The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 31, 2012, 11:13 PM   #1
marine6680

Low odor gun cleaner?

Looking for a general purpose cleaner... something to replace Hoppe's #9. (I like the smell but room mates do not)

I have some Breakfree CLP spray and liquid, but I find it doesn't clean as fast as Hoppe's. The spray has an odor as well.

The liquid is old... 6 years or so... also curious about it, as mine seemed milky and had clumps in it when I bought it, is that normal?

I never used it because I wasn't sure. Haven't used any other brands of CLP. I used CLP in the military, and the Breakfree didn't seem the same. I know the spray version is different from the liquid, and seems more like the stuff I used in the military.
Old August 1, 2012, 02:10 AM   #2
Sport45

I usually just use it for bores, but Boretech Eliminator is great stuff and no odor. Or low odor, depending on the sensitivity of your smeller.
Old August 1, 2012, 02:21 AM   #3
mete

Spray cleaners --The problem with sprays is that half gets where you want it and the other half into your lungs ! Far safer to use a liquid.
Old August 1, 2012, 02:39 AM   #4
sigcurious

Frog Lube, doesn't do copper fouling, but as a CLP it works well. It comes in paste and liquid forms. Faint pleasant smell.
Old August 1, 2012, 04:21 AM   #5
marine6680

I have a foaming bore cleaner that is low odor... but to harsh for general cleaning.
Old August 1, 2012, 05:56 AM   #6
buckhorn_cortez

Gunzilla and Froglube liquid are extremely low odor. Of the two, I think Gunzilla works better as a cleaner as it takes more fouling out of the bore than Froglube. For a copper remover, KG-12 has no odor. Shooter's Choice isn't too bad. I've used it for 25 years with 30% Kroil and clean indoors without complaints from my wife.
Old August 1, 2012, 06:07 AM   #7
lmccrock

Maybe some incense and patchouli to show the roommates it could be worse?

Not sure about clumps in Breakfree, it used to need to be shaken to mix all the components, including some milky stuff that settled out. Does mixing break up the clumps?

Also, I would suggest exhausting the fumes regardless of the odor. Crack a window, and use a small exhaust fan.
Old August 1, 2012, 06:30 AM   #8
mehavey

Quote:
For a copper remover, KG-12 has no odor.
Which is why I pair it up w/ KG-1 for all powder fouling -- which is 90% of most all cleaning.
Not only does it clean powder as good as/better than anthing else I've found but it also has no odor*
and takes a pretty good shot at initial copper as well.
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=kg-1

* Ultimate testament: I'm allowed to clean guns in the kitchen now.

Last edited by mehavey; August 1, 2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old August 1, 2012, 07:28 AM   #9
stevelyn

MPro-7 Gun Cleaner is a cleaner and has no odor or very low odor that somewhat resembles Windex.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old August 1, 2012, 09:49 AM   #10
wizrd

Find new roomates. I don't think I could associate with people who don't like the smell of Hoppe's # 9.
Old August 1, 2012, 10:02 AM   #11
mehavey

Quote:
Find new roomates. I don't think I could associate
with people who don't like the smell of Hoppe's #9
Acceptance of gun-cleaning in the kitchen puts her in the 1-in-a-100,000 club of her contemporaries.
(A pearl of great price these days)

Besides, today's Hoppe's compared to yesterday's Hoppe's is a pale shadow. Once they took
the nitrobenzene out, it was only suitable as aftershave.

Still, I occasionally leave a bottle open w/ the cap off just to invoke my Wayback Machine)

Old August 1, 2012, 02:24 PM   #12
marine6680

Its a friend of mine... he shoots as well, but he had a surgery that made the smell too intense for him now... he used to love it..

Will check out KG-1 and the Mpro
Old August 1, 2012, 02:55 PM   #13
aarondhgraham

This product is for you then,,,

You need some of these air fresheners,,,

Product Features
  • Smells Just Like Hoppe's #9
  • For Real Men Only
  • Usually Not Wife Approved
  • 101% Moneyback Guarantee
  • Warning ... May Cause The Urge To Hunt Something

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 2, 2012, 03:12 PM   #14
Stevie-Ray

Hoppes Elite is nose-friendly, probably the best. I find CLP is also good for indoors and RIG-2 has a pleasant smell rather than none. Somebody wrote Shooters Choice isn't too bad? Have they changed their formula in the last several years? I find that stuff disgusting!
Old August 2, 2012, 08:17 PM   #15
marine6680

CLP works, just not as fast as dedicated cleaners. I went to order some KG-1, and stopped when I seen shipping... $15 for a 16oz bottle... $15 to ship... I need to find it local (fat chance) or a cheaper place to order it.

