The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 29, 2013, 11:50 AM   #1
.50cal packer

32-20 revolver suggestions?

I'm interested in the 32-20 cartridge because of the capabilities of them firing from the nagant revolver. I reload, so it gives me an excuse for buying such a critter for the purpose of having two guns that can shoot the cartridge. I'm aware of the fact that it was a rifle cartridge and the made revolvers that could handle them. I'm not looking for a lever action, as it doesn't fit into what I'm dealing with at the moment. So I'm wanting a 32-20 revolver that fits into the C&R category. What are some suggestions that wont break the bank? I don't mind if they are beat up or missing some pieces. Who here doesnt mind working on their pieces of history. But I'm trying to stay around $200-$250 if possible. Any advice is welcome, as I know that around that price range it may not be possible. Thanks.
IT SEEMS TO ME, LIKE ALL THESE NEW GUYS THINK...
Old May 29, 2013, 12:41 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Both S&W and Colt made DA revolvers in .32-20, and it was a fairly popular caliber in the Colt SAA, though the guns are a bit heavy. Except for the SAA, $200-250 would be very possible if you are willing, as you say, to take a gun in less than top condition.

Be careful, though, if buying a revolver in .32-20. Many of the cheap, cast iron Spanish revolvers imported in the 1920's and 1930's were made in .32-20 and they burst often enough that ammo makers weakened their .32-20 loads. giving us the "rifle" ammo and "revolver" ammo. So if it looks like an S&W make sure it is an S&W before buying.

Jim
Old May 29, 2013, 01:00 PM   #3
jag2

Probably your best bet would be a Colt Army Special, you won't be paying extra for the collector aspect, but its still a Colt. It may not be pretty in that price range but if locks up okay then your'e good to go. I've got 4 revolvers and 4 rifles in 32-20, easy to load so I make a softer round for the pistols and stronger for the rifles. Fun round.
Old May 29, 2013, 02:04 PM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

this would give you an idea what is available, & what they are going for...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Revolvers/B...Keywords=32-20
Old May 29, 2013, 02:32 PM   #5
.50cal packer

Thanks for the info. I knew the Colts SAA are around $1300 plus. I liked the look of the Colt New Army revolvers. But even they are out of my price range at the moment. Jim, thanks for the heads up about the Spanish revolvers. Looked at some online, and couldn't find out much about them, or finding replacement parts. So decided against it. Glad I did now. I guess I'll have to save up some more. I didn't think that it was such of a desirable caliber, because any gun that shoots them, isn't for the light walleted. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old May 29, 2013, 03:48 PM   #6
Kev

Uberti of Italy makes a SAA in 32-20

http://www.gunsamerica.com/995105147..._32_20_WCF.htm

Edit. Just re read your opening post and saw your budget. May be able to find one of the Ubertis used are banged up?

Last edited by Kev; May 29, 2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old May 29, 2013, 09:57 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've got both a Smith & Wesson and a Colt Police Positive Special in .32-20.

Lots and lots of fun to shoot.

Of the two, the Colt is a bit smaller and lighter; the Smith is a K frame, same size as the modern Model 10.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:01 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

MMMMmmmmmm....

Must not bid, must not bid...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...=343990520#PIC

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:35 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Don't buy a Colt New Army (or New Navy). Those guns are old, often get out of whack if not already broken, and there is no parts supply. The newer guns, like the Colt Army Special and the S&W .32-20 Hand Ejector are less likely to give problems and there are some parts available.

Jim
Old May 30, 2013, 06:38 AM   #10
.50cal packer

Jim, Once again, thank you for the advice on the New Army. Was seriously looking into them. Oddly enough, most of them say, Fires good, loose lock up... I'll keep an eye on the Army special. Mike, I had looked at that gun for a while. It's not just posted on that site. The Other "well known" gun site, has it listed as, an offer has been made on this item. It's said that for a week, They either didn't sell it and just haven't removed the said offer, or they did sell it, and didn't take it down yet. Thanks for all the advice guys. any and all are always welcome.
Old May 30, 2013, 09:37 AM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just FWIW, the S&W .32-20 HE is really the M&P chambered for the .32-20. S&W reserved the term "Military and Police" (at that time) for the .38 Special version. Other than caliber, the guns are identical and the .32-20 went thorough all the same improvements and upgrades as the .38 Special.

The M&P later became the Victory Model, and still later the Model 10.

Jim
Old May 30, 2013, 10:03 AM   #12
jag2

I did a quick look around, what is the other site you saw this listed? Keep in mind the Colt Police Positive is a slightly smaller frame than the Army Special so its a little small for someone with above average size hands. I think mine are average and I still have a hard time finding a comfortable grip. Mine is a 38 special and I don't shoot it near as well as the Army Special in the same caliber.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:19 AM   #13
.50cal packer

It was either Guns America or guns international.
Old June 2, 2013, 05:51 PM   #14
salvadore

I like my Colt OP, and it is very accurate with my reloads.

Old June 2, 2013, 07:15 PM   #15
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, the aforementioned Army Special became the Official Police - just a change of name.

Jim
Old June 3, 2013, 07:22 AM   #16
dogngun

I found one a few months ago after several years of interest in owning one. The sales clerk has mis labeled it as a ".32 Hand Ejector". Mine is a S&W .32-20 HE with a 5" barrel and very worn blue, but it is as tight as a new revolver and the bore is great. It was shipped in 1926 or so, and has very old and very real Mother of Pearl grips.

I'd recommend either a Colt* or Smith that shows enough wear to take it out of the collectable realm. Preferably a later - 1920 or after, because of the heat treating for more strength-and with a very good bore. Mine was about $325, and I did not hesitate for a second when I found it was really a .32-20 rather than a .32 Long.

It is a piece of art, very very fine workmanship.

* Older Colt revolvers are VERY finely made guns, but they tend to get loose after long use, and there are VERY FEW gunsmiths today who can work on them. Colt has not made similar revolvers for decades, and parts - and experienced repairmen - are very hard to come by.If you get a Colt, get a really tight one and treat it kindly...NOTE. Test Colt's side to side cylinder movement by pulling the trigger completely through and holding it in the back/fired position. That cylinder should have MINIMUM rotation at that point.

Test Smiths with the hammer locked back at full cock.

mark

Last edited by dogngun; June 3, 2013 at 07:29 AM.