The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 8, 2012, 02:28 PM   #1
BoogieMan

Pump action rifle love?

My first rifle was a Remington 7600 in 30-06. Dad bought it for me when I was about 14 because he loved his so much. My 16 y/o son now has my Dads. Anyway, I have never shot past 200 yds and at that range I can put 4 rounds in a 1.5" circle. I have always heard that pumps are the least accurate. In the NE or any woods hunting I cant see ever needing more, quick follow up shots and near perfect reliability are great also. I use a BPS for Duck, Upland or anything else that requires a scatter gun so easy transition.
Just wondering why I dont hear more about them. Any other bark jerkers out there?
Old May 8, 2012, 03:29 PM   #2
twobit

I have a 1960's era 760 Carbine in 30-06 that is my hog gun. I have it set up for night hunting with a green laser and a red light. That carbine length barrel is a real flamethrower at night but it is nimble. I also have used 870 shotguns since the age of ten (that was 40 years ago). The 760 and 860 are so similar that muscle memory learning for either is identical.

I used my mother's 760 in .270 Winchester to kill my first deer when I was five. The Remington pumps are great guns. They just suffer the "image" of "it's not a bolt action so it can't be a real deer rifle", which is hogwash. I prefer a bolt action for over 200 yard shots but there ain't nothing wrong with a 760 for brush hunting and quick follow ups. Pumps do have a draw back at the gun range when you are using a bench rest.
Old May 8, 2012, 03:43 PM   #3
PawPaw

I"ve got an old 760 that lives at my son's house nowadays, and it's a fine shooting rifle. It really likes Reloder 22 and 150 grain Hornady bullets, to the point where it groups them under an inch when the nut behind the trigger has his game in order. Yeah, that's a three-shot group.

It's also a fine cast bullet rifle when I use a reduced charge of 4895 and the Lyman 311041 bullet. It throws them at about 1800 fps and gives minute-of-oil-can accuracy out to 100 yards.

The thing about the 760/7600 rifle is that the barrel is floated by design. It's an inherently accurate rifle when the shooter does his part. I'm always on the lookout for another good example on the used gun racks, I'd especially like one in .308, or if I could find an example that Remington stocked for awhile, the 7615, which is a .223 that takes AR mags, I'd put it on layaway in a minute.

I'm a fan of pump rifles and when one turns up in the used gun racks, I give it a thorough look-see.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com

Last edited by PawPaw; May 8, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old May 8, 2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Husqvarna

hey dudes if you are fans/users maybe you could help me out http://thefiringline.com/forums/show....php?p=5071673

took one out on loan from a shop and ran into problems with the pump locking up after firing the first shot
Old May 8, 2012, 05:27 PM   #5
Big Pard

I own and have owned many pump rifles and they are generally very accurate and ultra reliable. I currently use a Model 6 in 270 that has accounted for many deer with the furthest being 430 yds. They reason for not hearing more about them may be that there aren't as many "upgrades" for them as there are for a bolt action or they may not be considered as fancy/flashy as an automatic. In a nutshell, the pump is the best compromise of the two. Fast follow up shots as well as great accuracy.

Old May 8, 2012, 06:10 PM   #6
BIG P

Been a 7600 fan for years,My favorite is 22'' 270Win.This rifle & myself have taken over 150 deer & twice that many hogs.It has no problem shooting 1MOA with remington 130gr.box ammo,better with hand loads.

