat. Their 50BMG dies are the best on the market, they got the rights to manufacture the Rock Crusher press that will load up to 20mm. If you're looking for a specialty die check them out, if they don't have it, chances are they can make you one.

If you buy a Dillon press of any type, buy their dies and equipment. They're designed to work together extremely well, the same can't be said when you mix other companies equipment with theirs. Being that you're just starting out a good single stage press is the easiest way to go. If you step up to a progressive in the future, keep the single stage for load development, just an easier way to do it. Then you can transfer the load to the progressive and knock out a bigger lot of ammo. Sorry for getting a little off topic at the end.
No time for rearranging.
Old April 30, 2017, 08:22 AM   #19
Reloadron

Quote:
Thank you everyonr. I went down today and picked up a set of
RCBS dies. I also picked up the shell holder as well. I guess I need to start accumulate the components. I have saved the factory brass I have been shooting. I guess primers are next.
As a side note there is nothing more disheartening to the new loader than to have his mail order dies arrive and discover he has no shell holder. Some manufacturers, using Lee for example include a shell holder with many of their dies while others do not. This is where it is wise for the new hand loader to invest in a basic shell holder set. The sets cover all the popular sizes and you won't get caught for want of a shell holder.

Ron
Old April 30, 2017, 08:30 AM   #20
mikejonestkd

The majority of my handgun dies are Lee carbide 4 die sets. I have not had any issues with them at all.
Most of my rifle dies are Redding, most of them are the competition sets.
Old April 30, 2017, 09:17 AM   #21
The Kingfish

I use Redding dies and I love them, very high quality.

But when it comes to the bullet seating dies I prefer RCBS because they give you two different seating stems. One for round nose bullets and one for flat point bullets.
Redding deforms anything with a round nose because they give you a single shaped seating stem for both shapes. My only complaint.
Old April 30, 2017, 09:26 AM   #22
Stats Shooter

A word of advice:

Use the same brand of shell holder as your priming device and other equipment. The deck heights and bases for shell holders from different brands can vary a little.

I have a RCBS hand priming tool (and a bench mounted one). But the Lee shell holder set results in high primers. However if I use RCBS shell holders it seats them 0.006-0.0085" below flush... . Perfect
Old April 30, 2017, 01:09 PM   #23
FrankenMauser

My random little blurb on standard shell holders (not applicable to shell plates):

RCBS are pretty decent and consistent.
Redding are also good.
Hornady shell holders are the most consistent that I have measured (other than Redding's competition shell holders).
Lyman, Forster, etc. are usually pretty decent, but I don't own and haven't measured very many.

Lee shell holders are inconsistent and sloppy. I avoid them like the plague, unless I have a specific purpose in mind. (Something where I'm 'drawing outside the lines'.)

And, as Mississippi mentioned, it's best to match shell holders to the brand of priming tool being used.
Though deck height isn't a huge deal in most cases, the design of the underside of the shell holder often is.
Old April 30, 2017, 08:08 PM   #24
jimkim

My favorites are old Pacific Durachrome/Bair, Redding, Forster, or CH4D dies. I also like Lee dies. My least favorite are RCBS and Hornady.
Old April 30, 2017, 08:51 PM   #25
William T. Watts

RCBS has never disappointed me!!

My first die purchase was RCBS, if a problem occurs their customer service is first class!! I've never considered any other brand name in the the 40+ years I've loaded my own ammunition.. William