The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 2, 2014, 11:37 PM   #1
Jabhill

6.5 Carcano. Looking for info

My dad got a 6.5 Carcano a few years ago when his dad passed. Shortly before my dad passed, he handed it down to me. I figured I would come ask the experts so I know exactly what I got. The stock doesn't have a serial # on the end of it, since it was sanded down before adding the pad, but here are pics of the #s it does have still on it.

Old February 4, 2014, 07:14 PM   #2
Roughedge

Not much to tell, I have one that I redone and I redone one for a customer. The bore is .268 and if you buy factory rounds they are loaded with .264 bullets so you will do better reloading for it. They say it was the gun that killed Kennedy but it depends on what you belive. You may be able to get the rear sight from Gunparts corp. or jack first. It easy to dissassemble and paint if you want to redo it. I keep mine in my shop incase a coyote strolls by. Do you have the clips that go in it? The rounds wont stay in without it, you can get that a gunparts too.
Old February 4, 2014, 07:42 PM   #3
Jabhill

What you see is what I have. Thanks for the heads up on gunparts. I've never gotten into the repair/fixing up side of firearms, so I wasn't sure where to look for parts at.
Could you tell me what year this is, or if there is a place I can run the serial number for more info? The bit of research and forum reading I've been doing, suggests that this was manufactured in 1918 because of the number in pic 3, and because it has a serial number. To me it doesn't seem to be that old, especially the stock, but I just don't know.
Old February 4, 2014, 08:55 PM   #4
Jabhill

I finally found a website with good info.
http://personal.stevens.edu/~gliberat/carcano/

I'm still not sure that the stock is original, but I do know that the barrel was manufactured at Roma in 1918.
Old February 6, 2014, 02:29 PM   #5
tahunua001

yep, it's a carcano that had the stock cut down, the buttplate removed with a pad and the bolt bent down. not really collectable before but should hold some sentimental value since it's belonged to 3 generations of Jabhills.

the stock is original but not in original condition. it originally ran most of the length of the barrel and ended eith a steel cap but was cut down to lower weight as a hunting rifle. the front sling swivel was added but the rear looks like it should be original(not too sure though).
Old February 7, 2014, 07:26 PM   #6
Jabhill

Thanks for the info Tahunua. I'm not so worried about collectability, I don't plan on selling it. I just wanted a better idea of what I had. Now to find a rear sight, a clip, and some ammo to see if it still works well.

What part of Idaho you in? I'm just east of Boise in Mtn Home.
Old February 7, 2014, 11:22 PM   #7
tahunua001

south of Lewiston near Lapwai. gun parts corp is a really good source for parts for military surplus rifles. so far they've had every part I've ever looked for including enbloc clips, I would look there. last year they redesigned their website which kindof make it a pain in the rear to navigate through, but they are a good outfit. sometimes they even get original issue parts in decent condition.