The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 16, 2013, 11:19 AM   #26
JimDandy

What's the whatever in quotes?

No, I don't want a phone number so you can read my SSN to someone on the other line. I want a phone number so a bonded FFL can call it in, and do the ID specific detail work.

Neither my license nor my CPL have my SSN on it.
Old April 16, 2013, 04:46 PM   #27
Willie Sutton

^^

So let me get this straight. You want all private sales to go thru a FFL where you would need to pay a fee, never mind the time spent, rather than having an online system available to joe-blow the seller so he can take a minute to make sure you aren't on the "no guns for this guy" list before he hands over something that you found on Armslist? You prefer to need to go to an FFL rather than to allow a private seller to check you out in a minute, for free, from his smartphone?

Uhh.... "whatever" ....

Willie

Old April 16, 2013, 05:24 PM   #28
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDandy
I want a phone number so a bonded FFL can call it in, and do the ID specific detail work.
FFLs are bonded?

I've never heard that before. If they are bonded, what are they bonded for or against? Does theeir bond cover knowing a customer's social security number, or does it cover just things like selling defective guns or taking money and not providing product?
Old April 16, 2013, 05:27 PM   #29
csmsss

Somehow this got into the wrong thread. Weerd.
Old April 16, 2013, 05:37 PM   #30
Willie Sutton

The letter sent by the Senator included his vision of an internet enabled instant background check system available to the general public. Actually the system that he proposed would allow the BUYER to run a check on himself, and then print proof of this to be provided to a seller. This would alleviate privacy concerns, as expressed above, and enable seamless private sales without delay. It's actually not a bad idea. In fact it's likely a darned good one. I missed the part about the BUYER running the check on himself when first responding.

FFL's aren't bonded for anything.

Willie

Last edited by Evan Thomas; April 16, 2013 at 05:41 PM. Reason: remove reference to deleted post.
Old April 16, 2013, 05:53 PM   #31
csmsss

I think a lot of gunsmiths are bonded, and lots of gunsmiths are also FFL's - but the bonding is a function of the gunsmithing work and responsibilities.
Old April 16, 2013, 06:09 PM   #32
Willie Sutton

Most FFL's are not, and ALL gunsmiths who keep work overnight are FFL's.

Willie