The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 9, 2011, 07:47 AM   #1
Naby

What to look for and consider in a home defense shotgun?

I have wanted to pick up a shotgun for home/self defense for some time but I need to do some more homework before I do so. I know my question has been asked a lot, but I am looking for more than makes and model numbers. Instead I'd like to know what different considerations there are when choosing one as I don't know much about shotguns. Reliability and simplicity (I'm a revolver guy) would likely be my main considerations over features, etc. Hopefully that makes my post a little different than others I have found using the search feature. I have been on many manufacturer's web sites and I can't make heads or tails of all the different models.
Old August 9, 2011, 08:15 AM   #2
oneounceload

Simplest is the single shot - downside is one shot before reloading. Simplest operation of all types

Next is the double barrel (preferably with two triggers) - basically 2 single shots put together for simplistic and easy operation. Downside again is capacity before reloading. Upside, these are shorter than any others, (except the single shot).

Next will be the one just about everyone will prefer - the pump. Fairly inexpensive, capacity can be enlarged, there's enough doodads and gizmos to make it as mall-ninja as you want, and most are fairly reliable. Downside - they can be short-shucked and jammed in an emergency when you are panicing. Upside is they can easily be converted to other uses like hunting and clay games.

Next up would be the semi-automatic. Capacity can be enlarged, (the Saiga has box and drum mags as well). Can be faster on follow up shots, depending on training. Tends to be a little more finicky about ammo it likes and thus reliably feeds. Tends to be the most expensive of all of the options (unless you cut down some classic Parker SxS or similar)

What you'll tend to see is the majority will have either the Mossberg 500 or the Remington 870 pump guns. This is basically a Ford vs. Chevy scenario. There are a lot of other excellent choices in all of the various types

Last edited by oneounceload; August 9, 2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old August 9, 2011, 08:54 AM   #3
idek

I agree with oneounceload's statements, but will just add a couple more.

It seems that there's a couple different approaches to home defense. Some people have more of a search-and-destroy mentality where they are going to deliberately seek out and confront an invader. Others plan to grab their gun and hunker down (with their family if applicable) in a safe room while waiting for law enforcement to arrive. Depending on your approach, your needs may be different.

You don't necessarily need a tactical model. Many people rely on their hunting shotguns, and there's really nothing wrong with that. In fact, if one gun is used for many purposes, the user may be more familiar and proficient with it. The potential advantages of tactical models are that they usually have shorter barrels, which can make maneuvering around the house easier, and they tend to hold more shells (like maybe 8 in a tactical gun vs. 5 in a standard pump or semi-auto).

A lot of tactical models have different grips/stocks than hunting/sporting guns. However, a lot of the shotguns used by military and law enforcement just have standard stocks, which leads me to believe that fancy tactical stocks don't necessarily live up to their marketing hype. Some tactical stocks also change your sighting plane and/or make it more difficult to manipulate the gun's safety switch. Guns with a pistol grip only (nothing to put against your shoulder) are discouraged by people who know what they're doing. So are forends with pistol grips. So this gun is a no-no.

As for accessorizing your gun, there's a lot of stuff out there, but much of it is more about looking cool than being functional. There are various red dot, holographic, or ghost ring sights available, but at typical HD distances (which statistically tend to be inside of 8 yards) I question the necessity of such sights. Many experts recommend mounting a flashlight and a sling on the gun, and leaving it at that.

As oneounceload said, some semi-autos may be finicky about ammo, but in general, they've come a long way over the past few decades, and I wonder if a semi-auto might actually be more dependable than a pump in a stressful situation. I say this, because semi-autos leave less room for human error, and I tend to think the shooter may be more prone to short-shuck a pump in HD situations than an auto is to malfunction. Most semi-autos will also have less felt recoil than pumps, which may be helpful if and when multiple shots are needed.

Last edited by idek; August 9, 2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old August 9, 2011, 09:01 AM   #4
jrothWA

Reliability and how familiar you are with it!

Don't jusy buy something and NOT practice with it. Get to know it, NOW!

Are you the only user or will others (wife, elder children), may have to get a lesser (more recoil tolerant) gauge??

Any intent for hunting later ??

What type house environment, Close-in city, suburbs, Rural??

What is your perceived threat?

You need to give more info for us to help??
Old August 9, 2011, 10:18 AM   #5
Naby

Thanks for the replies.

To jrothWA:
I practice with firearms regularly and I do not intend to defend myself with anything I have not trained with unless in dire circumstances. My wife may become a user later on and kids maybe way down the road, for now it would just be for me. I have no intent on hunting unless my life depended on it. My house is in a suburb, with close neighbors. The most common threat would be a home invasion or robbery (not too common in my area, but it happens). A potential threat would be civil unrest, rioting, and looting following a bad hurricane or other situation.