It did take a while to get the trigger right,it was rough.Imo it is one of the best hunting rifles a guy could ask for.Reliable, Fast,accurate.lite & a good lookin rifle.As somone else said I keep an eye out often on the used rack would'nt mind having a couple more.I like them because you dont see them much,Down here anyways. I think the folks that havent tried them are missing out on a fun reliable great rifle for the money.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:56 PM   #7
Stick_man

I'll second the opinions that have been expressed about the Rem pump guns. I have had my 760 for about 30 yrs now and have taken many deer with it. I find it as accurate as any bolt gun I have ever fired and is as reliable as they come. Have had more problems with bolt guns than the pump gun. I too always have my eye out for a good used Remmy pumper. Great for leftys, fast on target, accurate, and not everybody and their dog has one. I would be very interested in one chambered for .25-06 or 6mmRem. I know they are out there, just never able to get my hands on one.
Old May 8, 2012, 10:38 PM   #8
gunsmokeTPF

I realize that all are writing about pumps used for big game and I can say I miss my Ithaca model37 12ga. Deluxe Deerslayer that I sold many years ago foolishly. That shotgun did what it had to do flawlessly. But last year I finally picked up something I wanted desperately as a kid that I thought I grew out of years ago, but always frustrated me for never getting one. I liked the big guns, but always felt like something was missing.

I waited over 53 years to buy an original winchester model 62 .22 pump made in 1937 that's engraved and looks like new condition. I used to go to Coney Island and shoot those gallery guns and got hooked. I would've settled for a Remington, but always loved that exposed hammer. I'm sure the engraving and refinishing isn't factory done, but it looks like #8 engraving and factory blue with all markings being sharp. Unfortunately there are no factory records that exist for that rifle due to a fire from what I've been told.

I bought it from a very well known gunshop in Pa. where I've been a customer before and very satisfied as well, for a price so cheap I should be in jail. As a kid I'd never be able to get one that sweet. I'm go'in rabbit hunting with it soon and after taking it to the range I can tell that those frisky wabbits are as good as dead. It works like brand new and is dead on. Now I can sleep nights. I'd show pictures of the engraving, but can only send through an email. Sometimes size doesn't count.
Old May 9, 2012, 01:16 AM   #9
BIG P

I dont mean to Hijack just wondering what optics Ya'll use on the 7600's & 760's. I use a 3x9x50 Leopold mounted close to the barrel,woods & swamps here can get pretty dark.

Would have to agree with STICK MAN really would like to have one in 25-06. But the 270 does a great job.
Old May 9, 2012, 02:31 AM   #10
NWPilgrim

My Dad was a lefty and had a 20" 760 in .308 that was very accurate. Probably from the free floated barrel resulting from the pump design. Longest he shot was about 340 yds, one shot = one elk. It wears a modestly priced Bushnell Banner 3-9x32mm scope from about 1960.

The 760 has been utterly reliable, accurate and great for lefties and normal people. Only downside I can see is the pump mechanism can rattle while you are moving around. Just have to move slowly and carefully for stalking anyway.
Old May 9, 2012, 03:18 AM   #11
FrankenMauser

I've always liked the idea of a centerfire pump action.
...but I've never wanted any of the actual production rifles.
They're just too heavy for the hunting I do. (Mountains take their toll.)

However, one of my prized possessions is a pump action .22 carbine. Most .22 pumps are short enough, as is. My "Gallery" carbine, however, is even shorter. With a 16.5" barrel, it just feels like a long-barreled revolver that actually balances. Love it.
Old May 9, 2012, 07:37 AM   #12
BoogieMan

I am glad to hear Im not the only enthusiast of these fantastic rifles.
My modern 7600 30-06 was made in the late 80's, has the carbine barrel. When my Dad first started shooting his back in the mid to late 60's his buddy was experimenting with reloads. After a lot of trial and error they came up with using the 165 Sierra Boat tails, sorry I dont know any more specifics. By time I started using my rifle Federal came out with a nearly identical load in there premium line using the same bullet. I am usually hunting up in Tioga County PA with mine and have found that the round is absolutely devastating on Deer with most shots being between 30-70 yards.
Old May 9, 2012, 08:33 AM   #13
Doyle

PawPaw, it's amazing how much we always seem to have in common. I have a 760BDL that looks just like that. It shoots better than I do.
Old May 10, 2012, 12:14 AM   #14
bamaranger

pumps

My first deer rifle was a Rem Model 14 in .30 Rem. I do not have that rifle, my Dad traded it away, but I bought one just like it in a fit of sentiment at the first opportunity and still have it. We hunted in plaid Woolrich suits too!

