The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 9, 2013, 06:49 PM   #51
Joe_Pike

Well, the Kool-Aid has been consumed.

I made the normal gun shop rounds today just to look a little and BS a little with the shop folks. One of the shops had a 19 for $499 while the others were 10%+ higher. I waited for quite a while for someone to get loose so I could handle the one for $499 but they were very busy, so, I left to do some more running around.

For some reason I decided to drop back by later in the afternoon and again they were very busy. One of the guys that I used to buy from all of the time was on the floor helping another customer, so, I decided to wait for him since he's not out on the floor as often anymore due to other responsibilities and I wanted to say hello.

I asked him to show me the 19 and he told me that he had two of them personally and liked them a lot. He also said that if I was interested in a 19 that he had a used one in the back that got traded in about a week or so ago. He told me a gentleman about 80 years old traded it in and has probably traded 25 Glocks with them over the years. I mentioned a guys name and asked if that was him and he said it was indeed.

This older gentleman will buy a gun and take it home, break it down and clean it. Then he may or may not shoot it. After a while he will trade it in for something different. He does this a lot and with different shops.

Anyway, he brought the gun out and it looks like it is brand new. If it has been shot I sure can't tell. I ask him how much and he said $400. I couldn't say yes fast enough. Now I know for sure that if I don't like it I can easily recover the purchase price.

It looks like I have joined The Dark Side.
Old July 9, 2013, 06:59 PM   #52
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
It looks like I have joined The Dark Side.
Excellent Now you'll learn about the cookies we have here!
Old July 9, 2013, 07:27 PM   #53
allaroundhunter

Re: Talk Me Into A Glock 19

Jeez! Used Glocks in my area (not even "like new" condition) are going for $450+....

You're gonna love that gun
Old July 9, 2013, 07:28 PM   #54
Spats McGee
Staff

Congratulations on joining the Dark Side, and doing so cheaply. Well done! We eagerly await your range report.
Old July 9, 2013, 07:44 PM   #55
Garycw

Talk Me Into A Glock 19

Good deal. Should have no problem recovering your money and then some later. Have fun
Old July 9, 2013, 07:45 PM   #56
Tactical Jackalope

Talk Me Into A Glock 19

Yes!!! I'm happy you joined the dark side and yes, we do have cookies here. Can't wait till you shoot it and let us know how it went for you. We expect a range report with pics.

Congrats man. Great deal.
Old July 9, 2013, 08:25 PM   #57
SHE3PDOG

That's a great price for a gun in the condition you described. You'll probably end up liking that gun a lot.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old July 9, 2013, 09:31 PM   #58
baddarryl

Quote:
Quote:
They're plastic, ugly and soulless.
That isn't a huge deal to me. Heck My ex-wife was all of those things and I still married her for some reason.
Oh my God, that one did make me spit my coffee out. Too F_N funny!

I sold a 26 and a 17 and split the difference with the 19. The 26 wasn't pocket able. As soon as I had a pocket gun I wanted to step up. The 17 I used for IDPA, but was a little big for me to carry comfortably so I split the difference with the idea of adding a 34 for IDPA. Haven't done that yet. My 19 is my EDC, never jams, and is accurate enough for IDPA. Maybe not as accurate as my 17, but I haven't actually tested that. Highly recommend.
Old July 9, 2013, 09:52 PM   #59
Mezzanine

Well, do you like striker fired pistols? Polymer frames? Grooved finger grips? Blade safety trigger? Dislike 3 dot sights and prefer a U and dot? Answer yes to 4 of 5 and glock is for you. You dont want to be talked into buying a firearm, you have to let the firearm talk to you.
Old July 9, 2013, 09:57 PM   #60
erob3

Nope, won't do it...... I will not talk you into a Glock 9mm. Look into a CZ P01 Compact -- Now that's a pistol to try and not buy.
Old July 9, 2013, 10:07 PM   #61
Dondor

You have been issued 10 demerits for not posting pic of said gun.
Old July 9, 2013, 11:08 PM   #62

Although I'm not a Glock fan, the used G19 at $400 was a good buy. If it doesn't work out, you should be able to sell it for at least $450 and move on to something else. If it does work out, it was a great buy.
Old July 10, 2013, 06:22 PM   #63
Joe_Pike

After looking it over a bit closer, I can see that it hasd never been fired except at the factory.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg G19 001.jpg (163.5 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg G19 004.jpg (93.6 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg G19 002.jpg (75.0 KB, 144 views)
Old July 10, 2013, 06:30 PM   #64
Spats McGee
Staff

You done good!
Old July 10, 2013, 10:31 PM   #65
Tactical Jackalope

Talk Me Into A Glock 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee View Post
You done good!
Yup!

That's brand new!! Congrats again Joe!

Here's mine right now. On my nightstand.

Old July 12, 2013, 05:15 PM   #66
fire4606

Congrats on the 19!!