Who manufactures good, quality double barreled shotguns?
Old August 9, 2011, 10:30 AM   #6
BigJimP

Quality - double barrel guns --- are primarily from Beretta or Browning ( in the $ 1,500 - $ 4,000 markets.... / there are a lot of other lesser guns on the market ...( and in my opinion, most of them are junk ).

But really think thru this issue of "Defense" vs a "Fighting Gun"....most any shotgun can be a good Defensive weapon ...where what is optimal in a "Fighting gun" is a very different thing.

I will continue to rely on my handguns for primary Defense ( 1911's, or Revolvers are my go to guns ) .....so to me, the best choice in a shotgun is a gun you'll have some fun with - shoot some clays or whatever.../ meaning it should probably be a 12ga, with a 28" barrel and changeable screw in chokes - so you can use it for a variety of things...
----------
In pump guns - Mossberg and Remington make a number of serviceable guns. Remington 870 Wingmaster and Browning BPS - are both a cut above of 'serviceable'...in my opinion and are good buys at $ 500 - $ 600.

In 'double guns' - the Over Under is very popular - and both Browning and Beretta give you very well built - long term guns - at a fair price / and a lot of gun for the money. The popularity of O/U's has spawned all kinds of low end guns in the O/U market ...some look good / but are mechanically have a number of warts ...and you can't tell by looking at them. The Side by Side makers - to make a good SXS is more expensive than making an O/U ...and the number of low end guns is really astounding...

Before you buy a "double gun" - do some research at your local store ...and find out what new prices are vs used prices on any gun you're interested in. It'll become really apparent - on where the value is ( just like in used revolvers / which you do know ) ...there is a lot to it !

In my opinion ...good versatile shotgun in ...
a. pump actions are $ 500 - $ 750 ...
b. semi-autos are $ 800 - $ 2,000
c. Over Unders are $ 1,500 - $ 4,000

all action types have pros and cons ...depending on what you want to do with them ...just like 2 1/2" revolvers, vs 4", vs 6" ...vs mfg X, Y, Z ....and what you want long term ...

and no matter what - have some fun with the process !!

Last edited by BigJimP; August 9, 2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old August 9, 2011, 11:20 AM   #7
Naby

Wow! I had no idea that quality double barrel guns were that much! I kind of assumed the opposite. I had the same misconception between revolvers and semi-auto handguns, I keep thinking that simpler equated to cheaper.

Thanks for all the info.
Old August 9, 2011, 11:21 AM   #8
Lee Lapin

I'm going to take a different tack here, but I think it's important. In actuality the gun doesn't matter nearly as much as you the shooter does. I usually put it, "Most any gun will do, if YOU will do." Alternately, there are no hardware solutions to software problems.

Take a look at this little video teaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgwHQCJwWw . Old Clint makes the point far better than I ever could.

So in short, worry more about your ability to use a defensive shotgun safely, efficiently and effectively, and whatever make or model of shotgun you wind up owning won't matter nearly so much.

Stay safe,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old August 9, 2011, 11:26 AM   #9
mukibetser

Keep in mind that swapping out barrels on a pump takes about 10 seconds. For me, I saw no reason whatsoever to buy a dedicated "tactical" shotgun. I am not going to be breaching doors or clearing houses, or fighting my way through trenches. As others have mentioned, a standard, plain vanilla pump shotgun is more than adequate for 99% of home defense scenarios.

I have a Remington 870 Express with the faux wood stock, which came with a 28 inch barrel and cost around $325. I use it for informal trap shooting (with a full choke) using my trap thrower and it does the job quite well. When I get home from the range, I swap out the 28" barrel for an 18" barrel (cost $90) that has a quality flashlight mounted to it, with a pressure pad for instant activation. I keep it in the safe loaded with low recoil 00 buck. Voila, perfect HD shotgun.

If you want a tricked out $1000 "tactical" shotgun by all means have at it. But keep in mind that in all likelihood this not something you need.
Old August 9, 2011, 01:04 PM   #10
Superdave70_02

One thing I would like to add that hasn't been brought up is that most shotgun pellets, including light target loads, will still go though most walls in a house. Other than that my advice is to follow the KISS rule.
Old August 9, 2011, 07:19 PM   #11
Gehrhard

Short, simple, pump action. No fancy sights, just a bead. No tactical light or dazzling laser, pistol grip only, collapsible stock, vertical grip, etc...
Old August 9, 2011, 07:34 PM   #12
jmr40

Quote:
Wow! I had no idea that quality double barrel guns were that much! I kind of assumed the opposite. I had the same misconception between revolvers and semi-auto handguns, I keep thinking that simpler equated to cheaper.
Doubles aren't simpler. Same is true with revolvers. In fact both revolvers and doubles are very complex guns requiring lots of hand fitting of parts to build. Most pumps and autos can be stamped out easliy by machines and just put together, thus they are cheaper.

