The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 2, 2013, 11:41 AM   #1
TheGoldenState

New Gun Problem

I just picked up another Smith & Wesson M&P……….this time in 9mm instead of .40

Perfect out of the box, no missfires, no feed issues, took all different kinds of ammo, dead accurate; I didn't even clean or oil before first shooting.

Then when it came time to strip and clean I noticed the problem.

The take down lever, which is pushed to the down position when the slide is locked back, to allow the trigger to be pulled (I know I can also push down the sear to avoid trigger pull) and slide to come off, does not stay down.

When I push it downward to it springs back up. I have to manually keep a finger on it to keep it down while simultaneously releasing the slide, pulling the trigger, and letting the slide come off.

On my .40, I push down the lever when I want to take it apart, and it stays down to allow me to complete takedown. No finger/constant pressure needed.

Whats the deal?

Last edited by TheGoldenState; February 2, 2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old February 2, 2013, 02:05 PM   #2
Bart Noir

IIRC the M&P has a lever inside the magazine well that you push down, while the slide is locked back, so that you don't have to pull the trigger to field strip the weapon.

That may only be the ones that have the magazine disconnect, but I'd like to hear from M&P owners about whether the trigger has to be pulled.

As to your problem, that does seem weird. Are you sure that you have the lever rotated all the way down until it rotates no farther?

Bart Noir
Old February 2, 2013, 02:55 PM   #3
h2otoo

Bart, you are correct about pushing down the lever (in the mag well) to disassemble, that is true for both the mag disconnect and the non disconnect.

Golden State, I just checked my 9 and the take down lever will only spring back if I do not rotate it down all the way. Once to full 6 O'Clock it locks down. I know my compact is the same, too.

Bob
Old February 2, 2013, 03:20 PM   #4
ShamrockArmory

The correct way to disassemble it is to use the sear disconnect lever in the mag well. If you read the manual, that's what the second purpose of the tool inside the grip. The first purpose being holding the backstrap.

Mine (M&P Pro 9mm) doesn't spring back unless it's not all the way at the 6 o'clock position, like h20too said.

Unless there was some sort of mid-production change that I'm unaware of, it may just need a little "breaking in."

Purity of heart, strength of arms, and truth in words.
Old February 2, 2013, 03:24 PM   #5
ShootingNut

Both my M&P .40 full size, as well as my M&P compact has the sear lever
that you have to push down before releasing the slide. No pulling of the trigger is required on mine.
But, my compact's release lever will snack back if I don't hold it in position,
while I pull back on the slide to release. Doesn't bother me, just something to get used to doing when field stripping the compact.
SN
Old February 2, 2013, 03:32 PM   #6
TheGoldenState

Thanks for the replies,

I am well aware of pushing the sear down to disconnect in lieu of pulling the trigger, but thats just not how I do it. My .40 is the older model, requiring the trigger pull so i'm used to it. I don't need to pull out the grip tool when I can just pull the trigger. I definitely like that Smith gives me the option of both, though. Mine is not the mag disconnect fwiw.

Either takedown method still requires the lever to be down. I am certain I am pushing it all the way down, but it will not stay down unless I continue to hold it down; it springs back up into original position.

Shootingnut, you have the same problem with the lever than. I agree, not too big a deal, but just something thats not the way it should be, especially on the full size.
Old February 2, 2013, 03:37 PM   #7
ShootingNut

I agree that it should not snap back, my full size stays in place.
No idea why the compact doesn't.
I have always loved my M&P's, put a Surefire X300 light on the full sized,
my bedside gun.
Old February 2, 2013, 05:14 PM   #8
ShamrockArmory

I just double checked and my compact doesn't do it either.

I wasn't aware that the older M&P models didn't have the sear disconnect. Interesting.

