The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 11, 2013, 11:26 PM   #1
ftballgod

30 carbine question

i am looking to sell a rifle i got from my uncle. it is a inland 30 caliber m1 carbine with a inland gerneral motors barrel. i am having trouble finding a value for it because of one thing. it also had Blue Sky Arlington, VA stamped on the barrel. i have been able to find out a but about the blue sky company. some bad some good.

this gun shoots great and i was really impressed with how accurate it is for an old gun with iron sights.

prices on the carbines are all over the place. can anyone help he with an asking price for this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0293.jpg (249.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0294.jpg (249.0 KB, 50 views)
Old February 12, 2013, 01:52 AM   #2
AR15barrels

I remember that some blue sky guns were guns that were manufactured from guns that were previously cut in half.
I don't remember if that was the deal on m1 carbines or not though.
Is there any evidence of the receiver being re-welded?
Old February 12, 2013, 02:45 AM   #3
Hook686

I'm not sure, but the Blue Sky stamp may be an import mark. I think this lowers the value. You might go to the CMP M1 Carbine forum

http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6

and ask this question.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old February 12, 2013, 03:37 AM   #4
bamaranger

yeah

Blue Sky is an import mark.
Old February 12, 2013, 06:47 AM   #5
lmccrock

Blue Sky was an importer. They had a reputation for stamping the import mark a little too hard on the barrel causing accuracy problems. If the gun shoots fine, you just have to convince a potential buyer of such.
Old February 12, 2013, 05:27 PM   #6
jaughtman

Still selling?

Send me a PM with the range you are thinking of.

J
Old February 12, 2013, 07:22 PM   #7
ftballgod

the gun was not cut in half. everything on it looks great.

i know that the blue sky stamp is an import mark

the the stamp must not be a problem i have shot around 200 rounds through it with no problems.

i dont know how much to ask for it. that is still my problem.
Old February 12, 2013, 07:41 PM   #8
Slamfire

Blue Sky imported a bunch of Garands from Korea, probably that is where your Carbine came.

The Garands were refinished but beat to heck. Barrels were all shot out and/or huge muzzle crowns.
Old February 12, 2013, 07:44 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Better pictures would help, but the fully upgraded carbines are the most common, and Inlands are the most common overall, so yours is not one of the higher priced ones. In 95%, it would probably go for around $1000.

The sling does not appear to be original, but again better pictures would help.

Jim
Old February 12, 2013, 08:32 PM   #10
Hook686

I bought a few Inland CMP M1 carbines a few years ago for $495. As I recall Blue Sky imports were about $350 then. Here is a link for a year ago where prices seem to have been on the order of $500.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/vie...f=194&t=116213

At $600-700 I would not buy a Blue Sky import, but you might find someone willing to buy it at that price. Good luck.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.

Last edited by Hook686; February 12, 2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old February 12, 2013, 10:28 PM   #11
ftballgod

ok, so it sounds like i should look to get $500-$1000 at least that huge target should be easy to hit. lol

i do have 100 rounds of ammo and an extra 30 round mag that goes with it. hopefully that will help sweeten the deal.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:05 AM   #12
Murdock

Oh my God! An import? Touched by foreign hands! Yuck.

I have had an Underwood, imported by Blue Sky, since about 1990. It's a great little gun, goes into about 3 inches at 50 yards, and I can't recall the last time I even thought about it being an "import."

Bought it for about $225, IIRC. It's not for sale.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:40 PM   #13
kcub

If it shoots good and you only stand to get 500 why not just keep it.

Some people look at it as a poor substitute for a .30-06. I look at it as a great substitute for a handgun. Especially with dpx ammo.
Old February 14, 2013, 11:40 PM   #14
ftballgod

yeah, i thought about keeping it. but i never shoot it. i have plenty of other handguns and rifles. and this is my only 30 carbine. so i dont want to stock ammo for a gun i never shoot. i would rather someone else have it who can fully enjoy it.
Old February 15, 2013, 12:11 AM   #15
kilimanjaro

$500-$750 is a good range of prices, and no reason to go below $600 unless you want the cash. $700 is what Big 5 Sporting Goods sold mixmaster M1s for in 2012.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:10 PM   #16
gak

Blue Sky I believe was the largest "importer" (or perhaps more accurately re-importer) of carbines over the past several decades.
Before the hype of late which has driven virtually all carbines up, "imports" were ones often said to shy away from and going, generally, in the $400-650 range in the past decade or two (notwithstanding Big 5's often inflated prices for what often is junk, at least cosmetically).

As the 40+ year owner of a an inherited, genuine unmolested (including un-refit) '44 Inland, and having handled and shot many other "pure GI's" over the years, I was one of those pooh-poohing the Blue Sky's and their ilk. However, I've changed my tune a bit. Having purchased a GI import a few years ago that thoroughly fooled me it wasn't one 'til a smith showed me the very faint and much smaller than normal font import marks on the underside of the barrel (vs usual side) I had taken to be a scratch where something was scraped across the barrel...I now say "it all depends." As I've discovered, some like mine are a "no issue gun," same as many "regular GI's." All being an "import" means is that the gun has an even more unknown (but admittedly also sometimes apparent poor) use and storage history, having been in usually unknown conditions overseas. But, like me, you can luck out and end up with one with no "worse" use/abuse than an above average-or-better condition non-import. Since my purchase I've seen/handled many "worthy" imports.
In short, don't reject an "import" 'til thoroughly checking it out.

Tags
carbine m1 m-1 .30 cal , price