Traditionally pumps are thought of as more reliable, but most guys are coming around to the idea that autos usually prove to be more reliable in practice. Pumps will work with some ammo that autos won't run, they will continue to work when dirtier and abused. Plus they are much cheaper. But they rely on a human operator which is the weak link. Under stress the man behind the trigger often does not cycle them correctly causing malfunctions. Kept reasonably clean and fed good ammo a quality auto will probably prove more reliable in a SD situation.
Old August 9, 2011, 08:42 PM   #13
jrothWA

Naby, Good info, may I suggest...

that the current made pumps are very good for your situation.
Gauge is up to you but 12ga is the baseline, with 20ga as fallback. THe 16ga is limited in ammo selection best to avoid.

I'm familiar with the Mossberg 500, Ithaca M37 & Browning A-5. Others are O/U for hunting. The Mossberg and Ithaca are readily available as used firearms.

May I suggest a alternate, consider the M1 Carbine, you can use soft-nose ammo, recoil is light and accurate to 200yds.
Hoe this helps.
Old August 9, 2011, 09:24 PM   #14
FrosSsT

grab a mossberg 500 or 590a1, some boxes of 00 buckshot, practice with it until your comfortable and then beg to differ with whoever wants to break in and do harm to you or your family
Old August 9, 2011, 11:21 PM   #15
Deja vu

I think what ever you pick will be fine so long as you practice with it.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old August 10, 2011, 12:12 PM   #16
BigJimP

I've told this story before ...but my youngest son is in his early 30's ...a over the past 7 or 8 yrs ...he and all of his buddies are getting more and more into shotguns. He's been shooting trap ...and now skeet and sporting since he was 10 - using my guns.

All of his buddies - 10 or 12 of them ...all went down the "Tactical shotgun road" ...and while he was tempted, he resisted..( partly because I never did probably)...but in the last 5 yrs, since he and I have been back into shooting more Sporting ..and 5 stand, etc .. ( he lives about 3 hrs away with his family ) ....I've introduced some of his buddies and their dad's to clays ...and 28" and 30" semi-autos and O/U's, etc ...and shooting clays.

To a man...all 10 or 12 of those guys ...that bought those 12ga 18" barrel tactical shotguns ...not one of them, have fired one of those guns in the last 5 years...and now they are all investing in semi-autos or O/U's ...with changeable screw in chokes ...so they can get out to the clay fields and have some fun with their shotguns. 3 of the 12, have since sold their tactical shotguns ...and gone to a handgun mentality for personal defense...

Its only a small sample ....but I think its typical ...the tactical shotguns get shot a little when they're new / maybe a guy takes a class or two ...maybe shoots 500 or even 1,000 shells thru them ...and some heavy OO buck or whatever ...and realizes, they aren't that much fun to shoot ....

where I put 100 - 200 shells a week thru my clay target shotguns..../ and 600 or so rounds thru a variety of my handguns in a week ...

So again / just think thru your budget ...and what you want to do for Defense / or if you even need a shotgun for anything ...
Old August 10, 2011, 01:02 PM   #17
zippy13

I have a few competition shotguns, but none of them is my go to HD gun. Like Big Jim, I also shoot handguns. I love my comp shotguns, but for HD I chose large caliber revolvers. Why? Because my wife doesn't like practicing with shotguns nor pistols, but she's a dead shot with a revolver. What happens if there's an HD incident when she's home alone? It all comes down to the lowest common denominator. In my case is the simple "just pull the trigger" DA revolver.

If I were to use a shotgun, it wouldn't be a bargain basement pump gun; but, as 1-oz described, a compact double.
Old August 10, 2011, 01:47 PM   #18
Spats McGee
Staff

KISS -- IMO, this is critical. I would stick with a 12-ga pump, but one of the big factors in that choice is my experience. I simply have much more experience shooting a pump shotgun than any other kind. I also like the fact that, if I stuff the mag full and leave the chamber empty, the time to load one into the chamber is very short. I can't do that with any of the other types listed. (I don't actually do that, because of the Little McGee that lives at my place, but I could.) I also like the fact that a barrel or choke swap is quick and easy on a pump (or semi-auto, actually), letting me shoot clays, hunt, etc., without a great deal of expense or effort.
Old August 11, 2011, 10:40 AM   #19
Mudinyeri

IMHO, reliability, capacity and simplicity intersect at the double barrel shotgun. Yes, you can spend tens of thousands on a double barrel gun made of intricately engraved high tensile steel and Walnut briar. You can also find a serviceable double barrel for well under $1000.

I have a Stoeger Silverado coach gun that's never failed me. MSRP on that gun is $479.

I'm sure a number of people will malign the Stoeger and suggest that it belongs in a scrap heap but mine goes bang every time. What more can you ask of a gun?