The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 18, 2012, 07:12 PM   #1
Redneck_Riot

WAlther PPKS out of battery

I have a Smith and Wesson Walther PPKS that is having out of battery issues, I have detailed cleaned the pistol, have ordered a new recoil,fring pin, and ejector spring currently in the mail. While I wait for the replacement parts I would like to ask the members here what is the most common reason for an out of battery failure? also I am having FTF both feed and fire, when I force the slide closed the pistol fires normally and this is why I think it's the recoil spring tension. I took this gun in on a trade and have no idea of the round count. I appreciate any help or insights on this matter, thanks.
Old January 18, 2012, 07:15 PM   #2
sirgilligan

Please don't take this wrong because I don't know your experience level with firearms... so, you probably already know there is a big end and little end on the recoil spring, the smaller end (tighter fit) goes on first down the barrel.

Sorry if you already know this, and I don't mean to be anything but helpful.
Old January 19, 2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Redneck_Riot

no offense taken, thanks for the help
Old January 19, 2012, 09:04 PM   #4
DnPRK

Disassemble the slide and clean out the hole for the extractor spring. Then clean and lightly oil the extractor spring and the extractor plunger.
Old January 20, 2012, 04:17 PM   #5
Roughedge

Are you shooting reloads or factory loads? if the crimp is off you wont get the correct headspace.
Old January 20, 2012, 04:35 PM   #6
Redneck_Riot

all factory loads
Old January 20, 2012, 10:34 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Can you describe the out-of-battery failure a bit more? Those guns are straight blowback and usually can be a bit out of battery with no problem. And the mechanism that prevents firing out of battery so much that cases swell or burst is pretty good and fail safe and rarely has a problem.

Also, and I hesitate to say this, make sure the ammo is correct, .32 ACP or .380 ACP, not, say, .32 S&W.

Jim