The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 14, 2013, 06:06 PM   #1
IronRuger

Painting Sights

What paints work best on sights. I just want something to brighten the front sight on a couple guns? never painted any sights before and I am not sure which works best or if a bright paint color from home depot like rustoleum for metal would work?
Old March 14, 2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Gaerek

I use model paint.

There are some florescent paints you can use.

This is what I used on my LCR:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tes/tes...FShgMgodb24ATw

Do 2 or 3 base coats of white. Then 2 or 3 coats of the color. It will wear off eventually, usually a few months depending on use. If it does, just re-apply the paint.
Old March 14, 2013, 06:58 PM   #3
dayman

I've never done it myself, but I hear good things about nail polish.
Old March 14, 2013, 07:26 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

I have used nail polish in the past. You do need to put on a base of white polish first and let it dry before trying the colors. Bright floresent colors seem to work best. It is cheap to try it this way and if you don't like it removing the nail polish isn't that hard to do.
Old March 14, 2013, 07:32 PM   #5
lamarw

Then there is a non-radiactive luminous powder (called Newlite 2002) you can get from Timesavers.com. It comes in green, yellow or white. Here is a link to the White: http://timesavers.com/search.html?q=32150&go=Search Green is catalog # 32148 and yellow is # 32149. It would be interesting to see if it were similar to night sights.

I have never tried it. You basically add it to clear glue, mix and then apply. According to what I am reading, it features a strong light storing capacity and is generally used on clock and watch hands.
Old March 14, 2013, 09:44 PM   #6
Tactical Jackalope

Painting Sights

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayman View Post
I've never done it myself, but I hear good things about nail polish.
Old March 14, 2013, 10:25 PM   #7
915A

Re: Painting Sights

http://glow-on.com/index.html
Old March 14, 2013, 11:10 PM   #8
Onward Allusion

Another vote for glow paint.

http://glowinc.com/detail.aspx?ID=41

Just make sure you have a white base coat. This stuff glows a LONG time, especially when powered by a UV flashlight for few seconds. Let it sit in light for a bit and it will glow for almost a day.
Old March 15, 2013, 01:15 AM   #9
LED

IronRuger-

I don't like the DIY painted sights. Every single one I've seen, including but not limited to those of my own making, made the gun look worse.

I had better results from attaching a piece of fluorescent paper to the front sight. You will need a single hole puncher, the smallest there is, probably 1/32" or so. It is an inexpensive office tool. Self adhesive paper is easier to manipulate with a pair of small pickups. Using magnifying glasses helps to position the paper wad perfectly centered. A dab of gorilla glue, and you are set.
Old March 15, 2013, 02:53 AM   #10
Gaerek

Painting Sights

I think I need clarification now. Are you wanting to brighten up existing dot sights? Or do you have something like an LCR's black on black ramp front sight?

If its the first, I wouldn't paint. It just won't look good. Either replace the sights with something brighter or live with it. If its he second...follow my instructions above. It really helps.
Old March 15, 2013, 06:24 AM   #11
IronRuger

I have a bersa thunder 45 uc pro that has the older pro slide with the outline rear sight. I want to replace it but I am having trouble finding any rear sights that fit. I hate the outline look so I want to either black it out or replace it, If I cant replace I would like to try to brighten the front up a little which I can not replace either. The front is a pinned sight
Old March 15, 2013, 06:48 AM   #12
Misssissippi Dave

Flat black model paint will black out the rear sight. You may have to apply again in a year or so depending on use of the pistol. For a recessed dot on the front sight I find model paint applied with a tooth pick works best to brighten them up at a low cost.
Old March 15, 2013, 11:34 PM   #13
LED

that's easy. i thought you wanted some brightening. there is black touch up paint for guns, sold by the manufacturer of gunscrubber products. or just what mississippi dave wrote.
Old March 16, 2013, 11:51 AM   #14
Hammerhead

I like fingernail polish. If you get some where you don't want it or change your mind, it's very easy to remove even when dry.
It seems to resist gun cleaning solvents well.
I like fluorescent pink or blue for outdoor shooting.
It's just a little embarrassing to buy.
Old March 16, 2013, 12:02 PM   #15
KCampbell

Re: Painting Sights

Fingernail polish and apply with toothpick.
Old March 16, 2013, 12:44 PM   #16
PetahW

FWIW,prior to the introduction of the bright fiber-optic sights, I used Bright Sights High-Visibility gunsight paint, w/o any issues, for about 20 years.

http://www.brightsights.com/index.shtml

I still use the product on guns that FO sights are not available for.

The one thing I found, however, is that metal prep's critical - degrease the sight surface intended to apply the paint, and let it dry thoroughly before holstering/using.

YMMV, but I just clamp the gun in my bench vise so the painted area's level, and leave it there overnite to dry.

Old March 17, 2013, 01:57 PM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

You can paint sights just like any other metal. First, make sure the surface is completely free of all oil or solvents. Use (the right) alcohol, or other degreaser.

you may want to use a primer, and I would also recommend some masking tape.

I have used model paint (enamel, acrylic, etc.) with good results. Like any painted surface that gets moved, it won't be permanent (holster wear, bumped, etc.) but it will last a long time, usually. And its easy to reapply.

You might also consider a clear overcoat. Flat/matte would be the best, I think.

I have also used the Sharpie permanent marker (black) to blacken the sights of stainless pistols. Doesn't last forever, but works tolerably well, and reapplies in just a few seconds.

Nail polish also works, pretty well if you do your surface prep right. I don't use nail polish, because my wife doesn't wear any, and I just never seem to get to the beauty counter when I'm shopping......
Old March 17, 2013, 05:01 PM   #18
StrawDog

+1 for Bright Sights High-Visibility gunsight paint looks better than nail polish.

Painting is easy with a tooth pick and patients. Important to clean first with alcohol.
Old March 17, 2013, 09:37 PM   #19
7jinxed7

I use fishing lure paint myself. It's durable and available in very bright colors.
Old March 17, 2013, 11:25 PM   #20
Lamar Jr

Lure & Jig Paint

I have painted sights on a couple of pistols with lure & jig paint. A light coat or two of white, followed by two coats of green chartreuse. Makes a very visible and easy to find front sight. Use a very small brush for front sights or a toothpick to cover the dots in rear sights.