@57K.... The ruger's have the best triggers of any polymer framed pistol??? Really?? Which pistols did you compare them too?
Old July 12, 2013, 07:03 PM   #67
EveryCaliber

OP asked about overcoming grip angle...

Before I bought my first Glock (which just so happened to be a 19), I had a friend who tried to talk me out of it because of the "weird" grip angle. The 19 seemed like a wise purchase for many reasons, and I liked it, so I bought it anyway. I have shot many more brands and types of firearms since then. I honestly NEVER notice the difference in grip angle unless I'm switching back and forth between various other guns while at the range. Whenever I switch back to the Glock, I do notice a slight differenence, but within moments, the Glock is comfortable as ever. Overall, I think people over-exaggerate how dramatic the angle is. From personal experience, it's usually the 1911 fanboys who seem to have the biggest problem with it. Go figure.
Old July 12, 2013, 10:39 PM   #68

Quote:
@57K.... The ruger's have the best triggers of any polymer framed pistol??? Really?? Which pistols did you compare them too?
Really, and I've shot 'em all and owned most of them. All that's needed is around 300 rounds from break-in and the Ruger will have a factory trigger that the Glock, XD/XDm or M&P can't touch until they're modified.
Old July 13, 2013, 12:13 AM   #69
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Really, and I've shot 'em all and owned most of them.
I'd say that the Beretta PX4, STI GP100 and some of the H&K polymer-framed pistols have better triggers than the Ruger polymer-framed pistols I've tried. In fact, I'd even rank some of the Kahr triggers as being a little better.
Old July 13, 2013, 12:15 AM   #70
TunnelRat

Quote:
I'd say that the Beretta PX4, STI GP100 and some of the H&K polymer-framed pistols have better triggers than the Ruger polymer-framed pistols I've tried.
But some of the pistols you mentioned are not striker fired "safe-action" pistols. I think 57K meant that of that type of pistol he believed the Ruger SR series had the best trigger.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 13, 2013, 12:26 AM   #71
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
But some of the pistols you mentioned are not striker fired "safe-action" pistols.
That's correct, in fact, with the exception of the Kahrs, all of the guns I mentioned are not striker pistols.
Quote:
I think 57K meant that of that type of pistol he believed the Ruger SR series had the best trigger.
That could be the case. However, even if the statement was intended to apply only to striker-fired polymer pistols, I would still disagree--in my experience the Kahr polymer-framed pistols have better triggers than the SR series Rugers.
Old July 13, 2013, 11:35 AM   #72
fire4606

Yeh I was just curious which pistols he is comparing too as I've shot glocks, modded glocks,m&ps and modded m&ps, xd's, xdm's, ruger's, and none of them held a candle to a walther ppq.

It's all opinion though also, so for what it's worth
Old July 13, 2013, 11:39 AM   #73
Model12Win

I love my Glock 19 Gen 4. Man it's ate everything I have ever thrown into it, from light cheap steel 115 grain Wolf to heavy Underwood 147 +P+ gold dots!!! I think it is also the perfect size for a 9x19mm pistol. I can still get away with concealing it a 5' 7" 170 lbs. yet it is still plenty big to be effective and easy to shoot. A real winner in my book!
Old July 13, 2013, 01:47 PM   #74
RC20

Well I am sorry you went to the dark side. Sounds like a fine deal (but then all dealings with the dark side sound good at first!)

If you like glocks which I do not and would have not tried to convince you as you were already convinced.

I don't think I would use the term iconic for a glock.

Put it side by side with an MP, XDM or a host of others and you could not gell them apart like you can from the profile of an M16, AK etc.

low cost mass produced with no residual value.

Ok, take care, be sure to use a holster and don't get glock let or glock butt

I sure do not feel like my collection suffers from not having one.
Old July 13, 2013, 03:56 PM   #75
TunnelRat

Quote:
I don't think I would use the term iconic for a glock.
You wouldn't call one of the highest selling handguns of all time that lead to a notable transformation in terms of what type of handguns competing companies were producing iconic? Heck, people that don't even know how to hold a pistol will recognize the word Glock. Let's not let personal taste turn into ignorance.

Quote:
Put it side by side with an MP, XDM or a host of others and you could not gell them apart like you can from the profile of an M16, AK etc.
If you know what you're looking at, yea you actually can. Comparing the profile of pistols to the profile of rifles is a bit one-sided.

Quote:
low cost mass produced with no residual value.
That may be, yet the funny part is you can always find a buyer for a used Glock and get quite a bit of your money back on sale or trade, certainly no less than most production pistols.

Quote:
Ok, take care, be sure to use a holster and don't get glock let or glock butt
I use a holster for every pistol. I think anyone that doesn't use a holster for a pistol is an idiot.

Quote:
I sure do not feel like my collection suffers from not having one.
Cool. Seeing as how this was about whether or not the Glock 19 was good for the OP, I fail to see how that is important. I don't think anyone is demanding you buy one.
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; July 13, 2013 at 08:32 PM.
Closed Thread