On a side note...

I found that soaking the bore with a spray of CLP and letting it sit overnight (or two) with the barrel pointing down, then using the foaming bore cleaner (using a non-ammonia version that doesn't smell) letting it sit for 15 minutes. The barrel comes clean with just a few passes of the brush and a couple patches of cleaner or CLP.

It was squeaky clean, I was surprised as I was sure the lead fouling would be heavy and hard to clean... as it was a pain the last time I cleaned it. Did this with the Ruger 10/22 that had fired a mix of 500 rounds of plated and lead rounds. (all in one shooting trip) It may have been the fact I shot the RNL rounds last, and they tended to be a bit harder lead than the plated hollowpoints, I will be paying closer attention next time prior to starting and seeing how bad the leading is and if it really does help.
Old August 2, 2012, 10:03 PM   #16
FireForged

MPRO7 is odorless, non-toxic and biodegradable. Its all I have used for 15 years.
Old August 3, 2012, 09:49 AM   #17
BPowderkeg

Quote:
something to replace Hoppe's #9.
never would i replace my Hoppes #9 with an odorless cleaner ! see below comment

Quote:
Find new roomates. I don't think I could associate with people who don't like the smell of Hoppe's # 9.
Hoppes #9 is the choice perfume of a true "gun nut".
Old February 24, 2013, 10:54 AM   #18
Lunk

Low odor gun cleaner

While searching on Google for my website to see where it comes up, I noticed this thread where someone was looking for a gun cleaner that didn't stink and worked well. As a general contractor and cabinet maker, I have had my hands is all kinds of chemicals and after 33 years my hands were taking their toll.
What I have come up with while tinkering around in my shop is a gun cleaner that is biodegradable (some care, some don't, it just turned out that way) that is non-toxic, non-flammable, no harsh chemicals, pleasant odor, easy on the skin but so tough on carbon that the black powder guys are impressed. I works on copper and lead fouling, but if you have a copper or lead buildup then there are products on the market designed just for that.
I know that some of you like the smell of some products and have not given any thought to what is in the stuff but if you do some research you will find some chemicals that you shouldn't get on your hands or inhale. Some of the products are also highly flammable. I never worried about the solvents I got on my hands until I was diagnosed with a hereditary nerve disorder that quite possibly was passed down through my father that was an aircraft mechanic when they were using a solvent that has been linked to this type of nerve disorder. Food for thought. If you are interested, please visit my website at www.gunwerkz.com.
Old February 24, 2013, 11:22 AM   #19
Wrothgar

Froglube smells like mint gum, and you can even eat it. I love it.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:22 PM   #20
BigD_in_FL

For a good solvent cleaner - look at Shooter's Choice
Old February 24, 2013, 12:27 PM   #21
adamc

I have been using BALLISTOL..

Not sure if it qualifies, but nobody has complaigned

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"
Old February 24, 2013, 03:37 PM   #22
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Gunzilla
Old February 24, 2013, 06:49 PM   #23
ClydeFrog

scents..

My 1st tad of advice is; www.ballistol.com or www.brownells.com .
I've used Ballistol's CLP off & on since around 1997.
The light pine scent is okay & it's CFC free/non toxic. It's great around the home or shop too(wood, rubber, metal, etc).
Many like the CLP, Gunzilla too, www.gunzilla.us . It's popular with US combat troops in SW Asia aka; the sandbox .

Hoppes #9 is fine with me for indoor gun care. It's been around for decades for a good reason.

Outdoors or a well ventilated area is best for serious gun care/cleaning but Ballistol or Gunzilla is okay.
Clyde
Old February 25, 2013, 10:53 AM   #24
DieHard06

I have found Weapon's Shield to be an excellent CLP. I have used Hoppes, and Break Free CLP. My wife couldn't stand the Hoppes because of the smell, and Break Free is good. However, Weapon's Shield is the best I have ever used and smells fine. You can go to their website, but the best price I have found is on Ebay. They are a newer brand. I actually heard about them first on this forum. I believe the owner of the company is or was a member of this forum. They are beginning to pick up momentum though.
Old February 25, 2013, 11:05 AM   #25
bumnote

MPro-7....

It's first and foremost it's a great line of products.
Has no order, I use it in the house...hey I'm single and don't have to clean the guns outside.
It's also non-toxic, so if I spilled a drop or two I didn't have to worry about poisoning the dog. Didn't stain the carpet either.