Ahh, the NE, PA in particular, and the pump rifle. The "Amish Machinegun". I wonder, is the Rem pump carbine in .30-06 still the #1 rifle up there? Will PA ever change and let hunters use semi's?

My last Rem pump was an early .22 Fieldmaster (?) (can't think of model #). The one with the dovetailed front sight and vertically grooved forearm. I literally wore that rifle out!
Old May 23, 2012, 11:12 AM   #15
Husqvarna

I just came across this
Krieghoff Semprio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3oH1v4lczo
[IMG]http://www.krieghoff.com/images/stories/hunting_guns/semprio/semprio_intro_copy.gif[/IMG
I guess it would be very awkward for you americans used to pumps to do it backwards, and the hammer is backwards to!

and the whole construction seems fragile. but I don't get it mechanically why the whole rifle has to split in two and the barrel move like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6cRqqetKeg

edit better video, they name the price as around 4500dollars

Last edited by Husqvarna; May 23, 2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old May 23, 2012, 12:39 PM   #16
Keg

Paw Paw..here's my 760 carbine in 308....tack driver...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 308%20001.jpg (131.2 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Keg; May 24, 2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old May 28, 2012, 11:59 PM   #17
tahoe2

keg; that's a nice collection.
the only pump gun I ever had was an old beat up winchester gallery gun (22 short) back in the sixties as a little boy. loved that gun, I always wanted a 760/7600 just never had the right deal materialize. But I picked up a Rem 7400 with a cracked stock in .280 Rem for $200 bucks some 9 years ago, put a synthetic stock on it and it shoots 1-1/4" with 150grn core-lokts.
Old June 2, 2012, 07:02 PM   #18
Jack O'Conner

This my older 760 in .243 with Simmons AETEC scope. A genuine tackdriver with Premium ammo featuring 95 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip ammo. This pump gun has slain dozens of 'lopes and deer. Its an accurate and hard hitting combo that is under rated by majority of gun scribes.

Jack

Old June 2, 2012, 07:31 PM   #19
Keg

Tahoe..thanks....Those are all 308's....

Jack..who would ever think of antelope hunting with a Remington pump instead of a bolt gun? It says a lot about the gun....I like that pic....
Old June 2, 2012, 08:29 PM   #20
jfb

People that think the 760/7600 Rem pump rifle isn't as accurate as a bolt gun don't understand that the 760/7600 IS a bolt gun, but instead of a bolt handle, it has a cam that rotates the bolt via the pump handle. Yes it doesn't have the extraction power that a bolt gun has but it has many more things going for it that a bolt gun does not! The barrel is full length floating and it doesn't have any bedding issues because there isn't a bed, and the 760 has 14 locking lugs, the 7600 has 4 (both stronger and stiffer than a bolt gun)!!!!! I have owned a 30-06 760 for more than 40 years and have made 400 yard shots on deer and antelope. I have taken deer, elk, moose, pronghorn antelope, and caribou with it, almost all with one shot. Every year I prove again that it will put 5 shots into an inch at 100 yards. I used it for hunting groundhogs and have put down two at 380 yards (the longest distance on that farm) with Speer 130 gr hollow points. I do admit that bolt guns have better triggers, but that won't make up for all the other advantages the Rem pump rifles have! Do I love my 760........he he he, YEP!
Old June 2, 2012, 08:41 PM   #21
BIG P

Here's one hunt the 7600 REMMY in 270 helped with quick back to back shots from 50 to 250 yards.This rifle has done this several times,Ilove it.

Anyone that thinks a 7600 can't hold its own in the deer woods are missing out on a great Deer rifle,I rest My case.

Last edited by BIG P; June 2, 2012 at 08:57 PM.