Purity of heart, strength of arms, and truth in words.
Old February 2, 2013, 06:12 PM   #9
7jinxed7

I checked mine. I have the 9c and its springs back every time. I take out the mag, rack the slide lock it,push the lever down in the magwell and rotate the takedown lever and it springs back everytime.
I didn't realize it was a problem. Mine shoots fine. I did notice that theirs a shiny spot on the take down lever right about where the guide rod sits. Don't know what thats about.
Old February 2, 2013, 06:35 PM   #10
TheGoldenState

Jinxed,

3 in one thread; must be a common issue. It shouldn't be.

Again, the shooting part is perfect, absolutely no complaints. But It's mildly annoying and when I spend Money on something new in box, I like it all to work right (like my other M&P does).

I'll have to call Smith, I just wonder if the turn around time will be worth fixing a non-function-affecting (as far as the shooting goes) issue.
Old February 2, 2013, 06:46 PM   #11
TunnelRat

Quote:
I'll have to call Smith, I just wonder if the turn around time will be worth fixing a non-function-affecting (as far as the shooting goes) issue.
I had an M&P that didn't have the issue, my buddy's did. Typical turn around is probably a month.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 2, 2013, 06:49 PM   #12
TheGoldenState

Quote:
I had an M&P that didn't have the issue, my buddy's did. Typical turn around is probably a month.
I'm 1 and 1.

I'll call, if it is indeed a month, I'll just deal with it.
Old February 3, 2013, 12:06 PM   #13
FineUpstanding

Mine has always sprung back if you didn't hold it. Owner's manual says to rotate the lever down and hold it, so I would think it's not a flaw that it flips back. Then again, in searching for a diagram to see what could be causing it, I found an armorer's manual which just says to rotate it down...nothing explicitly saying to hold it down. Without being able to see inside, it looks like the guide rod/spring is pushing against the take-down lever, which when flipped down should have the round side of the 'cam' against the guide rod, so to me, it should rotate back if not held down. My two cents.
Old February 3, 2013, 04:00 PM   #14
NCW Ray

Both my M&P40 & M&P40c did this. There are several threads on some of the M&P forums about it. If having to hold it down bothers you, there is also a "fix". I did the "fix" on both of my pistols and it cured the lever from popping back up.

Here's a pic of the "bump" or some call it a "sprue" mark I filed down. (note: if you screw up the lever they only cost about $5 to replace)
Old February 3, 2013, 08:29 PM   #15
Theohazard

I've taken down some M&Ps where the lever stayed down the whole time, some where the lever needed to be held down, and some where the lever would stay down unless you made any jarring motion to the gun and it would spring back.

Sure, it's a slight annoyance, but it's super easy to keep the lever held down with your left thumb while you pull the trigger and take the slide off.
Old February 4, 2013, 07:02 PM   #16
TheGoldenState

Quote:
Sure, it's a slight annoyance, but it's super easy to keep the lever held down with your left thumb while you pull the trigger and take the slide off.
No doubt about it. I won't even be sending it in. But right is right esp. when you're paying money for something NIB.

Ray,

thanks for the info! I'll have to check and see if there is a "bump" on mine, though I am not too keen on filing down. Are there more accounts of this?
Old February 4, 2013, 08:57 PM   #17
Justice06RR

I think that issue is a hit or miss on any M&P. I owned both a full size M&P40 and M&P9. The 9 didn't have this issue (brand new), but the 40 did because it was used. I dunno what the deal is, but it didn't really bother me as the pistol didn't require too much cleaning and it ran 100% of the time.
Old February 5, 2013, 09:43 AM   #18
J_Grimm

Mine does this too, I thought it was a feature to make sure you really wanted to take the thing apart
Old February 5, 2013, 11:20 PM   #19
TheGoldenState

Quote:
The 9 didn't have this issue (brand new), but the 40 did because it was used.
From all the responses I don't it being used was the issue. I am comfortable in assuming it was probably like that right out of the box for the original owner.

Still have to call SW….super busy….will make a point to do it Thursday.